PDA

View Full Version : Beading Tools

Dale Winburn
04-21-2012, 5:25 PM
What's the best tool(s) for small (1/8 -1/2 inch) beads? I'm looking for ways to improve my beads, right now I have a long way to go to get the perfect bead. Does anybody have any experience with the D-Way Beading Tools?

Thanks for your input.
Dale Winburn

Jim Burr
04-21-2012, 6:07 PM
IMO...D-way is the way to go. I don't get paid by Dave, just a happy customer. I tried the Sorby and it scared the crap outa me!! I have the 3/16 & 1/8, and use them un-handled. Jim Adkins uses the same and in the same fashion. This presupposes that you are not a skew master!

John Keeton
04-21-2012, 7:59 PM
+1 on D-Way. I have tried the Sorby and others - no comparison!

BILL DONAHUE
04-22-2012, 12:29 AM
Ditto on D Way

Russell Neyman
04-22-2012, 8:59 AM
Yep, D-Way. And get the detail tool, too. It's teardrop-shaped and great for getting into tight places.

John Keeton
04-22-2012, 9:08 AM
Yep, D-Way. And get the detail tool, too. It's teardrop-shaped and great for getting into tight places.I agree with Russell on the diamond tool, as well. It is my go to for incising and laying out beads, etc.

Dale Winburn
04-22-2012, 9:39 AM
Thanks to everyone for your input. I just ordered the 5 tool set of beading tools and the diamond tool.

Dale Winburn

Russell Neyman
04-22-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with Russell on the diamond tool, as well. It is my go to for incising and laying out beads, etc.

I keep meaning to photograph it and post my thoughts on it here. That little thing is pretty darn handy. I use it to create scores for burn lines and to clean out corners. It gives you the ability to create extremely crisp corners, too.

John Keeton
04-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Russell, sounds like you use it much like I do. There are some cuts that can be done so easily with it - nice tool to have in the quiver!

Steve Mawson
04-22-2012, 1:34 PM
Also watch Dave's video on the D-Way site. That will show how to use the tools to help you get started. Another satisfied customer.

Ryan Baker
04-22-2012, 5:35 PM
I've gotta agree with the others. The D-Way beading tools (and diamond tool) are great. I keep meaning to fill out my set with the last few sizes I don't have. Another satisfied customer.

Definitely watch the videos on the site. There's something about the way those tools are presented that is unsettling and sets off the "don't do it -- it's gonna catch" part of my brain. But it works just fine and leaves a cleaner cut than any of the scraping tools.

Bernie Weishapl
04-22-2012, 9:45 PM
Sheesh here we go again. More tools I need to get including the D-way CBN wheel.

Russell Neyman
04-23-2012, 1:11 AM
Absolutely watch Dave Schweitzer's video on the D-Way site, because the way these are used differently than all other beading tools I know of (or own). It's different, but easier. One thing Dave will tell you in person -- but I don't think he says it on the video -- is that it helps to lubricate the beading process with soapy water in a spray bottle.