PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite NE Goblet or Bowl

Kathy Marshall
04-21-2012, 8:50 PM
This was last night's project. Last week Ken Glass posted a "flower" form he turned from brown mallee, then DD responded with a link to his 1st flower/goblet form, that got me thinking that I haven't turned that type of form for a while, and I've never really gotten the flare that I was looking for in the rim. So I got out the chain saw and cut out a blank.

Then I started shaping and then hollowing. I'm pretty happy with the shape, but I could have narrowed it down a little more on the bottom 3rd. It ended up about 5 1/2" x 9 1/2" and has a coat of danish oil.
When I was finishing up the bottom, I left a small tenon to use to attach a pedestal or base of some sort. To take the pic, I drilled a hole in a scrap of wood that I could use so the piece would stand up, unfortunately as I was wiping it down again before taking the pics, I must have used a little too much pressure and the tenon snapped right off (small tenon, face grain orientation = weak wood). So now I'll use the jamb chuck to center the piece and then drill a small hole to accept a tenon.
The question is, should I turn a goblet style pedestal and call it a goblet form, or turn a short base and call it a base mounted bowl?

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques welcome.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2012, 8:59 PM
Looks great Kathy though I think a small foot would have looked good with this form. Perhaps you could turn one out of a matching piece of sapwood.

Marty Eargle
04-21-2012, 9:11 PM
Some amazing looking wood there. It might look good on a medium height, delicate pedestal...but heck, I kind of like it as a piece laying on the side. Won't hold soup that way...but it'll just look like a fine piece of art.

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 9:12 PM
love your form, mesquite is a super wood

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2012, 9:47 PM
Really nice piece Kathy. Love turning mesquite.

Roger Chandler
04-21-2012, 9:57 PM
Kathy,

My opinion is that the form is just a bit large for a gobblet style form, although you did a fine job on the turning........I think you are correct in the mounted bowl idea........the size lends itself more to that, however your base design is critical in getting a pleasing form to compliment what you have already turned........

I would suggest a couple of sketches or so, before you commit to a piece of wood.......that way you can refine the design before you turn. That way you can get it pleasing to the eye beforehand. Good luck with it, and post when you get finished!

John Keeton
04-22-2012, 7:10 AM
Kathy, in looking at the piece, which is very nice by the way!, I think a foot/base that mirrors the slope and angle of the underside of the form, approx. 3" wide at the base, and approx. 1" tall would look nice. I would use heartwood, were it me, unless you can get a piece that would give you sapwood on the very bottom with a little bit of undulation in the sap line - that might look good, too. It is possible, that a sapwood piece with a little bark edge on the rim might be unique looking, but I would have to see that to be sure. Try a couple of different ones!!

Whatever you do - share it with us!

Michelle Rich
04-22-2012, 7:13 AM
heck if I know...but the flair is nice on this & the orientation you chose looks super

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Very nice! I like these 'birds-mouth' forms and think it would be shown off best with just a small foot.