PDA

View Full Version : Workbench vise

Julian Amin
04-20-2012, 5:02 PM
Hello everyone,

I'm new to woodworking and have been starting to plan/build a workbench. A few weeks ago I purchased a used vise (the green one below). Then, just a few days ago, I saw this other vise and bought it also--it was totally impulsive but it looked to be a good deal. I'm thinking I should probably stick with just one and try to sell the other to make some money for other tools. Are there any differences in how each of these vises are used or where they are supposed to be mounted on the bench? And, which one would you recommend me keeping for small-medium sized projects? Thanks!

Peter Pedisich
04-20-2012, 5:41 PM
I would compare them by temporarily mounting them, if possible, and putting a 2" block of wood hard over to one end of the vise, and try to measure the deflection. Sell the one that deflects more, if they are both good with minimal deflection, and cost little, then use them both.

good luck!

Mark Engel
04-20-2012, 5:52 PM
I would use the green vise as a face vice and the other as an end vice. Every bench should have (at least) two vises. :)

Julian Amin
04-20-2012, 6:13 PM
I would use the green vise as a face vice and the other as an end vice. Every bench should have (at least) two vises. :)

I have a feeling that this might be the suggestion I end up taking. Would anyone mind explaining what the functional difference between a face vise and an end vise?

Mark Engel
04-20-2012, 6:17 PM
Location, location, location.

Curt Putnam
04-20-2012, 6:55 PM
A tail vise is most often used for clamping boards laying on the bench top for work on the faces. That's not the sole reason they exist, but that is where the face planing function usually originates. A face vise (so named because it is mounted on the face = long dimension of the bench) is normally used clamping boards for work on edges. Almost any type of vise can be used in any position but some are better suited for either face or tail positions. For example: I've never seen a leg vise mounted on the tail, nor have I ever seen a wagon vise mounted on the face. I strongly suggest that you get Chris Schwarz's books on bench design. They do a very good job of explaining which vises work well in which positions - and why.

Terry Beadle
04-21-2012, 12:45 PM
IMHO, I'd use the green vice as an end vice and the black one as the main vice. The end vice would need a peg installed near the side nearest the edge of the bench. The pegs shouldn't be more than an 1 1/2 from the edge. An end vice needs very little pressure to do it's job well. So the green vice should be able to handle that role nicely.

Dem'x my 2 cents ! Hoot!

Enjoy the process!

Jim Koepke
04-21-2012, 12:52 PM
The bigger vise looks like it is set up to be an end or tail vise with a dog hole at one side.

I use my tail vise all the time for holding smaller pieces when cutting joinery or planing.

jtk