PDA

View Full Version : Chest of Drawers - G&G Inspired

glenn bradley
04-22-2012, 5:34 PM
I usually only have one large piece in motion at a time. This is a chest of drawers (for me this time) that is nearing completion. Large projects for others tend to get priority; large projects for me tend to take longer as they get pushed to the side for almost anything. Where's the justice in the world? :D

There are some details for the base yet to make. After those, a bit of touch up and it will be time for finishing. The floating side panels were partially pre-finished to avoid and bare-wood-peek-a-boo due to wood movement.

paul cottingham
04-22-2012, 6:11 PM
That is very nice work! Inspiring to me.

JohnT Fitzgerald
04-22-2012, 6:20 PM
Very nice! I can't wait to see it finished.

Jerome Hanby
04-22-2012, 6:26 PM
That's going to look pretty sweet! I think it says something for your project when it's in a style I don't really care for and I still let out a wolf whistle when I see i!

Jeff Hamilton Jr.
04-22-2012, 7:02 PM
Sweet lookin' walnut Glenn! And I really like the style of the build as well - excellent work.

Brent VanFossen
04-22-2012, 9:13 PM
Excellent work. I really like the irregular upper drawers.

gary Zimmel
04-22-2012, 10:19 PM
Sweet piece as usual Glenn..
She's going to be a real looker when the finish goes on..

Jeff Monson
04-23-2012, 10:49 AM
Fantastic Glenn, hurry up and get some finish on it so we can see the final product!

Bill Arnold
04-23-2012, 11:25 AM
Excellent form and execution, Glenn!

Von Bickley
04-23-2012, 4:24 PM
Great looking piece of fine furniture......

Bruce Page
04-23-2012, 4:27 PM
A standout piece Glenn. I'm looking forward to seeing it with the final finish!

Lori Kleinberg
04-23-2012, 11:48 PM
Really nice looking piece, Glenn. I really love the G&G style.

Gordon Eyre
04-24-2012, 11:44 AM
I really like this, nice job.

Cody Colston
04-26-2012, 11:36 AM
That's a beautiful piece, Glenn. I've always admired G&G furniture and you captured the design elements perfectly. Well done, Sir.

Brent Ring
04-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Nice Work! I love your stuff when it appears...

glenn bradley
04-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Thanks to all for the kind words. I plan to have the last detail pieces finished up quickly and hope to start laying on the finish this weekend if the weather holds. If it rains as predicted, I can redirect some effort to some other folks pieces and stay on schedule with those. Once again, my own stuff takes a back seat :).

glenn bradley
04-29-2012, 11:58 AM
Here's a pic with the base details on. These "straps" help to visually ground the piece and create a separation so the piece doesn't look like it is growing right out of the floor :). I'll mix the finish today and hope to start that process.

glenn bradley
05-04-2012, 1:11 PM
The first coat goes deep and provides a generally dull appearance while popping the figure. The second coat pretty much sets the coloration while the third starts to build the film. Here's the third coat:

Two or three to go, then a few weeks to fully cure.

jason thigpen
05-04-2012, 4:45 PM
wow! all i can say is wow. that is gonna be a nice set of drawers when you're done. any plans for a full matching bedroom set???

Bill Wyko
05-04-2012, 5:07 PM
Green & green have always been one of my favorite styles. You've done a superb job with your project. Very well done.

Michael Weber
05-04-2012, 7:01 PM
I find a lot of G&G stuff way too busy looking but that's just about perfect.

Alan Lightstone
05-07-2012, 1:52 PM
Looking awesome, Glenn. What are you using for the finish?

Also, please pull out a drawer sometime and take a picture of the joinery on the drawers.

glenn bradley
05-07-2012, 8:15 PM
Looking awesome, Glenn. What are you using for the finish?

Also, please pull out a drawer sometime and take a picture of the joinery on the drawers.

1:1:1 - BLO, mineral spirits and phenolic modified resin varnish (Cabot's gloss).

Here's some drawer shots during construction.

Jerrimy Snook
05-10-2012, 5:52 PM
So this is where a man who's shop is this organized and clean... keeps his socks and shorts... :rolleyes:

Absolutely stunning. I can not imagine the joy, relief, satisfaction etc. that you must feel nearing the end of this nearly 8 month (?) project. Thanks for sharing!

Jerrimy

John Keeton
05-12-2012, 8:01 AM
Glenn, I don't get over to the Projects forum much anymore since defecting to the round side, but this piece is very, very nice. I love G&G, and someday hope to do a little more flatwork - a G&G piece will be on the list!

glenn bradley
05-12-2012, 2:55 PM
Its tough to wait for the finish to cure. I snuck the backslats on.

