PDA

View Full Version : Time to Fes-up gloat, and advice sought.

Dan Forman
03-28-2005, 11:30 PM
I learned about Festools just the other day on the thread here, and low and behold, this Sunday there appeared an add in the paper offering such for sale. I called this morning and am now the owner of one never used A65 plunge circular saw, and 110 inches of track. for which I parted with the sum of $300.

I am considering the dust extractor to go with it, CT22 or 32, and perhaps the new router OF1400 (has 1/2" chuck), and one of the Rotex sanders, either 5 or 6 inch. Any comments or suggestions on these additional items? The router and 5 inch sander are apparently new tools, are offered at $50 off through the end of the month.

One thing that puzzles me, is the apparent limit of 1200 watts for a tool using the auto on/off for the dust extractor. This would seem to disqualify the use of the router or saw, as they each are rated above the 1200 watt limit.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Dan

Mark Singer
03-28-2005, 11:39 PM
Dan,

I have the 55 plunge saw....I think you will like it!

Dave Falkenstein
03-29-2005, 12:59 AM
Congratulations on scoring a great bargain.

One smart way to buy the Festools you mentioned is to get the dust collector and one other tool as a package deal. For example, the CT22 and Rotex RO150 with 100 sheets of abrasive is $695 - saves you $137. Another way to get a deal is to buy at least 3 tools at the same time - 10 percent off. Or 15 percent on 5 or more tools. If you buy both the 5 inch sander and router at the introductory price, you will pay full price for the CT22. Look at various combinations before you commit to get the best set of tools for the best price.

I recently went through the decision on the 5 or 6 inch sander, and decided on the larger sander (RO150) mainly because I have two other 5 inch ROS (not Festool). The larger sander will get the job done faster. And I plan to have that sander for a whole lot of years. Whatever sander you choose, try to stick with one size, if you plan to buy other sanders, since the abrasive is common across the size.

Bob Marino
03-29-2005, 7:01 AM
Dan,

The short answer is yes the CT dust extractor will handle Festool's OF 2000 - a 2000 watt or there abouts router without a problem, so no worries with any of the other tools.

Bob

Frank Pellow
03-29-2005, 7:04 AM
Thats a great deal you got. Congratulations!

I have the 6 inch Rotex sander and the CT22 vac and can highly recommend both of them That combination might make you actually enjoy sanding. The CT22 is big and heavy enough for me -I am glad that I did not purchase the CT32.

I recently puchased the 1400 router but it is waiting in Utah for me to pick it up.

Tyler Howell
03-29-2005, 7:51 AM
Hey Dan Nice Haul,

Welcome to the tool snob club.
I have the CT Mini and it takes everything my 4 Festool treasures can dish out.;)

Jim Becker
03-29-2005, 9:09 AM
Nice score!! I pays to pay attention to the world around you...

Definitely get the vac...it's the heart of the system. I have both the 150/3 and Rotex 150 and love them both; same goes for the routers. Good tools.

The intro deal is nice, but the three or more "combo" price sometimes is better than the intro deal, depending on the combination of tools. Talk to your favorite Festool ISA about that...who for me, happens to be Uncle Bob. ;)

Ron Stefanelli
04-11-2005, 7:57 AM
If it's not too late, get the CT32. Same power and specs as the CT22; but, has onboard storage for hose and adapters. I bought the '22 and wish I had the '32.

Ron

Brian Buckley
04-11-2005, 8:47 AM
Dan,

I have the 22 vac and it handles every thing I through at it with ease. I prefer the 6" sanders over the 5". They are all very good, but the 6" can really take off alot when needed. You will be happy with any Festool product you buy. In my opinion it is head and shoulders above any of the competition.
Give Bob Marino a call, he can answer any questions you might have. He is a first class person to deal with.

Brian

markus shaffer
04-11-2005, 3:08 PM
Wow.. Someone actually sold a Festool?

Never thought I'd hear that one..

I have the same saw and love it.. Wouldn't part with it.. Nice score by the way..

-Markus

Dave Avery
04-11-2005, 8:47 PM
Thats a great deal you got. Congratulations!

I have the 6 inch Rotex sander and the CT22 vac and can highly recommend both of them That combination might make you actually enjoy sanding. The CT22 is big and heavy enough for me -I am glad that I did not purchase the CT32.

I recently puchased the 1400 router but it is waiting in Utah for me to pick it up.

Dan,

I agree with Frank...... CT22 and Rotex 6" are a great combination. Also, I have the OF1400 and like it pretty well, though it's not a quantum leap in quality/performance relative to my Makita RF1101 kit.

The most fun I've had recently is with the big MFT - everything from crosscutting talble tops to cutting veneer to rough size. Absolutely to coolest tool I own. You simply can't go wrong with Festool stuff. Good luck. Dave.

Ken Waag
04-11-2005, 9:41 PM
Dan,

I don't know: lots of differing opinions here, CT22 vs CT32, 5" or 6" sander. Looks like you've just opened up a big can of worms for yourself. Obviously these tools were being sold for a reason and they saw you coming from a mile away. Get out while you can. Being of a helpful nature I'd be willing to get that stuff out of your life and give you your $300 back.

Seriously nice score. I've gotten interested in the festool way and being the cheap sot that I am, have been looking for used. As Markus alluded, you just don't see it out there. I'll probably drag out the old argument that "hey I can always get most of my money back out of it if I need to sell it." I usually fall for that one. (Turns out I'm cheap and easy)

Have fun,
Ken

Dan Forman
04-12-2005, 5:11 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. Think I'm going for the Rotex 125, as I have small hands and wrists, and think the smaller unit will be more comfortable for me to use. I don't think I need the onboard storage for the accessories so will go with the CT22, and still plan on the 1400 router.

Dan