PDA

View Full Version : sanding help please

Norris Randall
04-17-2012, 11:22 AM
I've got a very dry piece of dogwood and I cannot get the two
against the "end grain" sides to sand smooth.
Both spots look and feel like they have a "five o'clock shadow"
compared to the rest of the piece.

All suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks.
Here's a photo that will show the piece.

Bill Bolen
04-17-2012, 12:14 PM
I've had the same problem on occasion and find that reversing the direction of sander will usually take care of the problem quickly. Good luck with it. looks like a fine piece to be.

Reed Gray
04-17-2012, 1:08 PM
Number one way to get rid of that tear out, is bevel rubbing high shear angle cut (scraper flat on the tool rest, 0 shear angle, Doug Thompson fluteless gouge can be rolled to 60 or more degrees vertical), with a sharp tool. A bevel rubbing cut will give a better and cleaner cut than a high shear angle non bevel rubbing cut, often called a shear scrape: gouge/scraper handle dropped, and flutes/scraper rolled over so the bevel does not rub. Take very light pull cuts, taking several passes to work it down. This does a fair job, and can get it clean enough to remove without much extra sanding.

Number two way is getting the wood wet with finish or even water, let it soak for 60 seconds or so, then take very light cuts, again, high shear angle.

Number 3 way is the 80 grit gouge. If you have a power sander, you have to stop the lathe and focus on that spot, but keep the drill moving so you don't dig a hole. If you are hand sanding, again stop the lathe, and work on the problem spot. Reversing the lathe direction helps as well. Note, you have to get ALL the tear out gone before moving on up to the next grit.

Some times you can't cut it out, and have to sand.

robo hippy

Norris Randall
04-17-2012, 9:41 PM
Thank you, Bill and Reed.
I'll try, try, again.

Russell Neyman
04-18-2012, 1:09 PM
Soapy water to act as a lubricant? It works occasionally, I've heard.