PDA

View Full Version : southwest forms

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 7:13 PM
these are my southwest forms so far, all but one bradford pear, the other sycamore

James Combs
04-21-2012, 7:23 PM
A very nice collection. SW is one of my favorite forms and I use a lot of pear myself. What is the finish?

Jerry Marcantel
04-21-2012, 7:52 PM
Nice stuff Charlie. I like the ants crawling around the second from left........ Jerry (in Tucson).....

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 8:26 PM
What is the finish?

James i used velvit oil on all of the turnings. i applied a heavy coat of oil, let stand 10 minutes, wet sand with 600 grit, then wipe down.

Jerry i like the Red Ants form also, i plan to enter it in Piedmont Arts Expression Show next month.

thanks for yalls comments and for looking.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2012, 8:27 PM
Nice variety Charlie! How many do you have plans for out of the pear? Or which one are you going to run out of first?:)

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 9:08 PM
How many do you have plans for out of the pear? Baxter, i have used all the hf blanks that i had in barrels, i believe i have 5 or 6 more blanks under tarp outside, and i have 3 or 4 bowl blanks that i have not done any of yet.
Or which one are you going to run out of first?:) i will definitely run out of pear wood before i can do all the different forms. i have been looking at the Zia clans pottery tonight, very nice forms and the clan likes roadrunners. the learning curve is a lot of fun, i just wish i could visit out west, i had applied for EOG grant to help pay for a visit, but the emblishment is not really turning, its more art, sort of real basic. i got real nice letter and encouragement from the EOG committee. hope to put some coins aside and maybe go in three years.

Jim Burr
04-21-2012, 9:46 PM
Nice work Charlie!! May I suggest a SW pottery book or two....big leg up on what's what and who did what. PM for some stuff!

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2012, 9:50 PM
Really nice pieces Charlie. I really like the SW style.

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 10:02 PM
Jim, pm sent

thanks for the comments Jim and Bernie

Michelle Rich
04-22-2012, 7:36 AM
Hi Charlie: the forms are very nice..I find the one with the handle very interesting. I don't know if it's my old eyes, or my monitor, but the decorative work is very light and hard to see. Is it darker in person? Does it look intentional, or hesitant? I've seen your flatwork too & the same thing on those. I've enjoyed watching your explorations.

charlie knighton
04-22-2012, 10:05 AM
hi Michelle, i think the decorative work is darker on this piece than in the past. i agree that the decorative work in the past has been light on the forms and wallhangings. the angle that you are viewing the piece because it is a group piece is part of the problem. monday i plan to upload pictures of that one with the handle and one other new piece that were in the grouping. the one with the handle is a wedding vase, or my version of a wedding vase in their style. thanks for looking and for your comments, it helps to understand what others are preceiving .

Steve Schlumpf
04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Nice variety of forms Charlie! I really like the bowl - top shelf, 3rd from left - as it really captures the SW theme.

Sure looks like you have been having fun with these! Looking forward to seeing more!

charlie knighton
04-22-2012, 3:37 PM
thanks Steve, the friendship bowl/vase is sorta like a hf but with a large opening. looking at in a grouping the pryro may be a little lite, but i really enjoy that one and it does get comments .
Sure looks like you have been having fun with these! Looking forward to seeing more!i really am enjoying these forms, they are more utilitarian than my usual hf, my sister likes that aspect a lot . thanks for your comment Steve.