PDA

View Full Version : Curved vs Straight pullsaw profile

Matt Lau
04-16-2012, 1:34 PM
I recently bought some air dried walnut boards.
I'd like to resaw them into guitar sets by hand.

Any thoughts on a straight vs curved profile for resawing?
I only use Japanese saws, so I'm curious.
Also, I'd like to know more about resaw specific japanese saws.

-Matt

Harlan Barnhart
04-16-2012, 8:37 PM
I can hardly make those pistol grip pull saws work. I think they are for people who are accustomed to starting the cut on the far side (as with a push saw) rather than on the near side. Give me a straight handle for my pull saws.

David Weaver
04-16-2012, 8:57 PM
I would use a western carpenter's saw with little set to resaw before I would use any of my pullsaws to resaw.

I guess you'll be working boards at least 8 inches wide if you're doing guitar parts. I would plow a 1/8th groove on each side of the board where you want the cut to be and then make the cut, alternating from one side to the other to keep the cut nice.

But I wouldn't do it with any of my japanese saws, my hands would be numb by the time I was done with it.

Walnut, at least, will be one of the more compliant woods to cut, it yields to hand saws nicely.

Sam Murdoch
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM
I am very fond of my Silky handsaws. My response to your question of curved vs straight is:
Curved are excellent for fast cuts where accuracy is secondary to just getting it done - cutting tress for example.
Straight are more precise and allow a long pull with many teeth engaged and so following a line is better achieved.
Not saying I'm right - just reporting my experience.

Sam

Wilbur Pan
04-17-2012, 7:34 AM
I did a short writeup on Tanaka Kiyoto, a Japanese luthier who resaws boards for the guitars he makes. He uses a saw with a fairly coarse tpi. More info here (http://giantcypress.net/post/20771749836/resawing-technique-by-tanaka-kiyoto-a-japanese).

If you are using a ryoba, you'll want the biggest one with the coarsest tpi you can get. A curved profile on the tooth line seems to be useful for log sawing, but I don't know if it will add much to resawing a board.

Jim Matthews
04-17-2012, 7:29 PM
That is without doubt the dullest woodworking video I have ever seen.

I can't imagine being the human counterweight trying to keep sawdust out of my collar.
Even the shop dog couldn't stay awake for the full three minutes.

Having resawn cherry for my dining table, I have a renewed appreciation for my bandsaw.

As Tanaka-sama has demonstrated, it can be done, but it's no fun.229939 The curved blade will allow your arms to swing in a more natural arc.
If you're like me, you won't be able to let go of the saw after awhile.

Chris Vandiver
04-17-2012, 11:57 PM
That is without doubt the dullest woodworking video I have ever seen.

I can't imagine being the human counterweight trying to keep sawdust out of my collar.
Even the shop dog couldn't stay awake for the full three minutes.

Having resawn cherry for my dining table, I have a renewed appreciation for my bandsaw.

As Tanaka-sama has demonstrated, it can be done, but it's no fun.229939 The curved blade will allow your arms to swing in a more natural arc.
If you're like me, you won't be able to let go of the saw after awhile.

That was my exact same thought and on top of that, there was no payoff. He still was only half way through the board when the video ended. I felt let down.

Aaron Rappaport
04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
About 12:13 in, this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9Nvw-5prTA&feature=related) shows an old japanese painting of two guys using a *bow* saw to resaw! I was very surprised by this. Come to think of it though, I've also seen a youtube video of two japanese guys using a huge kataba *horizontally* to rip. Apparently, all woodworking cultures have discovered the advantages of having a set of eyes on the line on both sides of the cut.