PDA

View Full Version : What to Do?

Ken Glass
04-18-2012, 5:56 PM
Hey All,
I need some advice? Here is a piece that I turned from a small Brown Mallee Burl Cap I had laying around the shop for a year or so. I have been thinking about my show this fall and needed some new ideas. It is about 13" overall and about 5" in diameter. I plan to dye the wood as it is rather lackluster in its present state. I hollowed out the base of the burl to accommodate the pedestal. As I was fitting it, I realized I could cock the turning (flower pedal) and face it as it was following the sun. I then turned a Sta-min / pistol out of Holly and soaked it and clamped it so it would also bend toward the sun, as shown. My dilemma is I have no idea what color and what dye to use. I want it to show all the burl figure and not cover the figure too much. I also want it to look realistic in its appearance. I have already named it even though I never name turnings. Name: "Spring Emerges". Not very original, but that was what I came up with. Anyway, I need some good suggestions from those of you that have some experience dying pieces. Note: I plan to Ebonize the pedestal. Another note: The pedestal is not refined as of yet for flow into the petal.

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2012, 7:19 PM
This is very a sweet piece, Ken! One of my earlier attempts was very similar to this and here's how I handled coloring it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?146741-Another-tall-skinny-thing&highlight=

It worked out pretty well and was the first piece I actually sold. I always intended to make more pieces in this style but I keep getting side tracked!

Ken Glass
04-18-2012, 7:28 PM
David,
Thanks. Red is always a good color for flowers and I really like the one you did that you gave reference too.

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2012, 7:39 PM
"Red is always a good color for flowers..."

I was not really trying to suggest the color as much as the idea of only coloring the inside of the "flower", allowing the outside to remain the natural wood tone. FWIW, I like your "flower" better!

Scott Hackler
04-18-2012, 8:16 PM
Very neat Ken. I don't know how I feel about the addition of the black bit, but with the "flower" darkened up a bit with dye, I might like that. I do wonder how well Mallee will actually take dye. That stuff is like concrete, but SOOOOOO beautiful. I always liked an oil finish on Mallee.

Make sure and let us see the final piece.

Ken Glass
04-18-2012, 8:30 PM
Scott,
I also wondered about Mallee taking dye or stain. If I try and it doesn't work well, then I may ruin a turning, but hey, Iv'e ruined my share of turnings in the past as well.

Jon McElwain
04-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Scott,
I also wondered about Mallee taking dye or stain. If I try and it doesn't work well, then I may ruin a turning, but hey, Iv'e ruined my share of turnings in the past as well.

This was my first thought. It would look great with a bright color like yellow, orange, or red, but I would definitely test the dye on some scrap before making a decision. You know, we all have a bunch of scrap mallee burl cap laying around right?:p You may give some thought to the stem color. Ebonizing may not look as natural as brown??

By the way, I love the concept. Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Jon