PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Drill recommendation?

RJ Schuff
04-28-2003, 4:31 PM
It is time for me to get a new cordless drill. I have had a Dewalt for 4 years and have not had any problems with it, but was interested in your opinions. What drill do you like and why?

RJ

Robert Henderson
04-28-2003, 5:09 PM
If I were buying....

G8600 Grizzly 18V, 1/2" Cordless Drill Kit

Features:
18 volt power
Johnson® 700 motor
1/2" keyless Jacobs® chuck
Variable speed, reversible
Panasonic® NiCd battery
15 clutch settings plus drill setting
0-900 RPM
Includes 1 hour quick charger, battery, 13-pc. drill bit and screwdriver

Malcolm Timbers
04-28-2003, 5:14 PM
I have several 12v DeWalts which are okay. However, I bought one of those nifty Ryobi cordless saws that I found tremendously useful for doing trimming of twigs for rustic work. In the kit was a 14v flashlight and a 14v drill and I found that the drill was as every bit as good as the DeWalt so far. The whole kit was less than $100. I don't do heavy duty work with the cordless drills, but they get used very often.

Phil Phelps
04-28-2003, 5:22 PM
...If you 've been happy with the feel and performance of the DeWalt, why change? I use the 18v, have three, and really give them a work out. Excellent tool.

Steve Clardy
04-28-2003, 6:04 PM
I'm not a yellow fan till it comes to their miter saws. They are ok. I am a gray fan, [PC] on drills and routers. As above, if you are happy with your old one, stay with them. Steve:D :D :D

Jason Roehl
04-28-2003, 6:36 PM
I'll second the grey and black. I had used a Craftsman 13.2 for about 4 years before it started to show major signs of deterioration (trigger didn't always work and batteries #2 & #3 were on their way downhill). So I went with the PC 14.4. I've had it about 1.5 years or so, and love it. So much torque and runtime. There's even enough torque to run 3" screws into PT lumber in the HIGH range, which seems to help save on batteries (IMO, not scientifically tested). Plus, I think it looks cool. If I had it to do over, I would spend the extra $20 and get the 1/2" chuck instead of the 3/8". It's got some heft to it, but not near as much as their 19.2V or others' 18V drills.

My 2¢.

Bud Duffy
04-28-2003, 6:52 PM
I have had Crafstman 12v for about ten years and it has always been weak , nothing against crafstman i own a few of them . Recently i found a Porter Cable 14.4v with 1/2in chuck on the clearance rack at Fred Meyers for $65 with a charger and two batts and it has so much tourque i cant believe the diffrence. The batterys last a loooong time before needing recharged, i just could not imagine what a 18v would be like. the feel of this drill is alot better too. Good luck with your hunt .

Bob Reilly
04-28-2003, 8:14 PM
Popular woodworking just did a drill test,and Panasonic came out on top, Porter Cable was next, Dewalt was way down the list.

john lawson
04-28-2003, 9:53 PM
I have a Porter Cable 14.4 volt, and I am very satisfied with it. If I were buying a new one I would look at the Hitachi that Lowes is running on special now. It's a 14.4 volt, two batteries, and a flashlight, $89.00. I would also be curious to hear from any Hitachi owners. john

Von Bickley
04-28-2003, 10:07 PM
I agree with Steve. I'm not real excited about yellow. My first cordless drill was a Dewalt but I'm presently using a PC. I really like the PC.

Dale Thompson
04-28-2003, 10:12 PM
RJ,
I'm very happy with my Bosch 14.4. The reversing switch, however, is not quite in the right place. I sometimes reverse the drill or put it in "neutral" just by twisting my hand the wrong way. It's very fast at recharging batteries--that's a BIG plus.

