PDA

View Full Version : Gotta gloat...again

Mike Cruz
04-20-2012, 11:40 PM
Okay, I told myself "NO more tools!" And I've been fairly good lately. Though I do have to admit that I peruse CL for lathe stuff. Well stumbled upon this gold mine an hour after it posted. Lathe is a little over a year old. ;)

Here are the NEW prices for the stuff the deal included:

Rikon model 70-050VS $280 (sale price…usually $430)
Stand $160 (sale price…usually $180)
Bionic face shield $30 (at Amazon…$56 at Woodcraft)
Woodriver turning tools (5 piece set) $25 (sale price…usually $51)
4 Pen books $60 (about)
Pen and bottle stopper drilling vise $90
Pen assembly press $50
Turner’s sanding paper $23
Micromesh 3” H&L sanding discs $16
Pen tube insertion tool $12
Sedona Roller ball pen kit ($13 each @ 7) $91
European Style Ballpoint Pen Kit ($8.50 ea @ 6) $51
European Style Screw Cap Fountain Pen Kit $14
Bushings $15 (about)
Misc. pen pieces $20
Wood pen blanks (@ 17) $20
Acrylic pen blanks (@ 5) $25
Pen mandrel $25
Wax (@ 3) $20

TOTAL $1027 - 1197 (depending on sales)

He was asking $160 OBO...I didn't bother to haggle. HE thanked ME for taking this stuff off his hands. :D He is VERY welcome. ;)

Doug W Swanson
04-20-2012, 11:42 PM
You suck! Even if you are going to sell everything, you suck!

Jim Burr
04-21-2012, 12:04 AM
You paid for a mandrel, wax, bushings and pen blanks? Wow...really? Other than that...not bad.

Bill Wyko
04-21-2012, 12:23 AM
HAHAAAA resistance is futile!!! Just when we say no tools, a deal like this will come along every time. Congratulations, nice score!!!

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 12:36 AM
Doug, I might sell some of the stuff that is double of what I already have, but that wasn't the plan...

Jim, that's kinda how I looked at it, too. Too bad I already bought a bunch of these things recently.

Bill, if you only knew... There are 5 lathes in my shop right now. Granted, one is bound for restoration and resale, another was going to be something but, while it is hard to explain, will be sold, too. And the third is a another mini that will likely end up with a friend of mine. So, after I get everything in order, I'll only have the two. Well, that is until the one that is being fabricated for me gets here... Then it'll be three, and that will be it! NO more! Shoot, I shouldn't say that...

Bill Wyko
04-21-2012, 12:43 AM
I'm genuinely LMAO right now. I've been there a few times.

Sid Matheny
04-21-2012, 12:54 AM
You should be jailed for stealing all those tools!

Sid

Kyle Iwamoto
04-21-2012, 12:59 AM
YOU SUCK! You should be in jail...:)

Jon McElwain
04-21-2012, 1:20 AM
Just when we say no tools, a deal like this will come along every time.

No more tools. No more tools. No more tools.

I'm waiting....

Looks like a nice haul there. You should be able to recover your costs without putting much of a dent in that pile of loot!

Rick Markham
04-21-2012, 2:04 AM
Nice score Mike! Ok, spill the beans on this custom lathe you are having fabricated... that sounds like a gloat within a gloat.:D You definitely got a heck of a deal there, I wouldn't have been able to pass that up.

Jay Rasmussen
04-21-2012, 7:26 AM
I guess making pens was not as much fun as your seller thought it would be.

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 7:26 AM
Sid and Kyle, I'm not at home. I'm in my safe-house. I've been watching the blue lights screaming down the street all night...they're looking for me!

Jon, I'm really not sure that there is a whole lot I want to get rid of... There are a few things, but then again, they aren't high dollar stuff. We'll see.

Rick, patience my friend, patience. In good time (meaning when it is done), I'll be sure to post...

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 7:34 AM
Jay, you have no idea. This was actually the FUNNY part... Well, first let me say that the reason he was selling was because he broke some ribs taking a fall while going down the stairs to get his new born a bottle in the middle of the night. Doc told him that turning was a bad idea. The lathe was sitting in his basement for a year (after the fall), so he thought it is time for it to go. That wasn't (at all) the funny part (unless you think it is, then laugh away...). The funny part is that he wasn't much of a turner, or woodworker. BUT he obviously "got" everything he needed for turning. Oh yeah, EXCEPT any sharpening equipment! He turned a couple dozen pens...without ever resharpening his tools. I personally think that the idea of sharpening was overwhelming to him...and that is why he gave up on it. Somewhere in those 4 books, they HAD to mention sharpening... Oh well... Three of the blanks have already been drilled and the barrels/sleeves inserted. It was evident that he couldn't drill a straight hole. They may be ruined...maybe not...I'll have to see.

Scott Lux
04-21-2012, 7:51 AM
I am more than a little bit jealous. Great gloat.

Gary Max
04-21-2012, 8:03 AM
Awesome score-----now you have to find space for all of it-------:)

Roger Chandler
04-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Rick, patience my friend, patience. In good time (meaning when it is done), I'll be sure to post...

