PDA

View Full Version : Have use used a Freud Quadra-Cut???? WOW

Bill Huber
04-21-2012, 6:25 PM
I bought a Freud, Quadra-Cut a while back to use for something and then changed my mind and didn't use it. Well today I had a need and used it, it is unreal.

I have the Decorative Edge Bit and it cut so smooth there was NO sanding needed when finished.

I see things advertised all the time about how great something is and half the time it is just not as great as they say. I will have to say that the Quadra-Cut bits are everything they say they are, the cut is as smooth as glass.

http://www.freudtools.com/t-quadra-cut.aspx

Peter Quinn
04-21-2012, 7:00 PM
I have used them Bill, and I agree they are quite a good thing. Its surprising more tooling makers haven't jumped on that concept. Is it patented?

Bruce Page
04-21-2012, 7:02 PM
It's my favorite router bit, bar none!

Van Huskey
04-21-2012, 7:33 PM
Although I am a huge Whiteside fan for for the last couple of years since the Quadra Cuts have been introduced they are my first choice if Freud makes the profile with the four wings.

Bill Huber
04-21-2012, 8:11 PM
So all of you have been holding out on us, so you could make nicer edges then the rest of us......:rolleyes:
I will remember that...

Van Huskey
04-21-2012, 8:43 PM
So all of you have been holding out on us, so you could make nicer edges then the rest of us......:rolleyes:
I will remember that...

I haven't been:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?128631-Router-bits-and-books&highlight=quadra

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?133140-tearout&highlight=quadra

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?132508-Birdseye-Maple-Router-Technique-Question&highlight=quadra

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?134774-Routing-3-wing-vs-4-wing-slot-cutter&highlight=quadra

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?130145-Where-to-Buy-quality-router-bits-at-fair-price&highlight=quadra

:D

Myk Rian
04-21-2012, 8:44 PM
Also guilty.:(

Dick Mahany
04-21-2012, 9:16 PM
I used to use CMT, but switched to Whiteside about 5 years ago and couldn't believe what an improvement it made. Recently, I decided to try a Freud Quadra Cut bit and I was blown away with the finish of the cuts on Maple and Oak. After this, it will be a tough call whether to get Whiteside (like them lots) or Quadra Cut. I don't have any of the traditional Freud two-flute cutters so not really an apples to apples comparison.

Michael Mayo
04-21-2012, 10:25 PM
I used a Freud two flute 1 1/4" mortising bit today to cut the slots for the miter tracks in my router table build. It cut beautiful and although I hate to admit it I hit some of the screws I used to attach the Corian to the BB ply a couple of times before I smartened up enough to remove the screws. The bit showed no signs what so ever of damage from trimming the screws off. As a matter of fact I didn't even feel the bit going through the screws. I wish I hadn't done that but I was very pleased to discover i hadn't ruined the bit which I just bought today for this particular application. I have been curious about the Quadra-cut bits and now will have to pick one up to try.

frank shic
04-21-2012, 11:29 PM
what?!? i thought EVERYONE already knew about them... hardly need to do any sanding afterwards even on the cross grain!

Mike Heidrick
04-21-2012, 11:52 PM
That "quadra cut" has been in Freuds shaper cutters (for example their UC and UP seres raised panel cutters) for a LONG time.

Bill Huber
04-22-2012, 11:18 AM
I guess what this proves is I need to read deeper into more post and do a better job of searching on things.

I did some searching and found a lot of post on the Q-Cs, I just need to remember to do that before I make post and when I wonder if something is really as good as it is advertised.

Van Huskey
04-22-2012, 12:14 PM
I guess what this proves is I need to read deeper into more post and do a better job of searching on things.

I did some searching and found a lot of post on the Q-Cs, I just need to remember to do that before I make post and when I wonder if something is really as good as it is advertised.

Bill, I think the thread makes sense because I don't remember a thread dedicated to them, many people may have missed them being mentioned in other threads. The are indeed good enough to merit an occasional mention!

