PDA

View Full Version : About to buy my first carbide bandsaw blade - Am I doing this right?

Glen Blanchard
04-22-2012, 7:38 AM
I have never had a carbide bandsaw blade, but want one for my new acquisition (MM16). After some due diligence on Sawmill Creek, I plan on getting a Resaw King (I am aware it is not truly carbide). Here are my requirements:

yields very good resawing and ripping cuts with minimal blade marks (although I don't expect it to be glue-ready)
possibility for resharpening
must work on 16" wheels
long life between resharpenings

From the reading I have done, it seems as if the RK is my guy. However, before I pull the trigger, i want to confirm that this is the blade I should get.

Thanks in advance.

Ben Abate
04-22-2012, 8:10 AM
Glen,
You probably read the posts a few weeks ago about us talking about the difficulty trying to find someone to resharpen a Lenox Tri Master correct? I have a few Tri Masters but now finding that they are a bit more difficult to get resharpened and not many places will resharpen them I'll most likely buy a RK when the time comes that my Tri masters are no longer useful. Also if my memory serves me correctly the price of resharpening the RK is much less. My blades are 183 inches and I was quoted I believe around $105.00 to resharpen it plus shipping. What I have found is; cleaning your bandsaw blades can make a huge difference.

hope this helps
Ben

David Kumm
04-22-2012, 9:40 AM
The MM 16 is one of the few saws that will tension the Trimaster. My experience is with them but I defer to Van when he recommends the RK. 16" wheels are on the small side for the thicker Lenox band even though they have changed their steel to accomodate that. The Lenox CT 1.3 is a lower cost alternative and I would consider that for a backup blade or when fewer teeth are the answer. With the Lenox blades you don't want to go wider than 1". Dave

Van Huskey
04-22-2012, 12:39 PM
The RK has two distinct advantages even if you don't consider finish quality (which I also think is an advantage) first it is cheap to resharpen ($45 and it is resharpened on the machines that profile and sharpen the blade to begin with) and it has a thin gauge (.025) in all its widths. The thin gauge allows it to be tensioned properly with less absolute pressure AND it allows it to be run on smaller wheels without fatigue (technically lower fatigue). For a 16" wheeled saw I think the RK is a no brainer even without its other davantages.

Ben is correct about keeping the blade clean, just like any tooling gunk = heat and heat is the enemy of all tooling.

Even with the thin backer the a 1.25" RK is going to be pushing the limit of the MM16, I would get a 1" BUT if ones machismo requires the wider blade the MM16 can get it really close if not dead on with tension but just! My choice would be a 1", I run a 1" RK and Trimaster on my MM20 but then I am a advocate of high (but proper) tension.

Glen Blanchard
04-22-2012, 1:56 PM
Even with the thin backer the a 1.25" RK is going to be pushing the limit of the MM16

Van - "Pushing the limit" due to wheel diameter or tensioning limits? Are you inferring that another carbide blade might be a more appropriate choice for the MM16?

David Kumm
04-22-2012, 2:13 PM
Higher tension is much more important than blade width once you get over 3/4". Always pick the blade you can tension properly rather than the widest you can fit. 25000-30000psi will keep the blade straight and from wandering as well as keep it from spinning the back bearing very much. Relying on the bearing leads to heat which leads to failure. Dave

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Van - "Pushing the limit" due to wheel diameter or tensioning limits? Are you inferring that another carbide blade might be a more appropriate choice for the MM16?

I was referring to pushing the limit on tensioning the gauge is the same for all RK widths (not true with many carbide blades like Lenox). I am not saying the MM16 can NOT tension a 1.25" RK properly (in my experience they like 28-29,000 psi) BUT a 1.25" .025" blade on my MM20 will only get to 28,000 so it may not on the MM16 and I would hate to make a $200+ mistake. The benefit of proper tension far outweighs the benefir of an extra .25" in width!

Glen Blanchard
04-24-2012, 8:46 AM
I had the electrical work (upgrade 20 amp circuit to 30 amp) done yesterday, so it is now ALIVE!! Ordered a 1" RK yesterday as well.

Thanks guys!

Van Huskey
04-24-2012, 12:26 PM
Sweet, have fun!

jim gossage
04-25-2012, 12:11 AM
I have a 1" resaw king on my MM16 and it makes awesome cuts with an almost glue ready finish when adjusted properly.

jerry cousins
04-25-2012, 10:42 AM
i have the same setup that jim described - wonderful cuts - but did spend several years with trimaster before coming over. you'll like it
jerry