PDA

View Full Version : Saw Handle Makers! Disston saw for Stanley Mitre Box

Peter Pedisich
04-21-2012, 11:46 PM
Hi, I recently purchased this Stanley 358 Mitre Box, and I took a profile shot for all the saw handle makers out there.
I wasn't thinking and took the full profile shot from the back side, but I included the front shot (though it is not a straight-on shot) so you could see where the medallion is placed.

I do not know the date of the saw, but it has patent dates of -04, -09, and -12. It appears to have seen moderate use, or was well cared for, and functions smoothly.
The saw is not very sharp, but cuts ok even so.

I use AutoCAD every day for work going on 23 years, and words cannot adequately describe my antipathy towards it, so please excuse my not making a CAD .dwg of it.

Not a bad looking handle, in need of a little wax or Kramers gently applied with some 000. Can't wait to get it set up so I can stop using my DeWalt 10" noisemaker.

Link to Picasaweb photo album of Mitre Box. (https://picasaweb.google.com/102981472942866443292/StanleyNo358MitreBox?authuser=0&feat=directlink)

Jonathan McCullough
04-22-2012, 8:50 AM
I've always thought those were among the nicer saw handles. They're also roomier for a four-finger-and-thumb grip. If you're sharpening your own you'll probably find a more of a peg tooth filing. You may also want to check to see if it needs to be jointed. Most of the use is right ion the middle of the saw, naturally. Even more so than on a regular saw.

Jeff Heath
04-22-2012, 11:38 AM
That is a very nice condition handle. I recently purchased (another....arghhhh) late 1800's Disston back saw just because of the beautiful condition of the handle. This is my favorite era for saw handles, and I plan on making replacements in this style for all my (many....too many) later Disston saws with the not-so-attractive beech handles.

Joint it, sharpen it, and put it to work.

Jeff

lowell holmes
04-22-2012, 12:02 PM
I traced a handle and scanned the tracing. I have been able to send a pdf file to those who ask for it.

If you should choose to do so, I would like a copy.