PDA

View Full Version : winter desk project

John Piwaron
03-29-2005, 9:05 AM
The attached are photos of a desk I built over the winter. Solid cherry for the desk, the drawers are solid hard maple including the bottoms. The bottoms are 1/2" thick. I used the same panel raiser as I used on the drawer box around the edges to get them to fit into 1/4" slot in the drawer sides. Each bottom can expand/contract since I slid them in from the end and retain them with a screw in a slot. The finish is 4 wipe on coats of Waterlox.

You might remember this desk from a FWW article of a year or two ago. I changed it in that I like raised panels and I had to lower the keyboard tray since I use a Microsoft Natural keyboard which is a little higher than a straight keyboard.

It wasn't always easy to find cherry with no sapwood in SE Wisconsin.

Mark Patoka
03-29-2005, 9:41 AM
Very nice looking and you picked out the cherry very well. Just wait until it starts to age and darken with time. Very sharp!

Jim W. White
03-29-2005, 9:45 AM
Outstanding work and the cherry looks awesome! That peice will undoubtedly be passed on through many generations; I wonder how much our computer will change in the timeframe that this desk will be used?! :o

Jim Becker
03-29-2005, 9:53 AM
Outstanding, John! I'm a cherry-o-holic and this project is just grand!

lou sansone
03-29-2005, 10:16 AM
excellent job with fitting the drawer and doors. that is not easy to get it to look as nice as you have done. what is the next project ?

regards
lou

John Renzetti
03-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Nice job John and ditto what Lou said about fitting the drawers and doors.
Whose hardware did you you for the pullout and the doors and drawers.
take care,
John

Jeff Sudmeier
03-29-2005, 10:28 AM
John, that really looks great! I really like the "drop down" drawer front to hide the keyboard, nice touch!

Jason Tuinstra
03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
John, you did a great job on this one. Is there any such thing as bad cherry though? Hmmm, I never thought about that :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2005, 11:20 AM
Excellent work John!

John Piwaron
03-29-2005, 12:11 PM
The next project is to learn to use my lathe. I was thinking about that birdhouse I just saw on Woodworking Techniques. How hard could it be? (famous last words)

The drawer hardware is Accuride full extension slides. Black (obviously)

The hinges on the door are polished cast brass I got at Rockler.

Woodcraft certainly made a bunch of money from me building this. Even though I think (and LOML concurs) I have a lot of tools, there always seems to be *something* I need to perform some aspect of the work.

John Piwaron
03-29-2005, 12:13 PM
One other thing - there were no "do overs" on this project. Every piece was right immediately. Some trimming, sure, but nothing had to be remade.

Now that I've said that, I'm sure my next 5 projects will need to be done twice each.

Ernie Hobbs
03-29-2005, 3:22 PM
Looks Great! It would be perfect for my office.

Robby Phelps
03-29-2005, 4:14 PM
Beautiful work John. Excellent execution. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

Ken Shoemaker
03-29-2005, 7:48 PM
Beautiful design, And the cherry was a great choice. You did well.. Best of luck with the next project.

Dan Forman
03-29-2005, 9:20 PM
Fabulous in all respects. I will be making a desk at some point, hope it will turn out this well.

Dan

John Miliunas
03-29-2005, 11:24 PM
Fine, so I'm a bit biased toward Cherry!:D But you done a fantastic job with it, John! Nice layout and very clean looking. Good job!:D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
03-30-2005, 12:06 AM
John, nice job! I love Cherry also. Good pics!