PDA

View Full Version : Del Mano Gallery .......out of business?

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 10:52 AM
I read a post on WOW where a poster was in L.A. yesterday and went by the Del Mano gallery, and it is empty and closed..................:confused::confused::confu sed:

Jim Underwood also posted in the thread. Just wondering if anyone has info...........I went to their website and at least the opening page did not say anything about being closed.

Rich Greinert
04-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Here is a link to some info.

http://collectorsofwoodart.org/news/detail/271

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that link, Rich...........it looks as if they will continue as an internet business and not have any retail outlet.

Jim Underwood
04-18-2012, 11:12 AM
Thanks Rich. I sure couldn't find anything else other than his partner, Jan Peters, had passed away in December. I notice they were scheduled to host the 20th Turned Wood - Small Treasures exhibit starting April 28, but it looks like that's not going to happen there... Wonder what's to become of it?

I've always thought of the Del Mano Gallery as the place to be when you "arrived". It's as if a permanent fixture like the Grand Canyon suddenly ceased to exist...

John Keeton
04-18-2012, 11:26 AM
Roger, there is a lengthy thread on WoW regarding this topic that I believe was active a couple weeks ago. You might want to look for that. Pretty extensive discussion among some of the represented artists.

Roger, I sent you the link by PM.

John Beaver
04-18-2012, 11:28 AM
Indeed Del Mano has closed its store.
Due to the economy and other circumstances dating back a while, they are on the verge of filing bankruptcy. The store closed 2 weeks ago, but they will continue to have an online presence as Del Mano Gallery. The current show will be completely virtual.

There was an extensive thread on WoW regarding the entire situation, that I will not get into here, but if you can access it it's an interesting read.

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 2:33 PM
I am a wiser person for reading that thread mentioned by JK and John Beaver............long, tedious, but truly educational for anyone contemplating putting work in a gallery.

Jim Underwood
04-18-2012, 2:44 PM
Can't seem to locate that thread. Someone PM me the link?

Roger Chandler
04-18-2012, 3:06 PM
Can't seem to locate that thread. Someone PM me the link?

PM sent to you Jim.

Jim Underwood
04-18-2012, 3:35 PM
Thanks.

And...

Wow. Just flippin' wow. Unbelievable.

allen thunem
04-18-2012, 4:39 PM
can someone share the link???
please

David DeCristoforo
04-18-2012, 5:27 PM
"...can someone share the link???"

Can't. It's against the rules here to post links to other forums.

The whole thing will make your head hurt anyway...

Dick Wilson
04-18-2012, 5:38 PM
"...can someone share the link???"

Can't. It's against the rules here to post links to other forums.

The whole thing will make your head hurt anyway...

David, I never even started to read the thread so Roger's post prompted me to go back and start reading. I only read probable a page and a half and quit. You'r right, it will give you a headache. What really amazed me more than anything is that so many fellow turners knew long ago what was going on and NOONE sent up a red flag. Sorry you got niped in the whole deal.