PDA

View Full Version : veritas tongue and groove plane?

Adam Lewis
04-17-2012, 4:46 PM
rob,
when is this going to show up? :)
i am in need of one by early summer. i know i can get a LN no. 48, but i really like the planes you guys make.

sorry don't post at all, but i read most everything.
adam

Greg Berlin
04-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Im curious too, id be interested in one of those as well! And a larger tenon saw too while youre at it. ;)

Brian Loran
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm interested too! I heard it was going to be an add on to the plow plane.

Rob Lee
04-18-2012, 8:42 PM
rob,
when is this going to show up? :)
i am in need of one by early summer. i know i can get a LN no. 48, but i really like the planes you guys make.

sorry don't post at all, but i read most everything.
adam

Hi Adam,

I'll verify tomorrow, but I think it's by the end of this month. The pricing is in my in-bin right now.

Cheers,

Rob

David Weaver
04-18-2012, 9:35 PM
[joe isuzu] you can have this brand new plane for the special price of $6. Trust me..why would I lie?[joe isuzu off]

Bill Houghton
04-18-2012, 9:53 PM
[joe isuzu] you can have this brand new plane for the special price of $6. Trust me..why would I lie?[joe isuzu off]

You may be showing your age here, David - not sure how many people still remember Joe.

We would see the actor who played him now and again as a bit player for a while - he never touched the heights of the Joe Isuzu role, though.

David Weaver
04-18-2012, 10:18 PM
David something or other. I think he was on golden girls or some show, I don't think that's the right one, but about the right era.

You're right, he disappeared completely. Those commercials were on when I was a kid. We ran around school saying that to each other.. "trust me, why would I lie?"

I guess by some standards I'm not that old, but i'm old enough that I've said a lot of jokes to people and then had to explain them as a history lesson :)

Kevin Grady
04-18-2012, 10:41 PM
Still waiting for the tenon saw!

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 7:32 AM
Still waiting for the tenon saw!

Me too - last iteration with the mold was promising....!

Cheers -

Rob

Christian Thompson
04-19-2012, 8:15 AM
Hi Adam,

I'll verify tomorrow, but I think it's by the end of this month. The pricing is in my in-bin right now.

Cheers,

Rob

This is an attachment for the small plow plane right? I've got that in my birthday list (it's the only thing on the list :-) hoping that I will be able to use it as both.

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 8:51 AM
This is an attachment for the small plow plane right? I've got that in my birthday list (it's the only thing on the list :-) hoping that I will be able to use it as both.

Yes - it's an extension to the functionality of the small plow...

Tongue and groove sizes available will be 1/8", 3/16" 1/4", 4mm, 5mm, and 6mm. Also adding 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16", 3/4", 12mm, 16mm, 18mm straight blades.

For those that already have the plane - we'll be mailing an intro offer directly to you (around 25% off) the new parts... pick and choose what you'd like...

Tongue cutters, and blades over 12mm (over 7/16" Imperial) will require the addition of a conversion kit - basically a skate that sits between the body and fence to provide additional support for the wider blades. Conversion kits are handed (R or L) - wide blades will fit either hand of plane.

Conversion kit will be $29.50 intro ($39.50 reg), and will allow use of all Tongue and wide blades. All new straight blades will be $13.50 intro ($16.50 reg), and tongue blades will be $17.50-20.50 intro ($23.50-27.50 reg).

All of this is backwards compatible.

I know it looks a bit confusing here - but we'll get it all charted up and explained soon...!

Cheers -

Rob

Zach Dillinger
04-19-2012, 9:27 AM
David something or other. I think he was on golden girls or some show, I don't think that's the right one, but about the right era.

You're right, he disappeared completely. Those commercials were on when I was a kid. We ran around school saying that to each other.. "trust me, why would I lie?"

I guess by some standards I'm not that old, but i'm old enough that I've said a lot of jokes to people and then had to explain them as a history lesson :)

David Leisure! It was Empty Nest you are thinking of. I'm too young to remember the first run episodes, but I do remember seeing re-runs, perhaps some of the later episodes new.

