PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new TS and 8" jointer. are these two brands the same???

Bill Sanson
04-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Hey all i am down to the final strokes of getting my saw and jointer and am down to the grizzly and King international brands. I am in eastern Canada so not everything is around for me to look at. I am on somewhat of a budget and am looking for a few extra features in the saw such as the sliding sled and router table so this is what i cam up with. I think after shipping and King's higher cost here they will most likel be about the same. My question is should I buy the King from the local dealer or ship in grizzly that i know i will be happy with. It would be easier for me to do it local but i dont want to settle as i plan for these to be tools that last forever. I dont have many reviews on the King but after looking closely at the picks and knowing they come in as well from Taiwan are these virtually the same tools? I added picks below and any input would be great.

cheers,

Bill

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Bill, for me there are a couple of considerations

- does the Grizzly have a Canadian electrical approval? Some of their models do, some don't

- I always support the local dealer, they're actually in your neighbourhood.

Regards, Rod

David Kumm
04-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Bill, it's pretty tough to know if the machines are identical. Both are likely made in the same factory but the bearings, motor, electricals , etc may be different. The quality control supervision of the brand is what is important. I'm assuming the market for used is pretty light on the island but a used General will likely outlast a new Grizzly or King if you are looking for machines that last a lifetime. Dave

Van Huskey
04-21-2012, 3:25 PM
As Dave said it is tough to know exactly what the internal specs are on different machines even if cosmetically they are identical. If you don't get a full answer here there is a Canadian Woodworking forum (easy to find with a google search) where there is a lot more discussion of brands that are specific to Canada along with comparisons to Grizzly now that Grizzly sells them there. I also agree that I would prefer a General(not International) cabinet saw lightly used.

Tim Janssen
04-21-2012, 9:08 PM
Hi Bill,

According to their website, there is a Busy Bee store in Dartmouth, NS. close to where you live. Quite a few products sold by Grizzly look identical to those sold under the Graftex brand by Busy Bee, including the sliding table shown in your pictures. Worth looking into.
Good luck.

Tim

Bill Sanson
04-21-2012, 9:28 PM
thanks guys,,

I agree with everything that you all say. I would love to support my local comapnies however the craftex and king lines make me weary as at the very least i dont hear many good things about their customer service. I will look more into the king line but it is looking more and more like grizzly. i have a griz bs and love it so i know i will feel comfortable there. I would hate to buy something only to get it home and be disappointed.
Bill