PDA

View Full Version : Slow Day at the Mill for Turners

Raymond Overman
03-29-2005, 1:39 PM
Since it's been a slow morning for turners at the Mill, I thought I might post a picture of one of my peach semi-closed forms. I turned this a few months ago. It measures about 7" in diameter and 3 1/2" tall. It has a danish oil and wax finish.

I've named it "Draped Scarf" because of the way the darker wood drapes around the shoulders of the rim.

Just for my interest, what would your formula price this bowl at? Don't be shy .

A formula I use is ((diameter X height) X 1.5) + materials . The 1.5 changes depending on the selling venue and the customer's attitude. Materials change depending on what I had to go through to get them or if it's particularly different than anything else I've seen.

Ted Calver
03-29-2005, 1:53 PM
Ray,
This is a nice looking bowl. I didn't realize peach had that much color in it. Does it suffer the same level of cracking and distortion in drying that we normally expect from fruit woods like apple? Again, nice work.
Ted

Raymond Overman
03-29-2005, 1:59 PM
This piece warped slightly but not as much as some others I've had. You have to take some special care not to end up with firewood with the peach.

Ernie Nyvall
03-29-2005, 6:52 PM
Well that is a real peach of a bowl Raymond. That grain is really something. Nice job.

Ernie