Adam Lewis
04-19-2012, 10:17 AM
alright rob,
way to come thru. i would like to know a little bit more about how this all works, if you don't mind. you see i am going to the chicago LN event this saturday to play with their no 48 plane. and i have seen the videos on it, so i know it looks easy to use.

how will the t&g version work with the plow plane? will you have one blade (like the 48) and just cover part of it up when doing the groove, or will you have different blades for each operation and have to switch them out. i am just trying to gauge my options, since i will have an opportunity to buy the 48 this weekend. i have a lot of t&g planing to do this year, and i would just like to have the easiest tool available.

thank you for all your help so far
adam

David Weaver
04-19-2012, 10:35 AM
Adam - what size is your stock going to be (what thickness?). The original stanley planes work very well for T&G unless you can't tolerate the sizes they come in. Aside from the size (if you use machine planed 0.75" lumber exclusively), the only improvement I can really think of is that the iron for the LN is one piece (some people find smaller thin irons hard to sharpen, but skill erases that being an issue).

Chris Griggs
04-19-2012, 10:46 AM
That sounds pretty cool Rob. I have a feeling I'm going to like it!

Adam Lewis
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
david,
i think it will be mostly 3/4" stock. but i have not seen the pile i am pulling it from yet. so this is just a guess. it is at a friends farm 3 hours south. he had a walnut tree come down many years ago, he had it milled up, and it had been sitting in a barn ever since. i have only seen some of the small boards, and they were 3/4". but that is the stuff with some crazy grain. i would rather he save that for himself.

from reading robs post it sounds like it will be a two blade system. i was just asking my previous question, so that my line of thinking was on the same page as rob's. i am most curious about how (if two blade system) the t&g will line up consistently, once you change the blades out from the tongue blade to the groove blade.

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
how will the t&g version work with the plow plane? will you have one blade (like the 48) and just cover part of it up when doing the groove, or will you have different blades for each operation and have to switch them out. i am just trying to gauge my options, since i will have an opportunity to buy the 48 this weekend. i have a lot of t&g planing to do this year, and i would just like to have the easiest tool available.

thank you for all your help so far
adam

Hi Adam -

Yes - it's a two blade system, and it's a snap to adjust - using whatever you've already cut as a reference...

I'll let you folks decide which version you prefer - our preference is being clearly expressed by what we make. There's nothing wrong with a 48 - it's another good choice...

Our focus was to make a system to support cabinetmaking, and panel work of varying thicknesses... so with one plane, you can cut 6 different tongues (and matching grooves, of course). For those that have our plow, $45 will buy the first size of tongue and groove (conversion kit + tongue blade), and additional sizes require just the blade be purchased. Of course, when you're not doing T&G work, the plane still has lots of other use...

The LN version of the 48 is a good plane - you can't go wrong with it. Ours is different - and you can't go wrong with it either.

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Belair
04-19-2012, 12:36 PM
The LN version of the 48 is a good plane - you can't go wrong with it. Ours is different - and you can't go wrong with it either.

I think a significant advantage to the plow plane version like LV's is the ability to center on any thickness of stock. The 48/49's are specific to 7/8" (or maybe it's 3/4) and 1/2". Can be used on other thickness +/- 1/8" if I recall correctly. So if you want to cover even a moderately wide range you need both 48 & 49.

So yes, yours is different Rob, but better I think.

Jim B

Eugenio Musto
04-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Me too - last iteration with the mold was promising....!

Cheers -

Rob

Good news,just in time for the tenon of my new bench...
This molding make things very hard for you,right?I'm curious to know why you choose this material instead of the traditional brass.

Adam Lewis
04-19-2012, 2:15 PM
ok rob. you sold me. put my name on one. but i will need the whole plow plane and the t&g stuff as well.
when can i expect to purchase this item?

thank you
adam

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 3:07 PM
Good news,just in time for the tenon of my new bench...
This molding make things very hard for you,right?I'm curious to know why you choose this material instead of the traditional brass.

