PDA

View Full Version : Mirrored Acrylic and self-made mirrored acrylic.

Pete Bejmuk
04-22-2012, 2:02 AM
I was wondering, with some spray mirror compound available (ie krylon mirror spray paint (http://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K09033000-Looking-Mirror-Like-Aerosol/dp/B003971BAY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335068513&sr=8-1)etc) is making your own mirrored acrylic a feasible idea? For reverse-engraving the sprayed face of acrylic for a mirror engraving.

I'm concerned about reflection on the mirrored face, since all the mirrored acrylic i've worked with has the mirrored face be dulled on the mirrored side of the plexi. Painting a second coat over the mirrored side (latex etc) would work but I'm doing a project that requres a lot of detai.

Dumb idea?

Dan Hintz
04-22-2012, 8:58 AM
<chuckle> Expecting a rattle can paint to actually match the lid (particularly with metallics) is wishful thinking ;) You can actually see a clear reflection in mirrored acrylic... with stuff you spray yourself, you'll see a blob somewhat human-shaped.

Lee DeRaud
04-22-2012, 4:22 PM
<chuckle> Expecting a rattle can paint to actually match the lid (particularly with metallics) is wishful thinking ;) You can actually see a clear reflection in mirrored acrylic... with stuff you spray yourself, you'll see a blob somewhat human-shaped.Most of the time I'd agree with you, but it might be worth a try...it's not like it costs that much.

Note that in this application, unlike painting an open surface, the "top" (reflective) surface of the paint will be dead smooth, since it's actually the back surface of the acrylic. The paint in question is in fact designed for spraying on the reverse side of glass.

Dan Hintz
04-22-2012, 7:03 PM
You may have a point with that, Lee... I'm used to seeing that stuff on the first surface, not behind. It may look better in that regard.

That said, I hope people area aware that the shiny (and reflective) tops are not spray painted with what's in the jar, but paint "chromed"... and that has an effect on the final product.