PDA

View Full Version : Made from an old hollow cherry tree trunk

Breck Whitworth
04-18-2012, 10:12 PM
230024230025These were made from the trunk of an old hollow cherry tree that I cut down primarily for firewood. When I got my new Lathe I pulled out the few larger pieces that had been painted with latex paint on the ends. At the time I didn't have any anchor seal so I just used what I had. It just goes to show latex paint may not be the best, but it will work. A year later I turned these from the wood pile. I named this one "The Jupiter Bowl" because I could see the swirling gas clouds in the grain patterns. I also could see the great red spot so it just made sense to this old science teacher to call it the Jupiter Bowl.( 8-1/2" x 5") The shallow cherry bowl was made from the same trunk wood it is 11" x 2-1/2" There was so much happening with the grain I just wanted to let people see them. I am new to this forum so here goes. All comments are welcome.230023

Ted Calver
04-18-2012, 10:17 PM
Breck, These are beauties! What did you use for the finish?

Jim Burr
04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Welcome Breck! Beautiful work...glad you save it from the firewood pile!

Jon McElwain
04-18-2012, 10:22 PM
Breck,

Welcome to the creek! Those are some fine looking bowls you made. I see the Jupiter gas swirls you are talking about, and like you said there really is a lot going on in the grain.

Is the third photo a profile shot of the bowl in the second photo? The shallow bowl is my favorite, I am sure it will serve for many years.

Jon

Thomas Canfield
04-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the Creek. It looks like you may have a new lathe, but some old skills. Those are excellent pieces. There is a lot of wood grain action in the wood and the high gloss finish shows it well. You did not mention your finish, and I would like to know what finish and polish system you used.

Baxter Smith
04-18-2012, 10:26 PM
From one old science teacher to another, welcome to this forum and thanks for posting these Breck! Both wood and shapes are beautiful!

Breck Whitworth
04-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Ted I sanded to 600 grit then polymerized tung oil sealer, then polymerized tung oil high gloss, then I went through the beal buffing system. I also added a light coat of Ren. wax over the carnuba for finger prints. May not make too much sense, but it works.

Breck Whitworth
04-18-2012, 10:35 PM
Jon, yes it is a profile shot of the Jupiter bowl

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2012, 10:36 PM
Breck - beautiful work! Love the grain!

Welcome to the Creek! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 10:53 PM
I like these .........beautiful grain..........nice work Breck!

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2012, 11:34 PM
Welcome Breck to SMC. Really nice looking pieces and finish looks great.

Kathy Marshall
04-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Beautiful pieces Breck! Love the grain in that wood.

John Keeton
04-19-2012, 7:09 AM
Another big welcome, Breck!! That is some beautiful cherry - great color and grain, and some nice work, too. Glad to have you a part of the forum and we look forward to seeing more of your work.

charlie knighton
04-19-2012, 8:07 AM
very nice, welcome

Jerry Rhoads
04-19-2012, 9:42 AM
Very beautifull piece Breck. Love Cherry

Jason Ritchie
04-19-2012, 9:46 AM
Welcome to the creek! Very nice bowl! I love the shape and the grain of the wood.

Tim Rinehart
04-19-2012, 11:02 AM
I'll echo what others have said...very nice work indeed. You really lucked out with the sealing keeping that stuff from cracking, and the grain is gorgeous! I too look forward to seeing more of your work!

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2012, 11:31 AM
Those are great looking pieces. I am a bit confused (no surprises there!) Are we looking at three different pieces? The one in the third pic looks like the one in the second pic only upside down. But then I noticed that the one in the third pic has a raised lip. Either way, they look great and the wood is spectacular!

Breck Whitworth
04-19-2012, 1:02 PM
David the third pic is a profile of the Jupiter Bowl so people could see why I named it so. Two pic's of the same bowl and one of the shallow bowl. Thanks for all the kind comments from everybody. I feel very blessed that the Lord gave me these beautiful pieces of wood and preserved it for me in spite of me not really doing what I should have. If I had only known I would be getting my new dream lathe I would have saved more large pieces instead of cutting it up into smaller pieces. Oh well I'm not complaining!
Breck