PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying electric motor

Sal Kurban
04-21-2012, 12:04 AM
Greetings to all:

I purchased an electric motor that supposedly came off a Powermatic 1285 jointer. The label was removed and there is no identifying information other than the Fukuta brand. It is supposed to be a 3 HP TEFC but I have no way of telling. It seems to have capacitors and a wiring diagram for low voltage and high voltage. I am not the electrical type so any info or leads will be appreciated here. 230180

Kevin W Johnson
04-21-2012, 1:50 AM
Capacitors would/should indicate that it is single phase. Most likely capable of either 120v or 240v operation. Have any pictures with the electrical cover off?

Mike Heidrick
04-21-2012, 3:37 AM
That picture sure does not show any start capacitors. My guess is 3 phase. How many wires are under the cover? I am also guessing the low voltage and high voltage is 220V 3 phase and 440 3 phase. Also most 3hp motors do not have a lifting eyebolt. Just my guesses and opinions - hard to tell with not seeing more.

The 1285 is a 12" jointer that is a lot like my Delta DJ30 12" jointer. Mine is 3hp 3phase. let me know if you need any info off it.

Rick Lizek
04-21-2012, 6:04 AM
Bring it to a motor shop and they can relabel it correctly.

Rod Sheridan
04-21-2012, 9:04 AM
Sal, post the wiring diagram please..................Thanks, Rod.

P.S. If it has capacitors it's a single phase motor.

Peter Kelly
04-21-2012, 9:32 AM
That picture sure does not show any start capacitors. My guess is 3 phase. How many wires are under the cover? I am also guessing the low voltage and high voltage is 220V 3 phase and 440 3 phase. Also most 3hp motors do not have a lifting eyebolt. Just my guesses and opinions - hard to tell with not seeing more.

The 1285 is a 12" jointer that is a lot like my Delta DJ30 12" jointer. Mine is 3hp 3phase. let me know if you need any info off it.

The one in the pic is almost certainly 3ph. Could also be 240/480V.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Please show a picture of the capacitors and wiring diagram...

Van Huskey
04-21-2012, 3:34 PM
I don't see caps either, how many leads does it have? IIRC 9 leads would be a dual voltage 3ph motor. Also low and high voltage wiring would also be a clue it is a 230/460v 3ph motor, you aren't going to see a 3hp induction motor that will run on 120v.

Kevin W Johnson
04-21-2012, 4:21 PM
We're in limbo till the OP returns....

I thought myself, the motor looks 3 phase, but the OP says it has capacitors. We simply need more pics and info...

Sal Kurban
04-21-2012, 5:05 PM
Thank you all for the feedback. I have the following pictures for the capacitor and the connection:230230230231230232
Sal.

Kevin W Johnson
04-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Weird animal indeed. 6 wire, hi/low voltage, reversable, a capacitor with a 350v max voltage....

I found this http://fukuta0805.en.ec21.com/Iec_Motor--4987155_4987156.html but it doesn't really help much. Info on this brand of motor is scarce.

Mike Heidrick
04-21-2012, 11:19 PM
MikeHenderson makes a good point on the two inputs.

Still betting that 50uF is a run cap though and not a start cap.

Mike Henderson
04-21-2012, 11:53 PM
Motor is definately 3 phase and 230V/460V 3 phase rated. It is not a 120V motor.

That cap is 50 microfarad and is a run cap not a start cap and I am betting it did not come from the mfg like that. Guessing someone was trying to implement a phase converter of some sort. 350-370V rated run caps are common.

All 3 phase motors are reversable so that is not shocking to see on the diagram. 6 wire is also fairly common on dual voltage import motors.

Even if it works and runs, one of the phases (one without cap and that is not generated via the power company) is going to be way out of balance and very wild. The cap'd phase is may also be off. I suggest if you do plan to use this setup you measure the voltages across the phases.

You will need a method to start this motor too on 230V single phase. Spin it or build a start circit (either switched or one that drops out once started). I am betting 220V single phase by itself will not start it.

There are folks here much more educated in 3 phase generation than I that will likely chime in.
I highly doubt if that's a 3 phase motor, based on the wiring diagram, which only shows one line input for each option (low voltage, high voltage, and CW and CCW for each). There's no way from the diagram to know what the voltage is for "low voltage" and "high voltage" but for single phase operation I'd start guessing at 120V and 240V. Of course, if it's really a 3HP, you won't be able to run it on 120V very easily.

The wiring diagram for a three phase motor looks very different from this wiring diagram.

And as far as the HP rating goes, all motors of the same type and HP are approximately the same physical size. So if you have access to another 3HP TEFC motor, compare the physical size, or get the size of a 3HP TEFC motor off the Internet and compare it to yours. If your motor is significantly smaller, it's probably not a 3HP.

Mike

Mike Henderson
04-22-2012, 12:09 AM
Here's my guess for how the motor is wired.

There are three coils. The ends of the first coil are numbered 1 and 2.
The ends of the second coil are numbered 3 and 4.
The ends of the third coil are numbered 5 and 6.

The first two coils are the field coils. For low voltage operation, they are placed in parallel. For high voltage operation, they are placed in series.

The third coil is the starting coil and the capacitor is in series with that coil (between the 5 and 6 ends). It is connected across the line for either voltage operation but is disconnected as soon as the motor starts up by the centrifugal switch. The reason for the 350V capacitor is that when the motor is wired for 240V operation, the voltage across the cap is 240V, plus a safety factor.

Mike

Rod Sheridan
04-22-2012, 8:34 AM
Yes, as Mike indicated it's a standard 3 winding, 6 lead single phase motor, nothing unusual about it.

It is a capacitor start motor, you can tell because the capacitor is far too small physically to be a run capacitor. (Start capacitors are bipolar electrolytics, which are small physically, and only suitable for intermittent use).

Regards, Rod.