Bobby O'Neal
05-15-2012, 9:45 PM
Beautiful piece, Glenn.

glenn bradley
06-14-2012, 10:52 PM
For the life of me I cannot take a decent photograph. Hope you get the general idea :o. In my defense I was straddling the end of the bed and working around other furniture in the bedroom :D

The color is not quite so dark but, the flash combined with the chatoyancy of the wood is a greater challenge than my pic skills can overcome.

Mike Henderson
06-14-2012, 11:46 PM
I'd say you did a great job - congratulations!

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
06-15-2012, 12:21 AM
Very, very nice Glenn. I am impressed!

Carl Babel
06-15-2012, 1:17 PM
That looks great! I especially like the top / second drawer design.

Marty Gulseth
06-15-2012, 3:25 PM
Wow. Just wow. I am not worthy to stand in your shadow.

Howard Boehm
06-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Are the top drawers functional and can you post some photos of the top drawers and their construction. Very nice design

glenn bradley
06-16-2012, 11:41 AM
Are the top drawers functional and can you post some photos of the top drawers and their construction. Very nice design

The top drawers are shallow and reserved for the things that usually get tossed on top of my old dresser. Here's some shots from earlier in construction:

234608 . 234609 . 234610 . 234611

I got a little better overall shot but, the flash still makes the drawer colors appear more different than they look to the non-flash-enable human eyeball :) There is a marked shift in the look as you move past it. Freeze-framing this as a novice doesn't yield a real good pic but, you get the general idea ;). In this shot you can see a semi-hidden detail; the pulls are taken in order, top to bottom, from a single board.

Tony Shea
06-17-2012, 5:28 PM
That came out awesome glenn! I love the shape of the drawers and drawer divider at the top. You executed this detail to perfection. And I'm always a fan of proud through joinery, adds a great detail. Which is why I love G&G furniture design.

Dennis Hawkins
04-14-2014, 8:21 PM
Beautiful chest of drawers !

Any idea how many hours you have into your project Glen ?

I love walnut and anything Greene & Greene.

I'm working on a similar personal project in butternut. Not as much detail but it is my best effort.

glenn bradley
04-14-2014, 9:07 PM
Any idea how many hours you have into your project

First of all, that is a lovely piece. As to number of hours? Hmmm, hard to say since I was making this one for myself and so, it got pushed to the side for any other work going on. Several months of weekends anyway but, I do get obsessive on the details :o.

Joe A Faulkner
04-14-2014, 9:36 PM
Very nice. Thanks for the final round of pictures. Love the attention you gave to the back side. I wouldn't want to put it against a wall. Thanks for the pictures on the drawer details. From the first picture, I was wondering how you fabricated the divider. Looks like regular 4/4 stock, true?

Yonak Hawkins
04-14-2014, 9:47 PM
glenn, I didn't get to see this when you first posted it. It's a wonderful piece. I especially like the top drawer divider and drawers and the interlocking elements. Also, the side stiles are so charmingly bold. Have you noticed the width of the stiles causing any separation of the top or bottom trim from movement or are the interlocks secured ? Clearly, it's a solid, well-made piece of furniture with style galore.

glenn bradley
04-14-2014, 10:02 PM
glenn, I didn't get to see this when you first posted it. It's a wonderful piece. I especially like the top drawer divider and drawers and the interlocking elements. Also, the side stiles are so charmingly bold. Have you noticed the width of the stiles causing any separation of the top or bottom trim from movement or are the interlocks secured ? Clearly, it's a solid, well-made piece of furniture with style galore.

Thanks Yonak. I used the same approach you would for a solid panel glue up for the sides. With the wide 'cloud lift' parts and the bridged piece that connects them at the top and the bottom, it is essentially a large panel. It is glued at the front and screwed from inside at the middle (short slot for movement) and the rear (longer slots for movement). This is similar to allowing for movement with a solid side and web frames. At the front corners the trim (if you mean the wide finger-joined pieces) is again glued at the front couple inches and is what the fasteners screw into through the stiles from inside.

This construction (and other methods like it) keep things aligned at the front while the panels are allowed to move. There is a bit of easement at the rear to accept the expansion and the front trim, drawer to frame relationships and so forth stay looking consistent throughout the year.

Yonak Hawkins
04-14-2014, 11:16 PM
Excellent .. well thought-out. That chest is a treasure.

Brian Williamson
04-15-2014, 2:21 AM
Spectacular! I love the G&G aesthetic and you nailed it.

Pat Barry
04-15-2014, 1:30 PM
Spectacular! I love the G&G aesthetic and you nailed it.

I echo the thoughts expressed by many here Glenn, that is outstanding work. What is your procedure for creating the handle detail? It looks great - its very well proportioned.