If I was replacing the Bosch, I would take a serious look at the DeWalt. Aside from some awkward moments with their jigsaw, I have a lot of DeWalt stuff (portable table saw, my PM 66 is not allowed to leave the shop, 12" SCMS, hammer drill, biscuit joiner, tool bag and belt, jig saw, radio, etc.) and am well pleased. Besides, it would allow me to use that great "Contractor's Radio" that my son got me last year and I haven't used because I have no DeWalt batteries to charge.

With today's technology, it's kind of hard to go wrong with anything you choose from the major manufacturers. As battery technology continues to explode(no pun intended), however, standardizing on one or two manufacturers may offer some economies.

Dale T.:)

Kevin Post
04-29-2003, 12:17 AM
I have the DeWalt 18v which has served me very well for about 2 years. I'm satisfied with the power and torque. I've talked to other people who complain that they don't get much use on a charge but I've had no problems. It's also heavy compared to other 18v drills.

There was a comparison of 18v cordless drills in the March 2003 issue of Fine Homebuilding (Issue 153). The author of the article picked the Panasonic EY6432 (a 15.6 volt model). It was the smallest of the tools compared but in tests it drove 110 more screws than the closest 18v model.

I haven't seen or used the Panasonic but I've read positive remarks from people who own or use it. It might be worth a look...

-Kevin

David Rose
04-29-2003, 12:44 AM
I can't say it is better than any others as I have not owned another cordless. The sheet metal (heat and air and such) guys around here use them and think they are more durable. That is why I bought mine. All I know is the 18V is heavy, the batteries hold up well, and the balance is good. I've had it about 2 years and use it all the time.

David

Perry Schmidt
04-29-2003, 2:59 AM
Yellow has always served me well. I perfer the 14.4 - I can screw a lot of screws w/ that before needing a new battery and it's a lot lighter than the 18V. But if you screw a lot of long (2"+) screws then 18V would be a better choice. But I've found very little that the 14.4 couldn't handle. It's too bad b/c they're harder and harder to find, w/ the 18V being the 'drill of choice' it appears.

Also read a very interesting review recently - unfortunately I can't remember where. One of the major WW mags. They compared specifically 18V drills, and Milwaukee brand scored better than the rest. More battery life, well built and a very comfortable grip - so much so that they really talked it up. After drilling in couple hundred screws their hand wasn't as tired w/ the Mil. brand b/c of the well designed grip. I haven't looked at them yet (b/c my Yellow Monster is working just fine...still) but if I ever need to replace it someday I plan on taking a close look at theirs. I seem to remember they also saying Milwaukee's drill was a recent redesign. Can't remember if the rest were or not.

And I know PC owners are very happy w/ their drills, but I have a friend who has one - 19.2V I think. I didn't like it at all. It was very heavy, very large, and my 14.4V battery lasted longer than his when we were sheetrocking his garage. Plus I was putting in more screws - the drill was lighter, I didn't get tired as fast :) I have to occationally remind him of that b/c he got a VERY nice Sawzall I covet. Mine is just the simple basic model. His is the 'whizz-bang' model....darn tool budget...

Anyway - I vote for DeWalt 14.4 or 18V, but give some serious consideration to the new Milwaukee. Prices were all about the same for the 18V models when comparing apples to apples.

Hope this helps.

PErry

Glenn Clabo
04-29-2003, 5:23 AM
Red makes me happy...I've tried real hard to wear this thing out but it keeps on going.
400 in./lbs. Torque with 20 Position adjustment.
Variable Speed in two ranges: 0-450/0-1500 rpm. Electronic Brake.
1/2 in. chuck with hardened jaws for high gripping torque.
Soft-grip T-handle design provides optimum balance and comfort.
Model 0522-20

Jerry Todd
04-29-2003, 6:25 AM
Yellow 18v has never let me down.

Jerry in the Sunshine State.:cool:

Steve Rayboy
04-29-2003, 6:31 AM
I've been using a Porter Cable for years, and it was great...till the batteries wouldn't take a charge anymore. I went to get a new one, and they were so expensive that I bought a 18 volt ryobi for a little more then the price of 1 PC battery. I'm a professional woodworker, and I give that ryobi a workout. it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. it also features a magnet for bits and screws. It was cheap enough that when the batteries eventually die, i'll just buy another Ryobi.