Eugenio -

Why does anyone do anything differently??? :)

Price, uility, value - they're all interrelated choices. We wanted to hit a specific price/performance point - one that's viable for a much larger audience, without sacrificing any function. That's hard to do...

We can make saws with brass backs....but then we'd just be offering what other people do, and you wouldn't have another choice....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 3:09 PM
ok rob. you sold me. put my name on one. but i will need the whole plow plane and the t&g stuff as well.
when can i expect to purchase this item?

thank you
adam

Hi Adam -

I'm hoping within 3-4 weeks.... we've finished many of the components, but not all....

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Herrmann
04-19-2012, 6:23 PM
Geez, Rob. Where am I going to put all those irons? Oh, I do like my small plow.

Rob Lee
04-19-2012, 6:46 PM
Geez, Rob. Where am I going to put all those irons? Oh, I do like my small plow.

Hi Gary -

Don't worry - we're going to make you a tool roll to hold all of the blades, with nicely labelled spaces.... that way - you'll be reminded of the sizes you don't have every time you look at it.... :)

I know... it's just evil....

Cheers -

Rob

Carl Beckett
04-20-2012, 8:00 AM
Hi Gary -

Don't worry - we're going to make you a tool roll to hold all of the blades, with nicely labelled spaces.... that way - you'll be reminded of the sizes you don't have every time you look at it.... :)

Cheers -

Rob

Classic. :)

You could add the catalog order number above each empty pocket..... and the phone number across the top of course. Course, some here already have the phone number on speed dial......

If you want to be really fancy it would just be a 2-D bar code that once we aim our smart phone at it and snap, the parts magically appear at our doorstep 1 week later. (of course, directly linked to our bank account at the same time)

Zach England
04-20-2012, 8:48 AM
How does the LV plough compare size-wise to the record 044? A well-made t/g option might cause me to make the switch.

Gary Herrmann
04-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Hi Gary -

Cheers -

Rob

A tool roll would be a good idea. 15 new irons plus the existing. That's gotta be close to 25. Rob, will there be other attachments in the future? Wondering if you're thinking combination plane.

Rob Lee
04-20-2012, 12:21 PM
A tool roll would be a good idea. 15 new irons plus the existing. That's gotta be close to 25. Rob, will there be other attachments in the future? Wondering if you're thinking combination plane.

Gary -

We do have a "large" plow on the go. "Large" doesn't denote size - more scope. If you want to add more function, you have to start thinking about nickers and stops, and move to an unhanded design...among other thing.

Oh - just counted the blades.... 37 total now - 11 RH, 11 LH, and 15 new unhanded ones....

Cheers -

Rob

Zach England
04-20-2012, 12:50 PM
Gary -

We do have a "large" plow on the go. "Large" doesn't denote size - more scope. If you want to add more function, you have to start thinking about nickers and stops, and move to an unhanded design...among other thing.

Oh - just counted the blades.... 37 total now - 11 RH, 11 LH, and 15 new unhanded ones....

Cheers -

Rob

Will this plane also have the T/G functionality?

Rob Lee
04-20-2012, 12:55 PM
Will this plane also have the T/G functionality?

Zach -

Since it's still mostly on paper, I'll say yes.... :)

But it's at least a year off - lots of parts and tooling to do... the small one's good to go....

.... c'mon.....

... you know you want it.....

:)

Cheers -

Rob
(laughing and typing at the same time....)

Jim Belair
04-20-2012, 1:15 PM
How does the LV plough compare size-wise to the record 044? A well-made t/g option might cause me to make the switch.

Essentially the same size. Detailed comparison in Derek's review http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ToolReviews/The%20Veritas%20Small%20Plow%20Plane.html

Zach England
04-20-2012, 1:47 PM
Zach -

Since it's still mostly on paper, I'll say yes.... :)

But it's at least a year off - lots of parts and tooling to do... the small one's good to go....

.... c'mon.....

... you know you want it.....

