PDA

View Full Version : Crepe myrtle??

Richard Dooling
04-16-2012, 7:17 PM
Hi everyone,

We are going to have a crepe myrtle removed. The trunk is big enough for for some smallish turnings but the only turner I've ever talked to (in my vast experience:cool:) told me it was a pretty difficult wood to turn. Here in Norfolk though it is a tree with a lot of local history so I'm interested.

Anyone have any experience with this wood?

Thanks,
Richard

I have so many flat projects I need to get into, and then I look at the lathe . . .

Thomas Canfield
04-16-2012, 7:44 PM
I have used crepe myrtle for some pens from dried limbs. I tried to same some larger wood one time, but it split too bad for use. I did not get it sealed for a couple of days after it was cut in the spring and full of sap and that could have been a factor. It is now spring and wood will be full of sap, so I would seal it as soon as cut and even cut the ends again if they are several hours old and then seal.

Marty Eargle
04-16-2012, 7:45 PM
I just turned a few small doo dads from some Crepe Myrtle limbs about 5" in diameter. I turned it green so shavings came off like butter, but I couldn't exactly get a clean cut. After sanding, and sanding, and sanding...I put a light oil finish on and buffed. The wood left plenty to be desired. Very light and plain.

Jason Ritchie
04-16-2012, 8:53 PM
I have turned some crepe myrtle that got uprooted by the tornado that came through here a few years back. You never know what it will look like inside until you cut it up. Some of mine had nice grain and figure near the crotch then there some was some that was a real creamy off-white color. It looked a bit like ivory and I though it would make some nice chess pieces. Some of it was just a plain grey color and kind of ugly though. Thomas was right, it will crack very rapidly and all the way through. I would cut it up and see what looks good then probably put two coats of anchor seal on it. I would also apply the sealant up at least an inch or so from the ends as well.

Jim Underwood
04-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Makes great ornament bodies- globe and finial or birdhouse. The fine grain and light color are almost ideal for that application

Richard Dooling
04-17-2012, 8:52 PM
Thanks for the replies! I think I'll just keep a bit of it. I like the idea of turning some small pieces for family and locals. This is a wood that has a lot of local history.

From a gardening site, "Why crepe myrtles? Its entrance to the region can be traced to colonial times, and crepe myrtles work well for the area, blooming throughout the summer. At the time McDonald was trying to start the festival, the folks there asked themselves, “What are plants that have long-term durability that really are a success in our area?’” Anderson says. “Crepe myrtle is easily one of the most successful plants that we could grow in the landscape and probably is still underutilized.” Whole streets in Norfolk, Va., are lined with 80-year-old crepe myrtles, he adds.
“Some of the biggest crepe myrtles in the country are here,” he says. “A parks director for the city of Norfolk, who has long since passed away, had been an advocate of the crepe myrtle. For years, he would plant two crepe myrtles in front of anybody’s house who called up and asked.”

Maybe not an ideal turner's wood but maybe a great gift wood!

Thanks again