Charles McKinley
04-29-2003, 11:32 AM
I like DW because the charger can be used fo different voltage of batteries. If your old drill is still good this could be an issue. It also depends on the age of your drill. They have made a small change. My 18v battery doesn't fit my old charger but my 9.6v still works in the new charger.

Look at the other cordless tools available also that can work as a system. I do handyman work and hate draging cords out in peoples home if I don't have to. I love my DW 18v jig saw.

The competition is so tight in this market you can't go wrong. All the big brand are good. Also go and pick up the different brands and see how they fit you hand and balance.

When all else fails increase hammer size!:cool:

RJ Schuff
04-29-2003, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Glenn Clabo
Red makes me happy...I've tried real hard to wear this thing out but it keeps on going.
400 in./lbs. Torque with 20 Position adjustment.
Variable Speed in two ranges: 0-450/0-1500 rpm. Electronic Brake.
1/2 in. chuck with hardened jaws for high gripping torque.
Soft-grip T-handle design provides optimum balance and comfort.
Model 0522-20

I think I will go RED this time. Thanks to all for your suggestions. I really think any of the top brands would have worked out well. I bought one of those nice Milwaukee routers last year that fits so nicely in my hand, I think I will see if this T-grip works out.

Thanks again

RJ

Sean Murphy
04-29-2003, 11:54 AM
This may seem odd but I would recommend the Black and Decker Firestorm 18v. I know B&D does not have the prestige of the yellows and reds aforementioned but… I have one and it kicks. It has tons of power, a removable chuck and the batteries last for ever. Looking at the Dewalt and this one side by side it is hard to find differences outside the cosmetics. The real kicker in my mind is it can be gotten (with two batteries) for $89 on sale. You could buy three of these for the price of one of the yellows.

Just my 2 cents worth but has much more bang for the buck than any of the others. Does yellow dill $200 better than my B&D? Nope, I guarantee it.

Sean

Christian Aufreiter
04-29-2003, 11:57 AM
Hi RJ,

I have a Festool 12 V CDD which I absolutely love. Perfect design and ergonomics, light, lots of power and torque, good 2 Ah batteries, systainer, built like a tank, 3 year warranty,...
Anything to add?
- YES. I forgot the best. Festool has a right angle and an eccentric attachment for the drill (can be used for the Festool TDD, too). You are able to reach any space with these attchachments . Perfect for assembly work.

You might like to check out this tool at www.festool-usa.com

Hope this helps,

Christian
http://www.heinz-maschinen.de/Media/festool_fastfix.JPG

Paul Kunkel
04-29-2003, 3:12 PM
after wearing out 3 PC's, I switched to the top Panasonic with the 3.5 AH batteries. It is awsome!. It seems much better made than the PC and panasonic is one of the major Mfg.'s of all rechargeable batteries.

Mark Lansink
04-29-2003, 3:19 PM
Originally posted by Paul Kunkel
after wearing out 3 PC's, I switched to the top Panasonic with the 3.5 AH batteries. It is awsome!. It seems much better made than the PC and panasonic is one of the major Mfg.'s of all rechargeable batteries.

I switched from DeWalt to Panasonic's 15.6V 3.5Ah NiMH batteries and have NOT looked back. Panasonic has THE best low speed control (full torque at a controllable crawl speed) which allows very good control and fewer broken screw or overset screws. I had a very large tool dealer in my area that has a manufacaturer's show every year. I tried every major brand, talked to their reps and the Panasonic was the clear winner. The store also indicated they get fewer Panasonic warranty claims than any other brand.

