PDA

View Full Version : I love the versatility of woodturning

Michelle Rich
04-17-2012, 9:16 AM
One can make chairs/furniture, spoons, architectural posts, bowls, Hf's , artwork of many kinds, vases, smaller posts for stair parts, and even round picture frames, which I have a picture of below. Many years ago, i realized that heavy & large stained glass items needed big hefty frames. I could find no commercial ones, so i decided to use segmentation & make my own. It has served me well, these many years. Look around you & you will find woodturning is more than bowls & hollowforms. If you are making other turned items, please share them with us. It will expand all our horizons. Thanks

mike ash
04-17-2012, 9:30 AM
Michelle - You are so right about the versitility of wood, and how it provides for some many arts and crafts. I think I previously posted this photo of a couple stools I made for the the grandkids. They use them everytime they are over and I know that these will be family heirlooms. Nothing fancy, just uselful!!!

Allan Ferguson
04-17-2012, 10:34 AM
There are indeed many possibilities tor tunings limited only by our imagination or lack there of.

Jim Underwood
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM
Lately I've posted several items that aren't "run of the mill" hollowforms or bowls. Not that John Keeton or David Cristofo...(-I can never remember how to spell his name-) post "run of the mill" objects, but still...

Hourglass, Corzetti Stamp, and Nostepinne? Heck, I didn't even know what a corzetti stamp was until a friend asked me about it...

That's a nice segmented frame for the stained glass, by the way. I'll be making some of those out of MDF soon, and they certainly don't come close....

Prashun Patel
04-17-2012, 10:55 AM
I really love these stools, Mike. That finish is superb and the design is just so well balanced. So sittable.

Michelle Rich
04-17-2012, 11:18 AM
hi Mike: thanks for sharing your stools. the little stumpy legs are adorable & the grandkids are lucky to have them.

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2012, 12:43 PM
When I used to do architectural woodwork, there was often a need for radiused crown moulding sections. I turned those on the lathe mounted on a huge faceplate using a method similar to your frame.

Jim Underwood
04-17-2012, 3:35 PM
Well durn. I wish I'd have thought of that before we waited so long for our supplier to make some arched crown for us...... coulda made some money to pay for my shop addition.

Baxter Smith
04-17-2012, 4:23 PM
Beautiful window Michele! Great stools too Mike. No grandkids yet and I'm in no rush either! :D
Here is my contribution to the thread. When my daughter recieved word that she had passed her RN boards a few months ago, I made her this mortar and pestle the next day. Just in case she needed it at wherever she might get her first nursing job.;) She has gotten the job but I haven't seen her take it yet.:)
I made the walnut table at least 10 years ago right after I got a used lathe. I still have the pieces I was going to use for a second one.:rolleyes:
I don't think I made anything with it again other than a couple of replacement parts for old chairs and a spool bed until 2 years ago.

mike ash
04-17-2012, 6:12 PM
As I was in the kitchen grabbing a snack, I spotted one of my wife and grandkid's favorite items.....a rolling pin from curley maple w/ walnut handles. My wife loves it for pies and I often see the grandkids rolling out playdough!!!!

Michelle Rich
04-18-2012, 7:01 AM
Baxter & mike: thanks for sharing your pieces. Baxter, the table is terrific! Gorgeous post turning. Where's the round top? :-) :-) LOL Mike, the curley maple is spectacular on this rollingpin..I can see why your family finds it useful & pretty.

Will Winder
04-21-2012, 9:25 PM
A friend asked if I could make a new handle for this pot today. I'm told the pot has been in use for 60+ years making cookies and ginger snaps each year for the town fair.

Baxter Smith
04-21-2012, 9:45 PM
........ Where's the round top? :-) :-) QUOTE]I wasn't about to make a 15" piece of walnut fit on a 12 inch lathe Michele.:eek: It did have a gap bed though.;) I had to wait another 10 years before I learned how to use a faceplate.:)

[QUOTE=Will Winder;1915858]A friend asked if I could make a new handle for this pot today. I'm told the pot has been in use for 60+ years making cookies and ginger snaps each year for the town fair.

Nice job Will. Looks like you reinforced the handle where it meets the pot or is that just the picture?

Michelle Rich
04-23-2012, 11:36 AM
thanks for sharing this, Will..great fix!!

Lee Koepke
04-23-2012, 1:04 PM
I dont have a picture, but one of my wife's friends is in The Pilots Club here locally, well, they have a ships wheel they use for their club sign and over the years, it lost 2 of the handles. It was a simple turn, but I turned two new handles for them. While I had it, I stripped and sanded decades of paint from it and when I gave it back it was pretty much brand new looking.