PDA

View Full Version : 16" J/P Combo

Ralph Butts
04-18-2012, 3:01 PM
Hello all,
I am looking at selling my current jointer G0500 with spiral head and planer G0453 (also with spiral head). I am space challenged and after doing some research think that I could get along just fine with a J/P combo machine of good quality. I have narrowed my searches down to two machines the Hammer A3-41 and the Mini Max FS41 Classic. I am hoping that someone who owns either one of these machines will be able to chime in and provide me with what they like and don't like about the machines and the customer service during and after the purchase. I have heard conflicting opinions on whether the addition of a Byrd head on either one of these machines is worth the money since the stock head and knives provide a very good finish cut. I really like the one piece table raising mechanism of the Hammer as this theoretically does away with the issue of fence to table alignment. On the other hand is this even an issue on the MM even though the tables are raised independently. Either way I think either one of these machines will be a quality upgrade for me. However spending that kind of money I am hoping to make the best informed purchase that I can. Thanks up front for the help.

Van Huskey
04-18-2012, 3:26 PM
I don't own either but have shopped both extensively and been hands on with both. My choice would be the Hammer mainly due to changeover ease and though it is hard to explain it feels better engineered as you work with it. The MM seems bulkier and heavier, though they are pretty close in weight. I know that is somewhat vague but it is hard to explain.

Re the Byrd head. If I get one of these (still up in the air over a J/P or a 12" jointer 15-18" planer) I will get a Byrd head in the end I am convinced they will save money but it is a long recoupment period. I also like to work with wild grain so there is one less issue to worry about. There is no question the straight knives work well on these machine and changing them is a breeze. The way I look at it is you almost never see anyone moving from Byrd to straight knives but you see plenty of people switching a straight head out for a Byrd (even on these type of machines) and you rarely see anyone lamenting that move. The initial cost increase is $800 and over the life of the machine you will almost certainly save money. However, the difference in finish between the helical head and straight knives on these machines is less than when you are compairing knives to helical on most of todays Asian machines. So I guess the more knarly the grain you work with and the more wood you put through the machine the happier you will probably be with the extra upfront cost of the helical head.

In the end I don't think you can go wrong with either machine or any of the cutter heads they come with.

Jeff Monson
04-18-2012, 3:43 PM
I own a A3-31, and I can comment on the table issue. Mine has the dual tables, you have to move the machine further away from the wall, plus I always end up removing the fence. I have seen the new style A3-31 with the single raising table and it is MUCH nicer. That would be a deal breaker alone IMO. The A3-41 is basically the same machine with more capacity. As far as customer service goes, Felder has been nothing less than superb for myself. I have no complaints on the finish either, I have owned a bryd head planer and now the striaght knife Hammer. While being louder, I really dont notice any difference in finish quality, except on figured wood. Go with the A3-41, its the most advanced machine for the money.

Ralph Butts
04-19-2012, 10:15 PM
Jeff, Van thanks to both of you for your input. The folks at Hammer have set me up with a relatively local customer that is very willing to let me get up close and personal with his A3-41. I really like the single table lifting mechanism on the new Hammer's. I still not sure about the cutter (knife or Byrd) but that's a nice problem to have to make a decision on.

David Hawxhurst
04-19-2012, 11:07 PM
take some wood with you so you can use the machine first hand.

Rod Sheridan
04-20-2012, 8:17 AM
I have the A3-31 (31cm) machine and I really like it.

I haven't felt the need for a carbide head, however if you want, I believe you can order it with a carbide head.

Regards, Rod.

Robert LaPlaca
04-20-2012, 8:51 PM
I have a 2004 vintage MM FS41 Elite, which looks like it has more in common with the current Technomax machine than with the current Classic or Elite machines.. I have one piece table for change overs.. My tables are parallelogram also, although I have a three knive Tersa head.. I love the machine, best purchase I ever made really can not believe you could go too wrong with any of the euro machines..

I bought my machine from a different company (?) that was based in Austin Tx.. I have purchased upgrades and parts from SCMI in Atlanta, so far so good. The Tersa head works great for the woods I use,mostly walnut, cherry, mahogany and popular.. I can tell you as far as Tersa knives the knive to get is M42, for get the chrome or HSS knives..Also the best upgrade your can get no matter who's machine you buy is a euro guard. The euro guard does a better job protecting your fingers and makes it much easier to face wide boards..

Hope this helps and good luck