This was a couple of years ago, so I haven't kept up on any new offerings from other mfr's. YMMV.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
04-29-2003, 3:31 PM
Hi,

I must be the last one on earth with out a cordless drill, my drill is 23 years old, I picked it up in the seconds bin at Canadian Tire for $10. I have often looked at the cordless drills but it has never happened......batteries, torque, volts......maybe one day.

take care,
Jim

One day we'll even get colour TV here, maybe...

Scott Coffelt
04-29-2003, 4:15 PM
I have had a Makita, 2 PC's and 2 Dewalt's. I started with a Makita and the thing had the worst batteries. Since tossed it many years ago. I bought a Dewalt, it was stolen with a bunch of other tools. Thought hey lets try the PC, have gone through 2 of them. The current one with new batteries does not have the power or perfomance of the Dewalt I lost. Got a great deal on the XRP Dewalt and the PC usually sits on the shelf, unless I need an extra drill.

I have thought about the trying the Grizzly, but haven't had the bucks burning a hole in my pocket.

So again, my vote is for the yellow one.

Jim Izat
04-29-2003, 4:46 PM
Originally posted by Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
Hi,

I must be the last one on earth with out a cordless drill, my drill is 23 years old, I picked it up in the seconds bin at Canadian Tire for $10. I have often looked at the cordless drills but it has never happened......batteries, torque, volts......maybe one day.

take care,
Jim

One day we'll even get colour TV here, maybe...

Jim,

I'm right with you. I've had a sears 3/8's corded for at least 23 years (19.95 as I recall) and I just replaced it yesterday with the PC 14.4 1/2" hammer/drill/driver. The difference is pretty major. My first cordless tool. Wow is all I can say. The first three ww tools I ever bought, a drill, a circular saw, and a belt sander (Sears, B&D, and Sears respectively) all bought the same year all died and had to be replaced in the last twelve months. They don't make 'em like they used to I guess.

Jim

Dar Lounsbury
04-29-2003, 7:02 PM
Our shop has started to use the Bosch 14.4 'Brute' series drills. Lots of power, light weight, 1/2" chuck and seem to be tough. We have 10 of them and the guys with another brand are always trying to borrow them. 18 volt drills seem too heavy to use for everything.

Whatever brand, pick it up and play with it. A poor drill, if it feels good, will be better than the best drill if it does not 'fit your hand'.

John Longwitz
04-29-2003, 8:40 PM
...got the Bosch 3850 18V about a year ago on Amazon/Tool Crib closeout sale. It has the NiMH batteries and about 435 in/lb torque...weighs not much more than the DeWalt 9.6V it replaced...runs several weekends of this and that on a charge..1/2" Jacob chuck...and made in Switzerland...I checked out the new Bosch line and am not impressed...they went back to NiCads and seem lots heavier...when/if the 3850 craps out I'll check out Panasonic...meantime I'll keep burying 3" screws in SYP like it was styrofoam

Stan Smith
04-30-2003, 10:58 AM
I vote for panasonic 15.6 even though they currently have a recall on batteries on some models. It seems that the batteries were falling out of the handle. I have never had that problem, but, hey I'll send mine back for new replacements. Yesiree, Bob. They hold a charge very well compared to others I have had including Makita and B&D and skil.

Tom Gattiker
04-30-2003, 3:47 PM
If you are strictly woodworking and doing stuff around the house, not building a bunch of decks or something, then go inexpenisve (and put the savings toward another tool). I have the B&D firestorm 14.4 volt which serves me well.