:)

Cheers -

Rob

I do want it, but I am quite attached to my Record 044. I think I am subconsciously afraid to get a Veritas plough because I am afraid it will replace the Record.

Chris Griggs
04-20-2012, 2:00 PM
I do want it, but I am quite attached to my Record 044. I think I am subconsciously afraid to get a Veritas plough because I am afraid it will replace the Record.

You can rationalize owning both by telling yourself that you will save time on your projects by leaving your record set up for 1/4" grooves and setting up the Veritas for other specialized tasks!

Gary Herrmann
04-20-2012, 2:11 PM
Rob

You sir, are a bad bad man.

I do hope theres a tool roll though. 37 irons? Dang.

And I hope the large plow is unhanded, so I'm not tempted by two of them.

Somehow I think Rob will try to break the record for the number of irons with the large plow.

Hmm, that would be a good April Fool's tool. "Buy our new extra large plow plane. You'll need both hands to lift it, but it comes with 237 irons all in one convenient Veritainer. You can cut open a tin can with iron 58 (normally used for hogging off material) and then plane wafer thin slices from a ripe tomato with iron 113 (our 36 degree radiused smoothing iron)."

Jim Neeley
04-20-2012, 5:07 PM
Hmm, that would be a good April Fool's tool. "Buy our new extra large plow plane. You'll need both hands to lift it, but it comes with 237 irons all in one convenient Veritainer. You can cut open a tin can with iron 58 (normally used for hogging off material) and then plane wafer thin slices from a ripe tomato with iron 113 (our 36 degree radiused smoothing iron)."

LMAO.. Why am I visualizing a multi-port "air bag" option... sort of like the Saw-Stop of hand tools!! :)

Maurice Ungaro
04-21-2012, 6:27 PM
Rob,
As your current plough plane is very similar to the Record 044C, will it be possible to use your new T&G option on it as well?

James Mittlefehldt
04-22-2012, 12:00 PM
I have not been here for some time on any kind of a regular basis and what do I find more baubles from Rob Lee the man is truly devious.

Just a matter of curiosity but at some point will there also be groups of hollows and raounds to go with either the small or large Plow planes.

I would add I do have the small one now and I almost giggle everytime I use it it is that much fun.

Erwin Graween
04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Hi Rob,

Sounds very cool. One question. Do you plan to make a bigger plow plane one day ? Or maybe add some nickers on the plane for cross grain planing ?
Probably new holes in our wallets on the way :p

Thank you.

Jim Belair
04-24-2012, 6:50 AM
Rob,
As your current plough plane is very similar to the Record 044C, will it be possible to use your new T&G option on it as well?

I would doubt it very much. They are similar size, not identical as far as I know. Rob's trying to sell planes after all, plus Veritas designs always strive to improve on the old.

Rob Lee
04-24-2012, 7:42 PM
I have not been here for some time on any kind of a regular basis and what do I find more baubles from Rob Lee the man is truly devious.

Just a matter of curiosity but at some point will there also be groups of hollows and raounds to go with either the small or large Plow planes.

I would add I do have the small one now and I almost giggle everytime I use it it is that much fun.

I'd like to have hollow and rounds.... that would be with the large plane though.

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
04-24-2012, 7:43 PM
Rob,

Hi Maurice -

Pretty sure the answer is no...but will have to check....and will do so!

Cheers -

Rob

Rob Lee
04-24-2012, 7:44 PM
Hi Rob,

Sounds very cool. One question. Do you plan to make a bigger plow plane one day ? Or maybe add some nickers on the plane for cross grain planing ?
Probably new holes in our wallets on the way :p

Thank you.

Hi Erwin -

Absolutely. It's still a ways out though, but is an active project...

Cheers -

Rob

Craig J Brain
04-24-2012, 9:06 PM
Blast!

