PDA

View Full Version : Cooling head in Trend

Jon Prouty
04-22-2012, 2:20 AM
With today's AZ heat hitting 100+ degrees I got to thinking about possible cooling techniques while in the garage. Has anyone ever tried strapping a cooling pack near the input vents on an Airshield Pro? I know it will mess with the balance, but if I could get cooler air flowing across my face it would be worth it. I don't have an Airshield yet to try it but this may tip the balance for me. Thoughts?

BTW... AC in my garage isn't an option yet as I am in a rental for another two summers.

Thanks,
JP

Hayes Rutherford
04-22-2012, 9:52 AM
Jon, why not give it a try. Even the air alone without cooling should be beneficial. My shop is usually so cold in the winter that the opposite situation occurs, the cold moving air gives me a headache.

Alan Zenreich
04-22-2012, 10:11 AM
I would suggest you try the Black Ice CCX-S Coolers
They are phase change coolers that work great and are reasonably priced.
I have several of these and use them while motorcyling in the summer.
http://www.blackicecooling.com/

Brian Kent
04-22-2012, 10:12 AM
I have been watching the portable AC units. The BTU's have been going up and the prices going down a little. They need a 6" vent hole. If your garage has a vent to outside this might work.

Rex Guinn
04-23-2012, 7:59 AM
If you have a window, yes a window air conditioner, mine works great.

Jim Burr
04-23-2012, 9:41 AM
We have the same temps here Jon...never fun! With the air blowing down over my face, I stay pretty cool...I also take more breaks. You may ywant to think about one of those little window A/C units...$100 at a BORG this time of year. I set mine on the floor

Jim Underwood
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Personally, I wouldn't add any more weight to the Trend Airshield Pro. If you're thinking of buying any powered respirator, my advice is to try one on (or better yet, try one out for a couple hours). You'll know right quick whether it will be a good fit.

Alan Zenreich
04-23-2012, 11:49 AM
As far as adding weight goes... the reaction I get when I place a Black Ice cooler around someone's neck is "aaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh". No one ever mentions the minor weight addition. Also, the neoprene neck band is soft and comfortable... and the phase change packs are at 52 or 57 degrees, so it's not "freezing" your neck.

I put in a small airconditioner in my basement lathe room, and aside from emptying the condensate bucket, it's a good thing to add... it removes lots of humidity from the air, but it takes a long time to make a dent in a hot room. When I want immediate cooling, the Black Ice is the first thing I reach for.