PDA

View Full Version : laser recommendation

al ladd
04-22-2012, 4:35 PM
I"m considering purchasing a laser to cut veneer for marquetry, and some light engraving on the same. I'm a full time box maker, and have done a lot of work these last few years with my shopbuilt cnc router. I do a fair amount of inlay work with the router, but it seems like a laser would allow much faster work (doing marquetry layers rather than inlay) and easy use of commercial veneers, while the router inlay is based on solid wood and thick veneers I cut myself. I work a lot with gabon ebony, which I've heard presents challenges for laser work different from other woods (this may be old, out of date news). I see these very inexpensive lasers on ebay ($480!) and it almost seems too cheap not to try, though also too cheap to be true. On the other hand, I can imagine a laser doen't have to withstand large cutting loads (any cutting load?) and that allows for a lighweight machine to possibly work. Any guidance from you guys who work with these things? I'd probably only use the laser minutes a week. I don't want to get caught up in the race to the bottom that seems to be happening amongst American crafstpeople since the recession hit, but automated cutting from vector files without having to figure out thorny hold down issues or worry about bits breaking or tearout is enticing. More on me and my stuff on my web site . Thanks!

David Fairfield
04-22-2012, 5:57 PM
Hi Al

Since you already have a creative business, and use CNC, I think you are in a really good position to invest some money in a laser. I also think that your estimate of using it a few minutes a week will change, once you have the hang of it. A laser is an awesome tool. So don't sell youself short on a cheapie. Look at getting a good quality one, with more capacity than you think you'll need. I went that route and I'm glad I did.

HTH
Dave

Ernie Balch
04-22-2012, 7:35 PM
Al, I cut 1/8" wood with my laser and can certainly agree that dark dense wood is more difficult to cut. I was hoping to cut stabilized wood knife handles but found that it did not work for 3/8" material. That said my system has nearly a 3' x 4' working area and reasonable power for cutting thin wood, If you want to visit my shop and see if a laser will do what you need, consider yourself invited.

ernie