I just purchased a Montgomery Ward 45, because I couldn't wait any longer for the upgrade to the Veritas Small Plow Plane! Looks like I'll be saving up again :)

Craig J. Brain
Canberra

Trevor Walsh
04-25-2012, 7:30 AM
One thing I think would be cool to see would be side beads. Maybe with interchangeable beech soles? In say 1/8", 3/16" 1/4" and 1/2". Like this Kimberly...

Brian Loran
04-25-2012, 10:56 AM
:O

That would be great if you could make hollow and rounds! I will start setting aside a "large plow plane with hollow and rounds" fund now.

Craig J Brain
04-26-2012, 5:41 AM
Hi Adam -

I'm hoping within 3-4 weeks.... we've finished many of the components, but not all....

Cheers -

Rob

Rob,

For us users of Metric, have you guys considered offering a deal for an all-metric kit, as you do for the Imperial sets of blades?

Thanks,

Craig J. Brain
Australia

Rob Lee
04-26-2012, 7:30 AM
Rob,

For us users of Metric, have you guys considered offering a deal for an all-metric kit, as you do for the Imperial sets of blades?

Thanks,

Craig J. Brain
Australia

Hi Craig -

Yes - we've done that too...!

4mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
5mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
6mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
7mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
8mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
10mm A2 Blade, RH Sm Plow Plane
Set 6 Blades, Metric, RH

12 mm A2 Blade, Sm Plow, RH & LH
16 mm A2 Blade, Sm Plow, RH & LH
18 mm A2 Blade, Sm Plow, RH & LH
Set 3 Wide Blades, Metric, RH+LH

4mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
5mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
6mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
7mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
8mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
10mm A2 Blade, LH Sm Plow Plane
Set 6 Blades, Metric, LH

4 mm Tongue Blade, RH & LH
5 mm Tongue Blade, RH & LH
6 mm Tongue Blade, RH & LH
Set 3 Tongue Blades, Metric

RH Plane + 7 Blades (RH 3mm + set 6 RH above)
LH Plane + 7 blades (LH 3mm + set 6 LH above)

Could still be more sets (larger)....

Cheers -

Rob

Erwin Graween
04-26-2012, 5:17 PM
Hi Rob

Hi Erwin -

Absolutely. It's still a ways out though, but is an active project...

Cheers -

Rob

Thank you for your answer.
If I may a Dovetail Plane would be awesome.
After all we can also try our chance ....

Regards.

Matt Lau
04-28-2012, 1:25 AM
It does exist!

That clinches it! I'm going to have to buy a plow plane from you.

Rob Lee
05-05-2012, 1:03 PM
Hi Maurice -

Pretty sure the answer is no...but will have to check....and will do so!

Cheers -

Rob

Hi Maurice -

Took a while to get to this, as we had to pull planes from the collection, and I was out of the office...

Short answer is no.

Looking at the Record planes, compatability is:

Record 043 : Blades 1/8”, 3/16” and 1/4" will work – blades sit flat on bed and there is no depth adjuster on this plane

Record 044 : Blades do not work – depth adjuster works in slots cut across back of blade

Record 050 : Blades do not work – blade thickness is too large for the blade bed slot (side clamping between body and sliding section)

Record 050C : Blades do not work – blade thickness is too large for the blade bed slot (side clamping between body and sliding section)

Cheers -

Rob

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-05-2012, 1:07 PM
Surely some enterprising soul could find a way to grind the slots in the blade to make them work in a 44- although I don't think I'd want to try and grind into the hardened cutters; at that point you're doing enough work you ought just start from scratch.

Maurice Ungaro
05-05-2012, 2:35 PM
Rob,
Thank you for looking into this! I was curious about the 044C, as it closely resembles the Lee Valley model. Thank you again for taking time out of your day to check it out.

Adam Lewis
05-07-2012, 4:06 PM
rob,
time frame for the big debut of the t&g plane?
i know its got to be close. i keep checking the site everyday.
thank you
adam

Rob Lee
05-07-2012, 4:42 PM
rob,
time frame for the big debut of the t&g plane?
i know its got to be close. i keep checking the site everyday.
thank you
adam

Hi Adam -

We're about to send letters to plane owners... just waiting for adaptation into French, and for distribution to take place... our inventory was received last week, and is rolling out to our stores now. A basic web page will go up first (with just the new components) - which will be the best "deal".

