PDA

View Full Version : sports team logos????

Jimmy L Taylor
04-16-2012, 8:15 PM
Can I legally engrave a college team logo on glass and resell it? What is the process for doing this legally?

Frank Corker
04-16-2012, 8:20 PM
I doubt it very much. It's registered trade name. They could easily chase you and get everything that you have. A definitive NO NO NO

Joe Pelonio
04-16-2012, 8:26 PM
It's illegal and they have plenty of lawyers to take you to court. Don't fall for the customer saying they "won't tell where they got it", either.

Gary Hair
04-16-2012, 8:55 PM
Definitely can't do it without approval. You would be amazed at the cost to be able to engrave a college logo. They usually have a licensing fee and will also take a percentage of your sales. Unless you are going to do lots of merchandise with their logo it's not worth the time or money. The easiest way to find out is to call the trademark department of the college you are interested in working with.

Gary

Ross Moshinsky
04-16-2012, 11:23 PM
It's a big no-no to produce items with trademark logos on it for general sale.

It's questionable to even produce items with a trademark logo on it for company use. I wouldn't be very concerned with this circumstance but you should know that just because some employee says its okay to use the company's logo, doesn't mean it actually is.

Bruce Clumpner
04-17-2012, 2:50 AM
Jimmy,

As everyone says, you need a license, and it's expensive if you're caught without one. Most schools use a management company to handle their licenses. It's fairly easy to get, but there are some hoops you have to go through. My experience is that the royalty fees are anywhere from 5% to 15% depending on the school and the product you want to sell. I'm licensed for two of the service academies and it's worked out OK so far. You can PM me if you want any additional info.

Martin Boekers
04-17-2012, 12:12 PM
Actually I have thought of putting a nice sign up in the shop, saying something
to the effect it's illegal to use copywrited materials. Sort of "a Don't Even Think About
It" Sign :) Some ask can I redraw it? Some ask, "another grey" area can I take a picture of
a sign at the ballpark and use that?

But basically no, it's not worth it for a single piece and it's REALLY not worth it for a quantity!

Darryl Hazen
04-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Copyright means exactly that. If you have not been given the right from the copyright owner, then you are violating the law if you make a copy. Period.

Tim Bateson
04-17-2012, 1:24 PM
I get a lot of requests for a very large University. Their policy to apply for a license is they have to approve of every use of the logo – that’s every item it’ll be displayed on and how you display it. Then you have to pay in advance for your expected sales in the coming year. Get caught and they come in with a warrant and confiscate ALL of your merchandise, plus a nasty fine. Team merchandising is BIG business and a lot of revenue for these schools.

Howard Garner
04-17-2012, 2:33 PM
Even large universities will give permission for one offs
Last Christmas I got permission to use the USC (the real USC, not that half a state one) logo.
Howard Garner

Martin Boekers
04-17-2012, 2:58 PM
Even large universities will give permission for one offs
Last Christmas I got permission to use the USC (the real USC, not that half a state one) logo.
Howard Garner

I guess you need to talk with right person to ask, most imagine don't want to take the time to acknowledge
that you can use it. How far up the chain did you have to go? Did Public Affairs or Relations get er done?

Howard Garner
04-17-2012, 5:27 PM
I guess you need to talk with right person to ask, most imagine don't want to take the time to acknowledge
that you can use it. How far up the chain did you have to go? Did Public Affairs or Relations get er done?

Found all the information and contacts on their web site. Handled everything via email. Did some site searches on logo, etc.

Howard Garner

Martin Boekers
04-17-2012, 5:43 PM
Found all the information and contacts on their web site. Handled everything via email. Did some site searches on logo, etc.

Howard Garner

Thats great it worked directly through the college, I'll have to try it. Most sports like
baseball suggest you go to MLB as they hold they licsencing agreements and are the
only ones that can authorize use. Maybe the guys I talked with didn't want to be
bothered with it! :)

William Milligan
04-17-2012, 8:25 PM
I am not an EXPERT BUT....if it is a Trademark or Copyrighted then I would say not...they make money off their logos. I've done some work for a few Starbucks stores on which I've put their new logo but that was for stores and I was really doing it to demonstrate what we can do (Made some displays for them and it has acutually brought me business when folks began to ask questions).
Being in South Texas I've often thought of creating Texas Longhorn emblasoned things but the UT logo is trademarked and so haven't tried...just don't want to end up hanging myself...

Bill Cunningham
04-17-2012, 10:48 PM
I think the most asked for logos, are the ones that will get you sued the fastest.. Harley Davidson and Disney..:eek:
I have also done quite a bit of work for Star Bucks over the last few years. They are using a lot of recycled wood and stuff for their new store and want their logo and slogans on all the pieces.. Many beer companies will allow one-offs for mirrors etc. in home bars. You just have to have the customer ask in a polite letter, and get the answer in writing on their letterhead.