PDA

View Full Version : Removing epoxy over shellac

denis tuomey
04-20-2012, 9:45 AM
In the process of making 6 chairs w/cherry, which are out tanning now. I plan to wipe down with BLO, then dry fit and spray 2 coats of garnet shellac (1st x spraying chairs/shellac). Then glue up with epoxy, (I will tape off glue areas to protect from epoxy) then spray necessary coats of EM6000.

My question is - IF any of the epoxy gets on the shellac can it be wiped off without removing the shellac :confused:

Bill White
04-20-2012, 9:53 AM
Why use epoxy? Won't a good pva glue work?
Bill

Mike Henderson
04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
Probably not. If you're gluing up mortise and tenon joints, there are some things you can do to minimize the glue squeeze out. On the mortise, cut a bevel around the top of the mortise. That will provide a place for excess glue to go when you put the joint together. Don't put a lot of glue on the tenon. I like to "wet" the tenon with the epoxy simply because I believe it helps to make a good glue joint, but most of the glue goes into the mortise. And the mortise should be deeper by maybe 1/8" than the tenon is long (the tenon should not bottom out). That also provides a place for excess glue to go.

I mostly use epoxy on chairs because I believe it's the strongest glue, but if you use PVA, the same techniques will work.

But since you're going to finish with lacquer, if you do get any squeeze out, use a knife to cut it off (once it sets), then put shellac back on with a rag, then shoot the lacquer. If you're careful no one will ever notice, once the cherry ages back.

Mike

[I don't pre-age cherry before assembly. I wait until after I get it all together.]

denis tuomey
04-20-2012, 12:09 PM
I prefer to use a PVA glue, but from what I've read, epoxy is better at filling gaps. Some of my joints are not real snugg and some that are still have gaps. Due to numerous pieces and vertical/horizontal junctions I figure it would be easier to apply the BLO w/the chair apart, then dry fit and spray the shellac to see how it goes and gain some experience on the first one. If I do ok I will do the glue up and then spray the shellac and laquer.