Bill Huber
04-22-2012, 12:25 PM
Bill, I think the thread makes sense because I don't remember a thread dedicated to them, many people may have missed them being mentioned in other threads. The are indeed good enough to merit an occasional mention!

When I did a search on the Q-Cs I found a post that was made about how good they were and there were zero replies. it was back in 2010.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?137740-Freud-Quadra-cut-bits&highlight=quadra+cut

I just ordered 3 more of them, the roundovers that I use the most, I guess the old Woodcraft will just have to find a new home.

Gordon Eyre
04-22-2012, 12:55 PM
Thanks Bill, I will certainly give them a try when I need a new bit. Up to now I have been real pleased with my Jesada bits of which I have many.

Paul McGaha
04-22-2012, 2:21 PM
Freud makes great products. Sawblades, Dado Sets, Router and Shaper bits, Forstner Bits, I have a an old set of beater chisels of theirs that are decent.

I don't think I've ever been dissatisfied by one of their products. It's a good company. Good products.

PHM

Tom Esh
04-22-2012, 2:30 PM
Indeed. I bought a set of the QC roundovers last year when WC had them on special and they pretty much put anything else I've ever used to shame. I try to reserve them for those special or particularly tear-out prone jobs, but they'll spoil 'ya real fast.

Bill Huber
04-22-2012, 5:21 PM
Freud makes great products. Sawblades, Dado Sets, Router and Shaper bits, Forstner Bits, I have a an old set of beater chisels of theirs that are decent.

I don't think I've ever been dissatisfied by one of their products. It's a good company. Good products.

PHM

I will agree with that, I use their blades on the table saw and that is it, I like them better then the WW I had. The only thing that I can say I don't like is their sanding disk, so one of of all the stuff they have is not bad.

Chris Kennedy
04-22-2012, 7:41 PM
I have several Freud products and like all of them. I haven't had a reason to buy a router bit since the the Quadra-cuts came out, but the moment I saw them advertised, I thought they would be good. I just keep hearing good things and the next time I need a bit, if there is a QC version, I'm going that route.

Cheers,

Chris

Brent VanFossen
04-22-2012, 9:23 PM
I wanted to buy the Quadra-cut roundover bit last week, until I noticed that the two extra cutters are square and don't remove any of the round-over profile. I suppose they're there for use if you use it for beading, but for my use with the radius tangential to the surfaces, I couldn't see any benefit just looking at the thing. For clarification, two of the cutters are the full profile, and the other two cutters are only partial. You can see that in the photo that Bill posted above.

Bill Huber
04-26-2012, 7:15 PM
I wanted to buy the Quadra-cut roundover bit last week, until I noticed that the two extra cutters are square and don't remove any of the round-over profile. I suppose they're there for use if you use it for beading, but for my use with the radius tangential to the surfaces, I couldn't see any benefit just looking at the thing. For clarification, two of the cutters are the full profile, and the other two cutters are only partial. You can see that in the photo that Bill posted above.

Not really true, the small cutter still does some cutting when you are just doing a round over. You will not see a lot of difference in the cut of a normal round-over on the long grain but when you go to end grain it come out much better, smoother all the way from one edge to the other.

My round-overs came in today and I had to go out and give it a try, they really cut a smooth cut and again you really see it with the end grain.

Chris Padilla
04-27-2012, 3:18 PM
Nice, I will have to pick some up and work on a patented "Hexacutter" next. :p

Mike Goetzke
04-28-2012, 10:06 AM
Bill - I recently finished cabinets for our new kitchen. I had to make 70 some raised panels and I used the Quadra raised panel set. The raised panel profiles looked like a glass finish - like you said little to no sanding. One thing I didn't like was the panel raiser with back cutter did not have a bearing and I made several curved top doors so I had to keep the stock moving. Freud says the lack of a bearing is to maximize depth of cut but I have to think it is to reduce cost.

Mike

Rian de Bruyn
04-29-2012, 9:24 AM
we can't buy it in South Africa:(

Brent VanFossen
04-30-2012, 2:38 AM
Thanks, Bill. I'll give them another look.