PDA

View Full Version : Gallery Whack-A-Mole

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2012, 6:41 PM
The now viral story of the demise of the famous dleMano Gallery has illuminated what can only be described as a "belly punch" to the "art turning world". But there are many other galleries and there is suddenly a huge hole in "our side" of the market. delMano has long been considered the "go to" gallery for artistic turned pieces. Many other galleries might have been interested in this kind of work had they not had the feeling that delMano had a "lock" on the market. That is suddenly no longer the case. I am finding that galleries which, only a few weeks ago would respond with "That's the kind of stuff that should be in delMano..." are now responding with "That's beautiful work... lets get together and work something out."

There is that old saying that every cloud has a silver lining and I am finding that this one is no exception. I have been contacting galleries in my area and meeting with a much more receptive attitude that I was getting even a short while ago. We have to assume that these galleries are fully aware of the collapse of the delMano gallery and realize that it creates an opportunity for them to capture a piece of a market that they had previously thought of as "locked up".

I just got an invitation to present my work at a very highly respected gallery that, several months ago was not interested enough to even reply to an email. I will be meeting with them next week and I am hopeful that there will be some "salve" here to alleviate the sting of the recent delMano fiasco. Needless to say, I will be looking out for the "usual" pitfalls!

Steve Schlumpf
04-18-2012, 6:55 PM
David - I wish you only the best going forward! Your art deserves the spotlight!!

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 7:05 PM
"Break a leg" ....DD! ;)

Ken Glass
04-18-2012, 7:11 PM
David,
This is exciting news for you and your work. I hope it becomes a great partnership for you both. Does anyone know what really happened to cause the Delmano Gallery to close? Never mind, I just read the post by Roger Chandler.

charlie knighton
04-18-2012, 7:12 PM
good luck....chin up......go for it

Jim Underwood
04-18-2012, 7:22 PM
Glad to hear it David. Despite my teasing about your "Ort onna stick", I think you do some great work. And I hope your future gallery relationships make up for the treatment you and your art suffered in the past.

Just... be careful.

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2012, 7:26 PM
"...be careful...."

Umm, yes.... indeed. One thing I was advised about by a "knowledgeable person" is that it's much better to deal with galleries that are located within a reasonable distance. Makes it a lot easier to keep tabs on your stuff!

PS This was not intended to be a "gloat" but more of an encouraging word...

John Keeton
04-18-2012, 7:55 PM
David, my guess is the demise of delMano will have far reaching impact within a certain market segment - more so in your area. Hopefully, all of this does work to the benefit of you and others similarly situated. Most areas in the country do not have galleries dedicated totally to wood turned art, and I am not sure what effect, if any, this will have for those venues.

Keep us posted on what comes of this for you!

Jim Underwood
04-18-2012, 11:16 PM
It will certainly be interesting to watch what happens in the "art turning world" now... Perhaps something refined will rise from the ashes...

Bernie Weishapl
04-18-2012, 11:32 PM
Congrats DD. Your art deserves it. I agree be careful and do your homework.

Don Alexander
04-18-2012, 11:55 PM
all the best to you , DD your work definitely deserves to be seen

Rick Markham
04-19-2012, 2:42 AM
Congrats David!!! I just read that thread... eye opening for sure. I've been trying to brainstorm a way for us, as turners, to form an artisan network to self promote and sell our work. Maybe DelMano closing is an opportunity for us as artists to change how our side of the industry works! I think we have more than enough smart folks among us that it's possible. It would be interesting to have an artisan based/ run virtual super gallery. I've entertained this idea for quite some time, but the logistics of it I haven't figured out, maybe me mentioning it will spark someone with a simple clever solution.

Michelle Rich
04-19-2012, 6:41 AM
keep your wits about you & good luck...

Tim Rinehart
04-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Good luck with your upcoming meeting DD, you definitely deserve a spot among other currently respected turners for the work you've done and your ability to translate into a 'series' vision, which many of us (self included) don't do. I think this is something that requires a certain discipline and to me at least, shows well for gallery collections. Not to ever suggest anyone make the same thing twice, as each of your amphora pieces, for example, always seemed to have a little 'twist' on the last one, beside just the variation in wood.
Look forward to hearing your learning experience along the way, and sharing with us as you do.
Oh...the read on DM closing in WoW is an interesting one, and puts things in perspective that you should never take for granted, but may have.

Mike Cruz
04-19-2012, 12:44 PM
David...I might be one of the only ones, but don't worry, at least one person actually read your Whack-a-mole thread correctly. I totally read it as a different and positive perspective on the gallery closing. Everyone has seemed understandably quite somber about it. But your thread seemed to say "Hey, look on the bright side...". But people saw it as you gloating about being in a lot more galleries. Odd how so many misread that. I think people see one person's response, and bandwagon onto that...rather than actually reading, understanding, and making an effort to comprehend the OP's intentions.

Look on the bright side, David...at least one person "heard" you. ;) Oh, and congrats (to you AND all the other artistic turners out there that can benefit from the market opening up) on being able to expand into other galleries, reach more people, and hopefully sell more pieces.

Rick Markham
04-19-2012, 2:23 PM
Mike, Some of us got it too ;) I think the opportunities, may be bigger than what the current "gallery" industry has to offer. Nothing wrong with some shameless self-promotion on our part as artists, honestly it would be to our advantage IMHO. Who better to protect the "ethics" of our art form than us? I will be visiting galleries as soon as the school year is up, and I am thankful for having read that thread, and for people being honest about their experiences. I think it's fantastic that it's opened up the market in David's area, and hopefully to a small degree everywhere.

