PDA

View Full Version : Hammer A3 31 Price

Kieran Kammerer
04-21-2012, 8:15 PM
What would people consider a reasonable price for a used Hammer A3 31 that was brought in 2010? Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Mike Heidrick
04-21-2012, 8:37 PM
I price my tools at 75% of current new prices usually and go down from there. Your market will bear what is reasonable I guess. Depending on quality and condition and use, start at 75-80% of new and go down from there when it does not sell. Hammer stuff generally gets a nice resale amount. Delivery and loading arrangements can help sell big tools.

Kieran Kammerer
04-21-2012, 8:50 PM
Thanks Mike.

Jim Foster
04-21-2012, 9:08 PM
On the flip side, I'd buy new if I was looking at paying 80% of the new price for a used stationary or power tool. Call me crazy, but I'd have no interest unless I knew the seller and the machine. I feel like there are too many things to learn with a new machine and getting something used only adds to the learning curve.

Kieran Kammerer
04-21-2012, 9:12 PM
Thanks Jim. Looks like current asking price is 2400. New is going for about 2990 + shipping.

Van Huskey
04-21-2012, 9:28 PM
Thanks Jim. Looks like current asking price is 2400. New is going for about 2990 + shipping.

Does that include any extra items (table extensions, digital handwheel etc?) I assume that is a straight knife machine with no extras it is on the high end, with some extras the price becomes more and more resonable.

Kieran Kammerer
04-21-2012, 9:32 PM
Hi Van, I have not spoken with him directly yet, however pictures seem to i indicate no extensions and it does not appear to have the digital hand wheel. Has about 100 hours of use.

Rich Riddle
04-21-2012, 9:43 PM
Kieran,

No matter who originally purchased a tool or how well it's maintained, a used tool is just that - a used tool. Right now the model you're considering is $2999 new. You live close enough to Delaware to pick it up for free brand new. Delaware has no sales tax. Generally, I consider a fair value between 50% and 66% for a used tool, whether buying or selling one.

One hundred hours of use is a lot of use on a jointer/planer. The blades will have been well used and there will be wear on the machine even if negligible. I go to local auctions and see buyers spending more on a used tool than a new one all the time, so if you pay to much you won't be the only one who's done it. There is no way an owner can keep a used tool in more pristine condition than a new one; it's physically impossible. Offer a fair price but if the seller doesn't want fair simply wait or purchase a new Hammer.

Kieran Kammerer
04-21-2012, 10:06 PM
All good points Rich. Thanks.

Mike Heidrick
04-21-2012, 11:42 PM
At $2400 is when you show up with $2000 cash. Best of luck.

Paul McGaha
04-22-2012, 2:13 AM
Just my $.02, But to me there needs to be some savings to justify buying a used tool. Otherwise why not buy a new one.

After the purchase price and moving costs, I would hope to save 30% to 40% off the cost of a new model to justify chosing used over new.

PHM