Mike..........has Dan had a bad influence on you lately? Have you visited his shop since he made a trip to Grumbine's place?

Geez.............you DAMP guys! :D

Steve bellinger
04-21-2012, 10:29 AM
Yep you really do suck!! I just wish it was me that sucked over that great gloat.:)

Bernie Weishapl
04-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Sheeessh Mike that is just highway robbery. Congrats on a great find.

patrick stein
04-21-2012, 10:53 AM
mike you have the right touch on craigslist. way to go.

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks, Patrick. Glad to see you are around!

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 10:59 AM
Roger, no I haven't been to Dan's yet. We have a meeting scheduled for the 28th to see her.

Thanks, Steve and Bernie. Bernie, HE thanked ME for taking it. And a bit of info I hadn't disclosed yet... He lives 2 hours away from me. He drove within 30 minutes of where I live to deliver it to ME. Again, I thanked him for that. HE thanked ME for getting him out of work early on a beautiful Friday afternoon...:D

patrick stein
04-21-2012, 11:49 AM
thanks mike, its taken awhile to get back to some what normal.

David DeCristoforo
04-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Geez, Mike. I don't se how you can call that a "gloat". A hundred and sixty bucks!?!? You got screwed, buddy. That guy is probably still laughing.

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 11:56 AM
One of us is!

thomas prusak
04-21-2012, 3:11 PM
Whatever Mike:eek:

Bill Wyko
04-21-2012, 4:09 PM
I'll give you $200.00 cash right now!!!! I'll even pay shipping. LMAO

Mike Cruz
04-21-2012, 4:28 PM
Thomas, I'll take that as a You Suck...

Bill, I'd say add a "0", but that would be pushing it. ;)

Honestly, if the guy had done the "list" of new prices like I did (took me what, an hour?) and posted it on CL with a $500 price, I think he could have easily gotten it...

Tony De Masi
04-22-2012, 8:08 AM
I'm tired of of all these gloats you post. Why don't you post some of your work once in a while and show us what you can do besides collect lathes?

Mike Cruz
04-22-2012, 8:35 AM
Okay everyone.... ENTER the "friend" that I was looking for that lathe for. :rolleyes: He doesn't seem a little cranky, does he? :D

Hayes Rutherford
04-22-2012, 9:42 AM
Mike, he probably would have taken 100.00 but then old Ben Franklin would have started to cry.

Peter Elliott
04-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I'm tired of of all these gloats you post. Why don't you post some of your work once in a while and show us what you can do besides collect lathes?

Ya! Ya Mike, why don't you!!!!! (as I say that over Tony's shoulders)

So why were you looking for another lathe Mike? :D

Mike Cruz
04-22-2012, 12:57 PM
Do I hear someone crying "sour grapes"?...:rolleyes:

Jim Laumann
04-26-2012, 5:17 PM
Damn - you done good!!

Jim

Gary Herrmann
04-26-2012, 7:29 PM
First, you suck, Mike.

Second, 5 lathes? Really? 5? I need pics to believe that one.

You're going to go on my list of guys I point out to my wife. "Look honey, I know I have 2 lathes, but I know this guy that has 5!"

Now if I could ever get out of work at a decent time so I could turn something..

Jeff Nicol
04-26-2012, 9:15 PM
Mike, I see the therapy did not take a hold like the dudes in the white coats had promised! But when the CL gods shine the light a toolaholic can't resist! I am a long term member of Tollaholics Anonymos myself, but I have an idea for you on one of the minis. Get some stepper motors and a 3-4 axis board and make a nice little CNC wood lathe! I am sure you could find some time inbetween mucking stalls and chasing the dogs to figure it all out!

Maybe I will have to drive out to Maryland and do an intervention if you keep falling off the wagon,

Good fun,

Jeff

Mike Cruz
04-26-2012, 11:36 PM
An intervention, Jeff, is that what you would call it? Enabler more like it!

Thanks, Jim. :D

Gary, here's the deal in a nutshell...

1. Main lathe: restored PM90 with risers and all the bells and whistles
2. Rikon 12" mini lathe: my "second" lathe that will mostly be for pens and when my local turning group comes over
3. Jet mini lathe: CL deal, but I just sold it to one of my turning buddies...actually, I was looking for a mini for him when this Rikon deal came along
4. Morse and Lathe Tool Co lathe: Made around 1880; CL...someone was moving and giving it away for free. I'm going to clean it up and resell it
5. Vega 24" bowl lathe: Had plans for this, but am going to sell due to #6 (see below)
6. Super double secret lathe: having it made for me for large bowls

SO, after all is said and done, I will have 3 lathes...just three. Hey, that IS more than my band saws (2), but less than my...oh, wait, I don't have 4 of anything...okay, 3 lathes, yeah, I'm a toolaholic. :o

Vernon Jenewein
04-28-2012, 5:08 AM
In a razor forum I am in such an addiction is called RAD, and some have it bad. It stands for Razor Acquisition Disease. Almost incurable. So in this instance is it TAD = Tool Acquisition Disease?

Mike Cruz
04-28-2012, 7:17 AM
Vernon, I'll buy that! :D