PDA

View Full Version : Coreldraw problem

John Johnson 2
04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
I hope somebody can help me. A client gave me a drawing that has quite a lot of overlapping detail. If you look at the top right or bottom left in wireframe you will see what I mean. We chopped the excess lines out manually and created a drawing that could be engraved. What I would like to know is if there is an easier way to remove the underlying lines. I suppose one could turn the drawing into a bitmap and trace it. Is there not a tool in AI or Coreldraw to discard all the excess underlying detail.

Tony Severenuk (Corel)
04-17-2012, 10:51 AM
Is there not a tool in AI or Coreldraw to discard all the excess underlying detail.

Select the two shapes that overlap. Select Arrange>Shaping>Simplify.

T.

John Johnson 2
04-17-2012, 11:11 AM
Yes, I know that but there are lots and lots.

Martin Boekers
04-17-2012, 12:05 PM
Is this giving you issues with engraving? I am missing something on why this is an issue.
Would just turning the corners into a bitmap an leave the rest as vector? Does the whole piece
have to be vector?

Dee Gallo
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
I don't understand the problem either. I do see that the two flagged ends will be cut off, though... did you intend that to happen?

John Johnson 2
04-17-2012, 1:02 PM
I need to be able to outline every line in the art and then engrave the blackened areas.

Lets rather call this an acidemic exercise: how would you remove the underlying vectors so as to engrave and outline. As I said, I know that one can do it mechanically by chopping up each object (This is exactly what I did) but I still feel that there has to be an easier way considering that the final artwork shows only the upper part of each object that is visible. I think that it should be possible in software.

Martin Boekers
04-17-2012, 3:06 PM
I need to be able to outline every line in the art and then engrave the blackened areas.

Lets rather call this an acidemic exercise: how would you remove the underlying vectors so as to engrave and outline. As I said, I know that one can do it mechanically by chopping up each object (This is exactly what I did) but I still feel that there has to be an easier way considering that the final artwork shows only the upper part of each object that is visible. I think that it should be possible in software.

If I am understanding it right, I think software may have issues with the layering which is top and which is bottom and inbetween.

Are you planning on doing a vector cut? It looks like there already is 2 lines and the are filled with black?

Maybe if you showed us what you did we may get a better grasp on it.

John Johnson 2
04-17-2012, 5:29 PM
I didn't solve the problem in CorelDraw although it is possible. I just exported the drawing to Rhino and did it there. I've worked out how to solve the problem in code, I just don't know how to speak Coreldraw VBA. I've posted an algorithm on the Coreldraw forum and hopefully somebody would be able to translate it to Coreldraw VBA. It is a simple loop within a loop that runs through all the selected objects.

I'll post the solution once I get it to run.

Kasey Maxwell
04-17-2012, 11:28 PM
try this, use removeUnderlyingDups.gms to remove the duplicate lines, just put it in the GMS folder, it will help about 80% of the time.

hope this helps !

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
04-18-2012, 2:06 AM
Manually it may be possible only if we could select by batch, else by color