PDA

View Full Version : Newb questions

Steve Busey
04-17-2012, 8:26 PM
Been looking at jumping into the laser pond with a starter system. Been emailing to & fro with ULS & Epilog reps, but can't connect via phone with them from my day job... :(

So maybe you can answer a couple quick questions for me?

Like, I see "air assist" systems listed as options. What are they, what do they do, why do I need them? Can I do any of those functions with my shop compressor?

Similarly with the air blower/exhaust options - do I assume correctly that those are to exhaust the fuems/smoke? What do I need at a minimum to exhaust a system? (I can knock a hole in the outer wall, but trying to determine what I really need here.) Does anyone use a cheaper alternative to the ULS/Epilog blower systems?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom/advice you can share! The creek is an amazing resource!

Bill Cunningham
04-17-2012, 9:48 PM
Steve; virtually all of those questions have been asked, and answered on the forum.. just enter a few keywords in the search function, and you will come up with all the answers you need. Many new folks, just start reading at page 1 and gain a wealth of information that you would never learn anyplace else.. this is what I did when I started here way back when.. As a matter of fact, once you start reading, like a good book, you may not be able to stop..

David Fairfield
04-17-2012, 9:59 PM
Quick answers-- air assist is a flame damper. If you cut acrylic you need it. An airbrush compressor works fine. For the fume extractor, Harbor Freight Tools has what you need for cheap.

Bill has a good idea. Search and browse the forum, fun and educational.

Keith Outten
04-18-2012, 6:32 AM
Steve,

Air and exhaust are both "Must Have" items.

I use my shop compressor to provide air to my laser engraver. Air pressure helps reduce or eliminate flaming when you are vector cutting. It can also provide some protection for your lens depending on the design of the machine.

I use my 1.5 hp shop dust collector as an exhaust system for my laser engraver. Dust collectors generally provide more air than you need for laser engravers, if you already have one it would be an option that can save you a few bucks unless you have a gigantic cyclone system which could be to powerful and possibly a waste of energy.

In the sign shop at CNU we use a Harbor Freight 1 hp dust collector without bags, we blow the discharge directly outside through a dryer vent.

Steve Busey
04-18-2012, 8:19 AM
For the fume extractor, Harbor Freight Tools has what you need for cheap. Bill has a good idea. Search and browse the forum, fun and educational. Thanks David, been searching around, but sometimes the most basic questions are left unasked - nobody wants to look dumb in asking them - except me! ;^} Just poked around HF website, but didn't really see any blowers that might work for an exhaust. Maybe I'm not using the right search keywords. Do you know of any specific items there that suit the bill?

Steve Busey
04-18-2012, 8:22 AM
Steve; virtually all of those questions have been asked, and answered on the forum.. just enter a few keywords in the search function, and you will come up with all the answers you need. . Guilty as charged, Bill! Just trying to jump past a couple basic questions that I couldn't put my finger on through a quick search.

Steve Busey
04-18-2012, 8:28 AM
I use my shop compressor to provide air to my laser engraver. Air pressure helps reduce or eliminate flaming Thanks for the reply, Keith, I could do that. Might give me an excuse to upgrade from my noisy pancake to a quieter oil compressor, too.
I use my 1.5 hp shop dust collector as an exhaust system for my laser engraver. My portable DC doesn't have a port on the output side, goes straight into the two-bagger. I'll keep looking for an alternate method. Is there a general rule-o-thumb on how much CFM to look for? Looks like 650-1250 are ranges avbl from the manufacturers. I imagine with too much, it'll start sucking up the finished parts; too little would cause smoke/fume backup in the unit?

Tony Lenkic
04-18-2012, 8:30 AM
Steve,

For blower search HF site for dust collectors.

Steve Busey
04-18-2012, 8:48 AM
For blower search HF site for dust collectors. Ahh- bullseye! Thanks Tony!

Martin Boekers
04-18-2012, 2:21 PM
You may search under "dee's" posts as I believe she may use a small pump for nail airbrush work cheap and quiet.

What you want to make sure if you use a compressor that it has a water trap. You definitely don't want to be spitting water.

Martin Boekers
04-18-2012, 2:28 PM
Since your new.... I highly recommend starting a bookmark folder for engraving, split up seperate folders for vendors,
techniques, clip art etc. That way you can find things quickly when needed. You Tube has many great videos and they
are free!

Joe Hillmann
04-18-2012, 3:22 PM
Just my opinions here so take them for what they are worth.

Exhaust system, You can not run your laser without some sort of exhaust system hooked up. Everything that you run through your laser will create some type of smoke or residue(even glass which is surprising) and you NEED to get that smoke/residue out of the laser cabinet other wise it will collect on the inside of your machine as well as on your lenses which will very quickly reduce your engraving/cutting ability (some materials will dirty your lenses in seconds if you forget to turn on your exhaust before you start the laser). And if you try doing cutting/engraving with a dirty lens it can cause the smoke to damage your lens or ,if the build up is bad enough, cause heat build up and crack your lens.

Air assist, it blows a stream of air exactly where the laser is working clearing out smoke form the area being cut/engraved. It CAN keep your lens cleaner by blowing the smoke away. When using the laser for cutting it helps by blowing the smoke out of the cut area which reduces charing. The smoke also absorbs the power form the laser, so getting it out of the way with air assist allows you to cut faster. With that said you can run your laser without air assist, and I will say that I do not have air assist on any of my lasers but did a little playing with a homemade air assist and it makes a huge difference. I would suggest getting it if you are buying a new laser.

Both of my Universal lasers say they require 500 cfm at 6 inches of water. When I tested my system (tested at the farthest end of the exhaust system from the blower,I have four lasers connected to the same blower) I came up with about 150-200 cfm at 3.5 inches of water, so I am way below what is suggested by universal and it works ok, If I do a lot of wood cutting in one of the lasers the smell does start to leak out of the cabinet and into the room so I really should have a higher power blower.