PDA

View Full Version : The Good and the Ugly

wes murphy
04-20-2012, 8:16 PM
These are closed forms two and three in my delve into the art. The first is a Cherry piece that is not hollowed very smooth, but since I didn't screw it up, I feel pretty good about it. I did turn off the tenon after the pic. The other is a walnut piece which I hollowed out very smoothly but not as thin as you experts here will do. It's probably on the 1/4" side of the thickness. I totally screwed up the finish on the walnut piece so I'll have to sand it down and try again.

Wes

230166 230167

Thomas Canfield
04-20-2012, 9:00 PM
Wes, It looks like you are getting into the hollow form business, and two nice shapes. To me, a thinker wall is always betten than a funnel. Of course, you have to make a funnel from time to time to see your error of judgement. You did not give the size, and so I will yield to your statement that 1/4" is thick.

charlie knighton
04-20-2012, 9:45 PM
a lot of customers will not want a thin piece, they think it will break and is delicate like glass

very nice Wes

Bernie Weishapl
04-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Really nice Wes. Really like that second one. Great wood and grain.

John Keeton
04-21-2012, 6:44 AM
Good progress, Wes!! What is the finish on the walnut? It might be easier to remove the finish with solvents if that is an option. Lacquer thinner, alcohol, acetone, etc.

Dennis Ford
04-21-2012, 7:15 AM
You are doing fine, I like the form on both although I would like the first one more if it did not have the foot. As to the thickness issue; being able to turn thin pieces is a good skill for impressing other turners and high-end collectors but most people prefer pieces that they are not afraid of breaking.

wes murphy
04-21-2012, 10:44 AM
John, that was going to my first method of removal. The finish is Behlens Woodturners Finish. Just ordered some the General Finishes product, so I'll wait until I get that before putting another finish on it. Thanks to all for the kind words.

Wes