PDA

View Full Version : Flatten Corian router table top

Michael Mayo
04-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Well I finally got my MasterLift II and got right to installing it in my Corian table top. I was having a ton of trouble getting the lift plate to level off with the table top after routing the opening. I also ordered the plate opening template from Incra and it worked quite well once I figured out how to properly use my router handheld to cut the opening. I cut the depth a little deeper than the plate thickness as the bit I had was maxed out depth wise and still wasn't deep enough. So I swapped the bearing onto a similar bit with a longer cutting length and was able to cut the opening about 1/8" deeper. So I started leveling the plate according to the instructions but it just wasn't cooperating and frustrating me to no end. That was last night and I gave up after 2 hours messing with it. So i went back out tonight fresh and with more patience and figured out that the Corian that I thought was flat is not. I did get the plate leveled well enough to be usable but I don't like "good enough" if you know what i mean. So how do i go about flattening the Corian? The table is 36" X 24" and my thought was to se some type of router sled and flatten it that way. But I do not have a router sled nor have i ever made one and if i do make one does anyone have plans for a relatively easy to fabricate sled? Also once I have a sled what other considerations are there to make sure that the tabletop actually comes out flat?

I assume I would need to setup a table that is dead level to set the sled up on? Is there any other gotchas that i should be aware of before diving in? The lift is super nice and i can't wait to finish this project so i can start using the table. I still have to make the fence and install the t-track runners for the fence that I ordered from Peachtree. The t-track is pretty awesome stuff, I ordered the standard miter track along with the t-bar track that rides inside of the standard miter track and it slides some smoothly you wouldn't believe it. The t-bar track also fits like a glove into my Rigid TS3650 miter channels so i am going to order some more of the t-bat track and replace the purpleheart runners on my TS Sled with the t-bar runners.

Bill Huber
04-18-2012, 11:35 PM
Does the table have a crown to it or does it have a wave to it?

Maybe you could shim the table supports and get it flat.

Mike Nguyen
04-19-2012, 1:00 AM
I had the same problem with my corian table saw extension for the router. Mine is 27x40 glued to 3/4" plywood. I used a #5 plane and flatten the corian with no problem. Just make sure your plane take very fine shaving.

Mike

Michael Mayo
04-19-2012, 7:43 AM
I also glued mine to 3/4" BB and it seems to be wavy more than crowned or dished. Another words inconsistent across its face. It is higher than the plate in the middle and almost level on the ends of the plate. I have a #5 plane but have been unsuccessful at getting it to shave properly. No amount of adjusting and/or tweaking of the plane has yielded positive results. I think the plane is just no good. It is a later model Bailey I got off of CL for $20 and I have cleaned it up. I sharpened the blade/iron and lapped the sole but it still refuses to take light shavings. I may see if there is a cabinet shop nearby me that has a big drum sander I can run it. through.