PDA

View Full Version : Will this work???

Joe Kieve
04-19-2012, 8:31 AM
I don't have a dust collection system and CA glue tears me up. I mainly do pens and have a cartridge type respirator but it's uncomfortable, especially wearing glasses and a faceshield.
I'm thinking about getting a bathroom vent fan, around $30 at Lowes, and adapting it to my midi lathe and venting through a window. Will this work to exhaust the CA fumes? Please tell me it will....I gotta do something.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions/comments.

Joe

John Keeton
04-19-2012, 8:34 AM
Joe, don't you have a box fan or some other stand alone fan sitting around? Just place it so it blows across your work and out the window - big help with fumes!

Joe Kieve
04-19-2012, 8:40 AM
John....thanks for your quick reply. I do have a box fan, in the window right in front of my lathe. My shop is heated and air conditioned and I was afraid it would suck out the heat and a/c....but I'm willing to try anything at this point.

Thanks,
joe

John Keeton
04-19-2012, 9:03 AM
Joe, I don't use CA much, and my shop doesn't have AC. I have found that having a fan blowing my dust and fumes out the window is very helpful nearly all summer and it provides air movement that makes summer quite bearable. But, on the other hand, I ain't in Georgia!!!:D AC might be pretty nice there!

Rob Price
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
I do use my DC right behind my lathe- I ran a new conduit just for the lathe. Before you get too far down the vortex figure out some kind of dust collection for sanding purposes. Sanding with the lathe running generates a lot of dust quickly, and spins it all up into the air. Even if you have a respirator, everything in the shop, including you, is getting covered in fine dust. As someone who's not that old to woodworking, I'm already developing allergies to wood dust, specifically walnut which happens to be my favorite wood to work with.

EDIT: Deleted other comments, I thought I clicked on a different thread. Sorry.

Jamie Donaldson
04-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Joe, a small box type fan blowing along the axis of the lathe will be better than nothing to blow the fumes away from your face. This would alleviate some of the immediate area fuming problems, but they will still be lingering in the shop air.

Jim Burr
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
+1 on the fan...I use mine everyday. But...do not stop using your respirator! Since the exothermic reaction CA creates releases VOC's you are gonna fry your lungs. That mental picture has always made my protective gear much more comfortable.

Jason Ritchie
04-19-2012, 3:20 PM
My head tends to sweat a lot when I turn... I dunno why... it just does. What I did was get 2 old 120mm computer fans I had laying around and mount them on a board with appropriately sized cutouts over my head to help cool me down. The way I had to mount it caused it to angle slightly torward my lathe and dust collector opening and when I started using this I notice that it blew any dust or fumes in the air right into the the dust collector. This little setup has been working great for me so far. The fans are cheap and can be found on ebay. I used a small 11 volt wall wort to power the fans. I can't remember where the wall wort came from.. probably from an old cell phone or something. Those can also be found on ebay and Radio Shack for cheap as well.

Jim Underwood
04-19-2012, 4:52 PM
Crap. I just threw one of those wall converter things away. Figured I'd never use it.

I use a personal fan for the fumes. Had to. Was really messing me up. I also turn on my exhaust fan which is a salvaged forced air blower out of my old heat pump system. That pretty much clears the air...

Paul Williams
04-19-2012, 5:45 PM
The fan sitting in the window exhausting the fumes does not appear to work as well as the fan sitting on the other side of my work and blowing towards the open window (closed in the winter).

Bernie Weishapl
04-19-2012, 5:55 PM
Joe I quit using CA for that very reason. I don't have windows in my shop. I now use General Finishes Woodturners finish for my pens. No fumes and I think it is a better finish.

Rick Markham
04-20-2012, 1:47 AM
The one piece I've used CA on made for an unenjoyable experience, I hope you find a solution. That thin stuff is wicked on your eyes too

Michelle Rich
04-20-2012, 8:43 AM
CA is a toxic dangerous product. Sending fumes outside might help at the moment for you, but what about the folks outside? fumes will get them. They can also roll right back inside another window in your house. To me, the toxicity is a reason to use another product.