PDA

View Full Version : The generosity of Creekers never ends!

Kathy Marshall
04-21-2012, 6:15 AM
I came home yesterday to find 2, yes 2, boxes on my porch! (I really need to turn something for my mail carrier!).
Baxter Smith surprised me with some goodies! He sent a big chunk of hophornbean and a big chunk of yellow birch, and then he filled in the spaces with a slab of birds eye maple, a couple holly blanks, a little chunk of apple and a little ambrosia maple blank!
I've never turned hophornbean or yellow birch, so I'm looking forward to turning something new, of course holly is pretty scarce here in the desert so those will come in real handy for finials or stoppers or collars. The birds eye would make some really nice collars and lids, but I almost hate to cut it up, the apple looks to be a pretty color and I have an order for a stopper and I think the ambrosia maple will fit the bill nicely!
Even though I know Creekers (and turners in general) to be about the nicest people around, it still sometimes surprises me just how generous they can be. So the question is, does turning make people nicer, or are good people drawn to turning?

Thanks again Baxter! Now I have a few more varieties to add to my list of woods I've turned, and the list is getting pretty long! I'll be sure to post pics of what these become.

Ed Morgano
04-21-2012, 7:20 AM
[QUOTE=Kathy Marshall;1915481] So the question is, does turning make people nicer, or are good people drawn to turning?

Kathy,
I think it works both ways. Nice people are drawn to woodworking and working with your hands gives one a better grounding in reality. I've been involved with woodworkers since I started our business (Clear Vue Cyclones) in 2004 and I've had the same experience. Woodworkers in general are a great group of people.

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 9:29 AM
That was generous of Baxter...nice guy, isn't he? Kathy, you ought to meet him someday. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

charlie knighton
04-21-2012, 4:41 PM
nice gloat Kathy, good for you Baxter

Baxter Smith
04-21-2012, 8:41 PM
Many thanks again for the wood you sent me Kathy! I couldn't match the beauty of the wood you sent, so had to settle for something that doesn't grow in your neck of the desert.:)
Both the yellow birch and hophornbeam have double coats of original anchorseal on the exposed wood. I just wrapped them in the plastic to make sure they got there as solid as possible. Didn't know how they would react to being 2883 miles from home.;):) If you would like some more holly sometime, let me know.

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2012, 9:53 PM
Congrats Kathy and Baxter great gesture.