PDA

View Full Version : "Friction" or "French" Polish

Chris Studley
04-20-2012, 12:46 PM
A while back I had asked about Homemade Friction polish. (of the equal parts BLO,DNA,Shellac variety)

As always the Creekers here gave me all the info I needed. One of the comments was that I didn't hold up to the oils in your hands over time if the piece is to be handled.

I have sinced made up a batch and used it on a few things and I really like the way it goes on(and dries rapidly for multiple applications in short time) and feels on a piece. I seem to be able to get a decent shine, not too much, but that is my personel preference anyway.

This leads me to my question(s)

Why is this any different than applying, BLO and shellac? (as the DNA is a solvent present in shallac as applied anyway).

Is the fact they are mixed and or applied at the same time the difference?
Since they both cure and seem quite hard, why the hand oil issue?

Is there anyway to use the friction polish and then, when cured fully, apply something that will be that final barrier from the oils?

I have used paste wax for this on the few pieces I have made and used the Friction polish, I like the feel but these pieces are quite recent and I don't know how they will really hold up long term. Any thought on this paste wax method?

These questions are general in nature so advise fore a bowl may differ from advise for something like a platter etc and I'd like to hear all of that advise...but the questions come up because I am making a couple peppermills this weekend and I would like to use the friction polish but know that obviously the pepper mills will be handled quite frequently and that is said to be a drawback of this method.

I eagerly await the wisdom coming my way...

Thanks.

paul vechart
04-20-2012, 1:11 PM
Look at this u-tube video...lots of info on this topic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taJbBmcaAZQ

Jim Burr
04-20-2012, 1:21 PM
Chris, for me, friction polish on a bowl is a mistake. You could buff on some Renwax, but neither hold up under use. Small boxes, ornamental item and the like are good for friction polish. I haven't had exposure to or tried French polish yet.

Chris Studley
04-21-2012, 8:57 AM
Thanks, as always very helpful

John Keeton
04-21-2012, 9:13 AM
Chris, unless I am trying to avoid a darkening of the wood, I nearly always use BLO, followed quickly by shellac applied with the same BLO soaked piece of paper shop towel, so yes, it seems we are both accomplishing the same thing. I also spin the piece at relatively high rpm to burn in the shellac and BLO. This acts as my base coat for either WOP, or more recently the General WTF. I do not leave the shellac as the final finish, though it can produce a nice finish. Using it on flatwork is much easier than on a round turning, however.

Michelle Rich
04-22-2012, 7:30 AM
for kitchen use items, you'd be best served by a harder finish. Easier to keep clean. For art bowls on a shelf, you can use your finish. You must use finishes designed for the purpose they are intended. there is no real universal finish.