I think you can stop checking for the rest of this week.....

Cheers -

Rob

Jim Neeley
05-07-2012, 7:43 PM
Rob,

How do I get on the plane owners list? I purchased a LH small plow and had it shipped to me at my former employers address so any letter to me there would disappear into recycle.

Jim

Rob Lee
05-07-2012, 8:57 PM
Rob,

How do I get on the plane owners list? I purchased a LH small plow and had it shipped to me at my former employers address so any letter to me there would disappear into recycle.

Jim

Hi Jim -

No worries - we won't keep it a secret... :)

If you (and whomever else wants to be notifed by email) want to shoot me your email address at rlee@leevalley.com , I'll make sure you get a copy. If you prefer regular mail - please send me the address you'd like the letter sent to....

Cheers -

Rob

Joey Chavez
05-07-2012, 9:49 PM
Hey Rob, love the small plow and looking forward to the add on attachments. By the way, I'm finally getting back to Toronto for business next month and want to see a Lee Valley store for the first time after being able to only order online. I'll be around Mississauga and the Lake Shore Drive area, what would be the closest one? Thanks!

Rob Lee
05-08-2012, 9:18 AM
Hey Rob, love the small plow and looking forward to the add on attachments. By the way, I'm finally getting back to Toronto for business next month and want to see a Lee Valley store for the first time after being able to only order online. I'll be around Mississauga and the Lake Shore Drive area, what would be the closest one? Thanks!

Hi Joey -

That's actually a tough question...depends on time of day too...

Closest is Downtown by distance, but traffic and parking may not be fun depending on time of day. Burlington is a bit farther, but it's a fast drive...probably your best bet.

If you're flying in or out - the Weston store is only a few miles North-East of the airport....

Cheers -

Rob

Igor Petrenko
05-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I got mine second hand so wont be in owner list :(

Rob Lee
05-08-2012, 10:20 AM
I got mine second hand so wont be in owner list :(

No worries Igor... I'm an equal opportunity tempter...:D

The intro offer will be available to all... it's just the special mailing (as we don't have it scheduled for a catalog yet) that will go to people we know who have one..

If you (or anyone else) want to shoot me an email at rlee@leevalley.com , I'll be glad to send you the same information by email next week...

Cheers -

Rob

Gary Herrmann
05-08-2012, 7:13 PM
I already picked up the mail today, but I may just have to run out there and check again, just in case...

Jim McGee
05-17-2012, 4:40 PM
Lee Valley posted Tongue-and-Groove Accessories for Plow Planethe today (5/17/12) on their wed site.
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=69613&cat=51&ap=1

Adam Lewis
05-17-2012, 5:20 PM
got one coming to me already. along with a few other "needed" things.

thanks
adam

Ryan Baker
05-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Looking at the site, everything is ala cart. I was kinda expecting to see some sets. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. What happened to the blade holder roll? Is that coming later?

BTW, has anybody received the offer letter yet?

Jim Neeley
05-20-2012, 3:24 AM
They're available on the web site, Ryan..

Rob Lee
05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
Looking at the site, everything is ala cart. I was kinda expecting to see some sets. Oh well, I guess it doesn't matter. What happened to the blade holder roll? Is that coming later?

BTW, has anybody received the offer letter yet?

Hi Ryan,

The intro prices always represent our deepest discount...so we will not post the new sets until after the intro expires...

Letters went out the end of last week, so delivery is in the hands of your postal system! Blade holder roll is being worked on now...but is still a couple of months away...

Cheers,

Rob
( enjoying 28c sunny weather at the lake....)

Ryan Baker
05-21-2012, 7:25 PM
Thanks Rob. I got the letter today. I'm getting my order ready.

