PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Thingamajiggy

Kathy Marshall
04-17-2012, 1:00 AM
It seems like I've been really busy this past week, but not much to show for it. My nephew got married on Saturday, so I spent a few days finishing up a mesquite nested set as a wedding present, and my sister requested that I bring a box of some of my pieces for her to see, so I spent some time on some final touches, buffing, waxing etc., but since I didn't turn much, I don't feel like I accomplished much.

This is the one piece I did turn. I roughed out the outside Friday after work, then bagged it up until I could get to it on Sunday to do the hollowing.
I have an order for some yarn bowls with a NE sans bark and about 8" x 5-6", and I just got in a load of mesquite with some big enough pieces to start on. This piece was kind of an experiment. I knew it would be too tall, and I purposely didn't turn it down to get rid of the void. I just wanted to see what it would look like with it. Now I know.

This comes in at 7 1/2" x 7 1/2" with very thin walls at the top, tapering to about 1/4" at the base. It has a single coat of DO while I decide if I want to spend any more time on it.
I can't say that I love it, can't even really say that I like it very much but it might grow on me a little as I get used to it. There are aspects that I like and I can see myself doing another or more to see if I can tweek it to a more attractive form, but using a more balanced blank.
What do you think?

for scale.

This is from my nephew's wedding which took place on his property. I'm fairly sure this is desert ironwood, but I managed to keep the drooling to a minimum, especially after hearing he's already refused offers to purchase it. The 2nd pic is for scale.

Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

John Keeton
04-17-2012, 5:49 AM
Kathy, it is hard to not like a smooth, flowing, and even curve! The void and sapwood add significantly.

Apparently, mesquite is even stable enough to include a cross pith in a face grain turning - you are one fortunate lady to have an unlimited supply!

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2012, 8:02 AM
I find the piece very interesting! The contrast between heartwood/sapwood coupled with the natural opening make this a winner for me!

Faust M. Ruggiero
04-17-2012, 8:29 AM
Kathy,
I wouldn't know a desert ironwood tree if it fell on me but whatever that tree is, it belongs in a movie scene. Now that your nephew got wedding pix taken in front of it, he will never part with it. However, there is nothing mentioned in the 10 Commandments that sounds like "Thou shalt not cover thy nephews tree" so I guess it's OK to keep on hoping.
Oh, Nice yarn bowl. Yarn Bowl ?? I guess I lead a sheltered life.

Doug W Swanson
04-17-2012, 9:41 AM
I'm not sure what's not to like about this piece. It's got great character, good wood and it's unique. I'd gladly put it on my mantel!

Jerry Marcantel
04-17-2012, 9:50 AM
Kathy, nice peice again, and that definately is Ironwood. With all that drooling you said you did, maybe it'll grow better if the drools feel within the drip line.... Is the tree dead, or hasn't your area started spring yet????........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Bernie Weishapl
04-17-2012, 11:33 AM
Kathy that is a nice piece. Love the wood contrast and the opening.

David DeCristoforo
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
Very nice piece. The side with the void has an almost eerie, mask like quality. Maybe a grimace from drinking that god awful diet coke?

Michelle Rich
04-17-2012, 1:20 PM
A#1 thingamajiny!

Alan Trout
04-17-2012, 1:43 PM
That is not a "Thingamajiggy" it is a really nice "Whatchamacallit"and very well done to boot. It is really hard to get that nice of a curve on a "whatchamacallit" but you did it and you should be commended for it.

Alan

Kathy Marshall
04-18-2012, 2:53 AM
Thanks everyone!
It hasn't quite grown on me yet, but I do like the size and even with the hole it would hold alot of m&m's!

Kathy, nice peice again, and that definately is Ironwood. With all that drooling you said you did, maybe it'll grow better if the drools feel within the drip line.... Is the tree dead, or hasn't your area started spring yet????........ Jerry (in Tucson)
Thanks for the positive ID Jerry, I was pretty sure that's what it was. The only other trees that grow out there are mesquite and palo verde and i knew it wasn't either of those, and yes it's definitely dead, spring started here back in January!

Very nice piece. The side with the void has an almost eerie, mask like quality. Maybe a grimace from drinking that god awful diet coke?
It's not a grimace, definitely a smile from that delicious diet coke! If you turn it upside down, it kinda looks like a helmet.

Rick Markham
04-18-2012, 5:27 PM
Man that is cool Kathy!!! I can relate a bit, I've spent the last week working on a business plan for a class at school, no time to touch the lathe, even though I have really acomplished a whole lot this week, it feels like it doesn't count because I haven't gotten to make anything. Keep up the great work!

Scott Hackler
04-18-2012, 8:25 PM
I like that one Kathy! Lots of visual interest.

Baxter Smith
04-18-2012, 10:11 PM
Neat piece Kathy! I was thinking yarn bowl as soon as I saw the pictures. Speaking of pictures, that sure is an ugly tree!;):)Makes me want to see one in person though!