PDA

View Full Version : Doug Herzberg and the orange tree...

Jon McElwain
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Osage Orange that is...

Doug, sorry it took me so long to post a thank you. Busy week, but I had a little time this evening to unwrap the Osage Orange that you sent.

Folks, Doug saw me post some months back that I had never turned Osage Orange but that I was interested in the wood. Two weeks ago, he finds out that a friend of his will be traveling 2-1/2 hours in my direction and asks him to deliver some wood! I told Doug that I would be out of town when his friend was up here, but sure enough, when I got home, there was a pile of Osage Orange on the front porch! It was anchor sealed, and triple wrapped to boot! I'll get some blanks down to you one of these days - if I had been thinking, I would have put some out for your friend to pick up and take back down.

Doug, a big "thank you" to you and your friend. Of course if I break my roughing gouge on this stuff, I'm blaming you! :D

Roger Chandler
04-16-2012, 10:37 PM
yeah.........that Doug has been generous with his OO..........he sent me some pieces a while back, and I look forward to a few things when I can get some time......you will like OO......it can be hard, but one can achieve a very nice finish on it!

Baxter Smith
04-16-2012, 11:19 PM
Neat wood! I recently turned my first few pieces of it. Interesting stuff!

Doug Herzberg
04-17-2012, 8:41 AM
I hope you're not disappointed, Jon. The trunk of the tree had a big hollow and the wood around the hollow looks like it's already dry. Sharp tools, small cuts. The wet parts of the tree have been a pleasure. Enjoy.

Jason Ritchie
04-17-2012, 9:03 AM
I have turned lots of Osage Orange as my brother has one of the largest trees I have ever seen and he had one of the trunks die a few years back. Some things I have learned is that it will darken somewhat after a few years of being finished but its still beautiful non the less. Also, keep any offcuts as they can be used to make bushings and other tooling as the wood is extremely hard and stable. I also found that friction polish works really well on OO where not so much on other woods. Great stuff and enjoy turning!