PDA

View Full Version : fixing the bottom

charlie knighton
04-19-2012, 5:32 PM
i do not often hollow from the bottom, and its done, so i need to make the best of it, i used my 1/8 parting tool to cut off the bottom, i returned the bottom to make it line up, i had a build up of ca glue, and it came apart, after sanding the ca glue off, i have maybe at least 1/16 gap, glued with titebond this time, thats a lot to sand and its real thin at the joint from returning it, looking for suggestion on this southwest wedding vase

this has definetly been a learning experience

Robert McGowen
04-19-2012, 6:27 PM
You will probably get several responses, but I would do it a little differently. Hollow the vase through the bottom without parting anything off. This will keep the original form and shape. Start the hollowing and after you get a bit hollowed, cut a rabbet around the inside of the bottom. Finish the hollowing. Next, turn a disc of wood the size of your opening and simply glue it in with a few drops of glue. I would use a disc so that the grain orientation was the same as that of the vase. Lightly cut or sand the disc flush with the bottom of the vase and you should be all set. YMMV

Charles Bruno
04-19-2012, 7:01 PM
How about inlay? Some turquoise or copper would keep the southwest look.

charlie knighton
04-19-2012, 10:06 PM
thanks Robert and Charles, things to ponder.

Duff Bement
04-20-2012, 8:49 AM
You might want to try recutting the bottom at the joint with a taper like wine cork. You end up with more glue area and the grain still matches very close. Hope this helps.

charlie knighton
04-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Duff, i first turned the bottom thickness to about 3/8 but after redoing its about 1/8 to 3/16, not much to taper, but the next one of these bottom hollowing sounds like a good idea, thanks for your comment.