PDA

View Full Version : Another interesting effect for painted aluminum

Dee Gallo
04-18-2012, 4:10 PM
I was looking for a way to make another color with my two tone technique for painting aluminum cake pans, because the only colored primers I have are boring: black, white, rust and grey. So here, I put one layer of black primer and then one layer of hammered copper spray paint. Then, I rastered the design using 100 sp and 50 power. This ate through the primer unevenly for some reason... it had not done that before, but then again Bill Neal just realigned and leveled my laser so it is cooking like never before. But I digress.

I made another test piece and this time I put two layers of primer and two layers of color, then rastered at 100 sp and 40 power. This gave me the effect I wanted, a brown tone nice and even.

These two pics show the results, but the uneven grey-black you see is not really that uneven, it's the flash from the camera reflecting the aluminum color. It actually looks nice, as in aged antique-like. So I now have two effects!

cheers, dee

Martin Boekers
04-18-2012, 6:04 PM
Nice work Dee! Any tricks to get the "hammered effect" so pronounced?
I use it on black acrylic all the time, but have never got quite the effect
you have.

Dee Gallo
04-18-2012, 6:22 PM
Thanks Martin, the hammered effect is best if you put down the first coat smoothly and then really lay down the second coat heavily. It will flow and make the hammered effect by itself. This is not how you normally apply spray paint, but it works well for this kind.

Chuck Stone
04-18-2012, 6:48 PM
that looks great.. I know what you mean about the primer though. Too bad they
didn't sell it in something other than aerosol cans so you could tint it yourself
and airbrush..

Patrick Richard
04-18-2012, 7:19 PM
Pretty nice indeed. Congratulations.

Ernie Balch
04-18-2012, 7:39 PM
very rich looking, I like it.

ernie

Dee Gallo
04-18-2012, 9:16 PM
For those who did not see it in previous threads, this is what the rusty red primer looks like with blue car paint. What I found out is that the laser will burn through the paint but leave the primer. So if you don't want just the silver color of the metal, you can have some choices.

Jiten Patel
04-19-2012, 6:22 AM
Really nice Dee. Love your work. Think the final effect looks really nice, and very rustic looking. I find you don't always need a perfect finish for things to look really nice (adds to the effect).

Keith Outten
04-19-2012, 7:36 AM
Very nice Dee,

I have been working on a large glass panel the last few days, we used Rustoleum Copper Hammer paint to make the text pop. We experimented with a couple different primer coats which made subtle changes to the final color of the Copper. The glass was too large for our laser engraver so we took it to Norva Plastics and used their 4 by 8 foot Kern laser to cut a very heavy mask that we installed. I have a few pictures of the job that I will share in another thread later....today is the day we install the glass panel :)

Mike Null
04-19-2012, 8:26 AM
Dee

Another artistic piece and neat concept. You are the Maestro.

Khalid Nazim
04-19-2012, 8:55 AM
This is fantastic Dee - as always. Really inspirational.