PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone replaced a CPU in a VLS4.60 before?

matt aiken
04-17-2012, 3:57 PM
The CPU on our Universal 4.60 60 watt has decided it was time to move on, I called Universal and have ordered a new CPU, which also comes with a new Z axis motor.
I was wondering if anyone has experience replacing one and could offer me any tips when I attempt this in a couple days.
Thanks

Todd Schwartz
04-17-2012, 5:17 PM
Ask Universal for the Service Manual for your laser. I have one for my VL-300 and has come in handy multiple times. It should be a PDF.

Todd

Mike Mackenzie
04-17-2012, 5:55 PM
The reason the Z motors have to be changed is due to a higher torque Z Motor that they use now so the CPU and Z motor are matched. This would only need to be done if you have to replace the CPU on an older VLS.

I attached the PDF instructions for you to review it is not that difficult all of the connections only plug in one way just be sure that you plug everything back into the new CPU.

matt aiken
04-18-2012, 12:40 PM
When I disconnect the thermal board wires even though nothing is plugged into the laser. It makes a loud beep-alarm sound until I plug the wire back in? Anyone know if this is normal?

Mike Mackenzie
04-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Matt,

Take the 9 Volt battery out.

matt aiken
04-18-2012, 2:07 PM
Yeah I forgot about the battery- lol
The hardest part was switching out the Z-Motor, it was pretty hard to get to the bolts holding it on.
But everything went well and it seems to be working just fine.

Thanks for the PDF and the help with the battery Mike.