Steven Wilson
04-30-2003, 4:00 PM
I was fortunate to be one of American Woodworker's testers when they had the cordless drill shoot out. Anyhow, we had the opportunity to test a vast number of cordless drills. I tried drills from Panasonic, Metabo, Fein, Festool, Grizzly, Black & Decker, Milwaulkee, Dewalt and a few others. I use a 14.4v Dewalt and like it, but find it too heavy sometimes. The two I liked the most were from Panasonic and Metabo. The thing I didn't like about the
Panasonic was the ratcheting of the drill chuck, for me it takes a bit too long to go from one size to another (i.e. from 1/16" drill bit to a 3/8", you're ratcheting all the way). The chuck on the Metabo didn't ratchet but moved smoothly from one position to the other. Both chucks were one handed; a great inovation. The impulse feature of the Metabo came in very handy both when starting screws or extracting them. The Metabo fit my hand
extreemly well but was un padded, YMMV. The Metabo also had IMHO better low end torque control; that is you could adjust it low enough so that small brass screws would "clutch out" and not break. As for what voltage, I really like the Panasonic and Metabo 12V drills; both have more usable power than my Dewalt and are much better balanced: more than enough torque in their 12V models that it's hard to see when the extra torque of the 15.6V model would come in handy. On the other hand the lighter weight is a godsend for your wrist. I had no problems driving
4" lag bolts into a 4x4 with the Metabo, easy to go in, easy to go out -time after time - no problems.

So my personal choice would be the 12V Metabo, then the 12V Panasonic. I really disliked the Festool and Fein.

John Husby
04-30-2003, 9:59 PM
When it comes to a drill choice a lot depends on the amount you want to spend. The electrician who does the wiring on our homes use to use the Porter Cable 24 and Bosch 24 volts. To keep working they always had to buy an extra battery and keep the chargers going. Finally got tired of paying the big bucks and went back to using the 1/2" electric units. Uses the B&D 14.4 Firestorms for miisc work. I use the Ryobi 14.4 plus the Firestorm with the pop-off unit so I only need two drills for cabinet installs rather than three. My suggestion is to buy whatever you have had success with and what ever $$$ you want to spend.

John Sanford
05-01-2003, 2:17 PM
I've got a DeWalt 12v, my second one (the first was stolen.) As far as I'm concerned, the most important element is the ergonomics of the drill for YOU. Second, where's the drill from?

Third, durability (both charge duration, battery life, and tool toughness). Fourth, flexibility, both of the tool itself and the "tool system."

For driving fasteners (except drywalling), nothing beats the Makita 12v Impact Driver. I just hate their grips. :(

Professionally, I did RTA assembly work for a while. Because the 18v models are just too big and bulky, I would definitely consider a Panasonic when I have to replace my DeWalt. Physically smaller is better.

It all comes down to what your specific needs are. You pretty much can't go wrong with any of the major manufacturers today as far as quality of the product itself goes. Get what fits.

FYI - The two major rechargeable battery manufacturers are Panasonic and Eveready.

Lynn Kasdorf
05-02-2003, 11:01 AM
From what I've read, Panasonic or Metabo are generally on top.

However...The Makita impact drill that I tried at the wood show was amazing. A 3" screw goes into a 4x4 almost effortlessley. No hint of camout. He'd been doing the demo with the same screw all day, and it was not worn at all. Dozens of holes in the wood where it had been driven in and back out. Very little down pressure needed. But these cost a couple hundred as I recall. I think the Metabo works about the same way.

My brother gave me a Delta drill for my birthday- I'm sure he got it on sale. These were at Lowes a whiel back for $50. I was a bit disappointed to get a cheapie, but to my surprise, it is turning out to be a darned good tool.

And I find it very handy to have several battery drills around- for different locations, or when doing multiple operations it speeds things up.

So- if I see the delta's or even the B&D units on sale for $50 again, I'll certainly pick one up.

But I long for that Makita or Metabo impact driver!

John Snyder
05-03-2003, 12:49 PM
I've had Dewalts, Makita's, etc etc. in the past. Now, I just buy a Black & Decker 7.2 Volt about every other year or so. The tool has the built in battery, so no need for a charger (huge plus in my book). How much more power does anyone need for drilling wood or driving screws ?? For drilling metal, sure a corded or big battery pack drill is necessary, but not for wood IMHO. For $29.99, simply can't beat it, but its not "cool" in this high dollar industrial tool minded ww world we live in ...

JS