PDA

View Full Version : Labtop Computer Will Not Charge

Ed Hazel
04-20-2012, 7:28 PM
My daughters gateway win7 computer will not charge anymore. Tried different battery and charger with same results. My gateway uses the same battery and charger so we have been charging her battery in my computer to get by she will be done with college for the summer in a week.

Does this sound like a Motherboard issue? Or do they have some type of power supply in them?

Jerome Stanek
04-20-2012, 7:31 PM
It sounds like the socket in the laptop has a broken solder joint. This ia a common problem with some laptops. To check this will it run on plugged in without the battery

Ed Hazel
04-20-2012, 7:55 PM
Sorry should have stated that it will not run on ac power with the battery in or with the battery out. She also said it gave her problems before but started working again this happened a couple of times before but this time it did not fix itself.

Kevin W Johnson
04-21-2012, 2:21 AM
Yeah, definately sounds like a power jack issue. I've replaced more of those than I can count. It's probably the weakest part on a laptop, and normal usage from plugging and unplugging can cause them to break. I've seen many people transport the laptop with the adapter still plugged in to the laptop (bad, bump it, and break the jack), as well as people forgetting it's plugged in, and get up and start across the room with it. Then there's people tripping over the cord.

The fact that it was "on again, off again" would be broken solder joints.

Ed Hazel
04-21-2012, 7:55 PM
Thanks I ordered a power jack for it.