I agree whole heartedly it's a silver lining, and from the sound of it, should have happened quite some time ago. I think most of the posters read it correctly, but this isn't a new or unheard of practice. It's hard not to be skeptical.

Mike Cruz
04-19-2012, 2:52 PM
Rick, I understand (or at least think I do) what you are saying. But my point was rather that DD's post, as I read it, was that a monopoly has ended, and new oportunities are open...and I think he meant for everyone, not necessarily himself (though he was using himself as an example). How many people seemed to take it was...as a gloat. Hence the "good luck" wishes and "be careful" warnings. I think DD will be the first to admit that the idea of putting pieces in multiple galleries isn't novel. I think he was just pointing out the positive side of what happened (for all to take advantage of) rather than dwelling on the somber side of a monumental gallery's era ending.

And of the 15 replies to this thread, 7 seemed to be addressing the OP in a misread manner (of the other 8, you posted twice, I did once, DD reposted, and at least one other person twice). That was the meaning of my post... Sometimes when you get misread, you regret posting to begin with. And you know you're in a hole you can't dig out of, so you might be think twice about posting a personal view in the future...which I don't think any of us wants.

Roger Chandler
04-19-2012, 3:59 PM
Not meaning to hijack this thread at all, but from what I have seen, there is a latent desire among a lot of people to want things turned from wood..........just this bad economy where not too many have much disposable income, and makes for a tight situation when you have artists depending on income from turning and its related activities.

I think David was speaking to opportunities as well..........also Rick in his comments about trying to create new opportunities with a super gallery on the web..........if that could be pulled off, then perhaps a new era could emerge for all turners who desire to make some thing to produce some income.

I find when folks see things in person, they admire them, and if they can feel comfortable with the cost of the item, they will turn loose of some funds...........provided they really would like to have a turned item.

Rick Markham
04-19-2012, 4:10 PM
I understand Mike, and I am pretty sure we are largely on the same page. :) I also realize that it wasn't a gloat on David's part, (he does still deserve the congrats) and hopefully it will be a big opportunity for lots of other turners. In my short experience in life change is often a good thing. I threw in my opinion because now is a pretty good opportunity for us as turners to affect a change if we wanted to. My intention wasn't to lessen or minimize anyone's opinions. Merely to hopefully spark some thought in other's in hopes that someone has a revolutionary idea.

Hey there's still a ton (Probably more like 8 tons) of this tree over here in my yard I keep waiting for you to show up! LOL

Jim Underwood
04-19-2012, 4:19 PM
I don't see why the two views have to be mutually exclusive... Can't I wish David good fortune at the same time I recognize the change in the gallery situation?

Mike Cruz
04-19-2012, 4:36 PM
Rick, it's all good. And IIRC, I wasn't aiming my post at you...rather a general thought about how "most" people were reacting to the thread. And I think your idea is a fantastic one! I wouldn't likely be the type to be on that website (not anytime soon, at least...lot of growing and learning yet), but I think ya'll oughtta jump on it.

Jim, of course you can, and he deserves it... It just seemed like his point was missed. The point of his OP was not as a gloat, rather to look at the sunny side. Hey, when you MEAN to gloat, there's nothing like attaboys! But when people don't acknowledge the point of the thread, and comment on a secondary message within the thread, the purpose of stating the point (starting the thread) seems to get lost and, well, pointless. AND when the point is not to gloat, and you are perceived to be gloating, it simply doesn't give you the warm and fuzzies.

I really didn't mean to start a big discussion. Just pointing out what I saw...

Jim Underwood
04-19-2012, 4:44 PM
It could be that his backstory affected my response... That thread on the WoW website was really intense. And several folks, including David, were quite candid about their bad experience. I was glad to see opportunities opening up, but sure don't want to see the bad stuff happen again... After all, one day I might aspire to place things in a gallery- although those tales sure make me cautious. I may just stick to selling my work myself. Or at the very least, get my wife to market things for me. Nothing gets past that gal.. she asks the same hard questions that David's wife asked...

Rick Markham
04-19-2012, 5:06 PM
It's all good Mike! :)

Jim, I don't think they are mutually exclusive, I think though there is a risk of it being a polarizing element amongst turners, but it doesn't have to be.

Roger, I agree with that there is something about being able to see the piece in person. I'm currently building a studio/gallery in my home for that very reason. It might be an interesting twist to create home galleries, and through the network share each other's work within our own galleries. That requires a good deal of trust in your fellow turner, but if there was a way to link/track everything via the web. I don't know, like I mentioned it's a perplexing idea. Besides, I would jump at the opportunity to be able to touch and see y'all's work in person.

Ted Calver
04-19-2012, 7:21 PM
...I just got an invitation to present my work at a very highly respected gallery that, several months ago was not interested enough to even reply to an email. ...

I say ignore the invitation. The market has changed. Why work with someone like that??

David DeCristoforo
04-19-2012, 8:33 PM
Woah there, Buckos! Congrats are premature. Just have an appointment to show them some stuff. No idea yet about terms, sales potential or even if they will accept once they see the stuff "in the flesh". All I'm saying here is that doors are opening that were on rusty hinges a short while ago.

"I say ignore the invitation...."

I have a meeting with the gallery owner this weekend. I will seriously take that suggestion under consideration on my way there.