Derek Cohen
05-21-2012, 9:24 PM
Just in case it is not obvious, the post here on "Accessory blades for the Small Plow" is about setting up and using the T&G format.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Mike Cogswell
05-24-2012, 1:42 AM
Is there a "bundle" price for the full set of adapter and all sizes of T&G and wide blades?

Jim Neeley
05-24-2012, 4:35 AM
Mike,

Rob answers this in #66. They'll be higher than the intro price, when they are available. :)

Jim

Rob Lee
05-24-2012, 7:25 AM
Is there a "bundle" price for the full set of adapter and all sizes of T&G and wide blades?

Hi Mike -

The 25% (or more) off the individuals is the best discount we can give (and stay in business!). We prefer to discount this way, as "bundles" can tempt people to buy far a larger range than they can use. Generally - a set discount (bundles) ranges from 5-15%. We haven't listed our set prices yet, as they will ultimately have a higher price than the individual prices currently in effect.

Cheers -

Rob

Paul Saffold
05-24-2012, 8:16 AM
Rob, with the large blade adapter, would it be feasible to use this as a beading or other small profile plane? Would you consider offering blank blades? I know having dedicated planes is nice, but for the hobby woodworker on a budget it's not always possible and a few of us like to tinker around.

Thanks,
Paul

Rob Lee
05-24-2012, 8:44 AM
Hi Paul -

The small plow does work well as a beading plane - but the square skate profile is not ideal for most beads - too much of recess either side of rthe bead. We did prototype a modified skate plow - but it's a completely different body, and not a backward compatible modification.

Any of the plow blades we have now can be used as "blanks" .... or you asking about unhardened blades?

Cheers -

Rob

Paul Saffold
05-24-2012, 9:00 AM
Rob, you are making it easier to justify buying one of these. Yes, annealed blanks are easier to shape and if they are O-1 not that difficult to harden. But I see A2 is what's available for this plane.
Thanks,
Paul

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
05-24-2012, 9:17 AM
If you want to go to go to the trouble of shaping a custom cutter and heat treating it, it doesn't seem like it'd be that much work to start with raw stock - the only extra bit needed is a slot on the end to engage the adjuster wheel - if you're only using it on a single version of the plow (ie., you don't own both the left and right handed planes) then you only need one notch, not two like the blades LV sells. I'm not sure what Rob offering blanks really would get you.

Paul Saffold
05-24-2012, 9:35 AM
Thanks Joshua. I don't have the plane but at this point am just speculating what other uses I might find for it.

Derek Cohen
05-24-2012, 9:37 AM
I've used Stanley #45 beading blades in the Small Plow. They are too long to engage the blade adjuster - remove it and adjust the blade manually.

You could also cut down and add slots to old blades ..

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek Cohen
05-26-2012, 1:45 AM
Here are a few pics of the Small Plough using a #45 beading blade.

The blade fits well as long as you forego the adjuster (remove it).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Small%20Plow/Beading3.jpg

The depth of cut is actually controlled by the skate now (the blade is hollow), and not the depth stop. You will need to set it twice: once for the initial cuts, and then again as the blade needs to go deeper.

Here is the result on an edge (Tasmanian Oak - similar to White Oak but more interlocked) ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Small%20Plow/Beading1.jpg

.. and on the face ..

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a262/Derek50/Planes/LV%20planes/Small%20Plow/Beading2.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

Ed Looney
05-27-2012, 11:18 AM
Rob

Nice addition to the small pow plane. I like your idea of making one tool more versatile instead of a dedicated tool for each task. Could I ask you to seriously consider making blades for beading detail too? The sizes of 1/8 and 1/4 diameter would be great. Everything is already there for cutting the bead detail as far as fences and depth stops. All we need are the blades.

Ed

Derek Cohen
05-27-2012, 11:38 AM
When I mentioned the use of the #45 blades to Alf, she had a go as well. Alf noted that the skate was interfering with planing, as I had mentioned but, unlike my successful efforts, she experienced difficulty creating any beads. So it may not be as reasonable as I indicated early. Try it for yourself. You may be happy .. or not.

Regards from Perth

Derek