PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen commission

Don Kondra
04-22-2012, 12:03 PM
To shoot that is :D

The budget didn't allow for setting up any lighting but I did have a nicely overcast day.

Just out of frame on the right is a glass door and then twelve feet of louvered windows.

In hindsight I'm questioning my decision to leave the funky purple lights on in the top of the cabinets or at least turn them off and take one more shot, sigh...

Shot with the E-30/7-14 @ 7mm.

Processed first with DxO Optics Pro 7 and then Elements 9. More software to buy, dang...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/Frontviewweb.jpg

Very impressed with DxO. The back right corner bugs me a bit but hay, this was the first image I processed after downloading the trial version.

A close up of the fused glass back splash, Very nice piece of craftsmanship.

I would Love to mess up this kitchen with some Cooking, he, he...

Shot with the 14-54 @ 22mm...

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg202/donkondra/Backsplashweb.jpg

FYI this is one of the most unique houses I've ever seen. The outside is all black stucco/window frames and the interior walls including the floors are gray.

Cheers, Don

Jim Matthews
04-22-2012, 4:34 PM
Does someone live in this house, or was it built as a movie set?

This decor screams, "No kids!" "Dog agility!" "Prius in the driveway, HUMMER on the highway!"
Ten bucks says they'll never do more than brew coffee in this surgical suite...

Don Kondra
04-22-2012, 6:36 PM
Uh, they have a one year old son, another on the way and two massive English Bulldogs :)

Amazing what a little "clean up" can do, eh ?

Cheers, Don

John Michaels
04-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Do you have any pics of the black stucco outside?

Don Kondra
04-23-2012, 12:44 PM
I was all packed up before I thought about it.

Basically the house site is a 3 acre bare patch of prairie with the normal signs of new construction so I didn't bother...

Cheers, Don

Hans Braul
04-24-2012, 8:57 PM
Beautifully done Don! I'd love to read more about the kitchen. Commercial or custom? The overall effect is spectacular.

Hans

Don Kondra
04-25-2012, 1:19 PM
Thanks Hans !

I can just see the purists shaking their heads, he, he..

I was quite impressed when I first walked in the door. The color doesn't bother me, at least the grain of the wood is visible.

The majority of my clients are women and sometimes this can lead to some interesting work.

The kitchen was built by a one and a half man shop. Nathan has a man come in for afternoons to help out.

Just to make things interesting the site is about 90 miles from his shop.

Pretty basic modular construction with melamine interiors. The doors/panels are veneered with the veneer wrapping around all the edges.

You will have noticed there are no handles, you give the door/drawer a little push and it pops open.

I really liked the top cabinet hardware. Hit a small switch on the bottom of the cabinet and the doors lift up and folds out of the way. Hit the switch again to close.

The finish is a stain with a water base top coat.

Cheers, Don

frank shic
04-25-2012, 6:14 PM
great modern cabinet job. do you always run the finished end panel to the floor? some people like to notch them out so that debris doesn't get trapped in the corner.

Don Kondra
04-25-2012, 8:14 PM
Thanks Frank,

I am a furniture maker but also a product photographer, I was only hired to photograph this job :)

Personally I run the toe kick all the way around an island..

Cheers, Don

frank shic
04-25-2012, 10:18 PM
that'd make sense especially if there are little kids running... those corners are just magnets for their little feet!