PDA

View Full Version : Super Nova 2 weight?

paul vechart
04-17-2012, 5:52 PM
Does anybody know how much a Super Nova 2 chuck weighs in at? I have a Nova G3 and want to get another chuck. Would the SN2 be to heavy or to long for the Delta 46-460 lathe? would it be hard on the bearings? I was thinking down the road if I get a bigger lathe the SN2 would be a good fit.

Thanks,

Paul

Ed Morgano
04-17-2012, 6:11 PM
Paul,
The Super Nova 2 chuck is light and would be no problem for the bearings on you lathe. It weighs 5 1/2 lbs.

Rich Aldrich
04-17-2012, 6:11 PM
The full package weight is 5.5 lbs according to the website. I assume this includes the wrench and all the packaging., so it is probably more like 5 lbs. I really dont think this is too heavy for the Delta. I would think others are using this chuck with the same or similar lathe. Shock loading the bearings by turning something out of round would probably do more damage. Ed posted just before me.

Jim Burr
04-17-2012, 6:18 PM
I'm curious Paul...and this is not an argument...just a wonder...if the centrifugal force move the weight out, why would the singular weight matter? Again...just wondering.

Jon McElwain
04-17-2012, 6:52 PM
I occasionally run my Oneway Stronghold chuck (8 lbs. with jaws) on my Delta 46-460. It is way overkill, but I use it only for convenience sake when the other chucks are tied up and I have something mounted on the larger lathe. No problems. I would say that rough turning a large blank is going to do more wear and tear on the lathe than a well balanced but heavy chuck.

Jon

paul vechart
04-17-2012, 7:03 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Jim, I think the Nova G3 weights about 3.5 lbs so the extra 1.5 to 2 lbs should not be a big deal. I would think there is some weight limit on a small lathe although if you mount a 12 inch diameter wet bowl blank on a face plate, that is a lot more weight than any chuck. Thanks again for the info.

Jim Burr
04-17-2012, 7:49 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. Jim, I think the Nova G3 weights about 3.5 lbs so the extra 1.5 to 2 lbs should not be a big deal. I would think there is some weight limit on a small lathe although if you mount a 12 inch diameter wet bowl blank on a face plate, that is a lot more weight than any chuck. Thanks again for the info.

Ha!!! Paul, I think you hit the nail on the head. My 1014 has been so badly abused...in a healthy turner way. I'd think that whatever you twist on to the spindle is going to make your experience better. Look, listen and feel...lathes are a tough kind.