PDA

View Full Version : Any way to date these planes?

Cyrus Brewster 7
04-22-2012, 5:12 PM
I just picked these up at a flea market for $75: #4 Stanley, #4 1/2 Stanley, #5 Record and #5 1/2 Stanley - all made in England. I think the price was fair but not great (for me). Also, the Record seems very close in design to the Stanleys with only a couple of differences.

I am new to the hand tool area of woodworking and was wondering how I might go about dating these.

John Coloccia
04-22-2012, 5:25 PM
Now that they all know each other, I wouldn't recommend dating them.

:p

Cyrus Brewster 7
04-22-2012, 5:37 PM
Why not? they all seem to be similar in character so I would not have to change the way I act.

Sam Takeuchi
04-22-2012, 5:42 PM
Stanley might be more difficult to pin point when they were made since there is no established production time line for English made models. I don't know when Stanley started making planes in England, but if my memory is correct, production was moved to England in the late 60's. Not sure if any was made in England prior to that point.

As for Record, check here (http://www.recordhandplanes.com/dating.html). There are quite a few points to check, but since I can see rounded top edge of cap iron and blade, plus raised toe and heel edge from the Record, 2nd from the top, that's probably later than early/mid 60's, too. It gets harder to pin down production date afterward as not much changes are introduced until quite later, when plastic handles are introduced.

James Taglienti
04-22-2012, 9:42 PM
Now that they all know each other, I wouldn't recommend dating them.

:p
Awesome :D

Kenneth Speed
04-24-2012, 9:23 AM
I think dating planes is illegal on some states. Seriously, I think you hit a bonanza! Nice clean planes for an incredibly cheap price! I'd guess at least some of the planes would have patent nos. on the casting which should get you started but I don't think I'd worry about it very much, they all appear to be relatively recent user planes in good shape. For the price, I don't see how you can ask for much more.

Jim Koepke
04-24-2012, 12:28 PM
I don't know about dating them, but I would be happy to have another #4-1/2 & #5-1/2.

If you don't like them, let me know.

I have a lot of tools to trade.

jtk