PDA

View Full Version : Does a stationary edge sander typically replace a stationary belt sander?

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 11:53 AM
I have a stationary disc/belt sander. I have never used the disc. There have been many times I think a stationary edge sander would have been nice to have. If I were to purchase one, is there much of a reason to also keep the belt sander?

Matt Meiser
04-16-2012, 11:55 AM
It did for me. I suspect it has a lot to do with what you use your sander for. But there was nothing I was doing with my belt/disc sander that I can't do with my edge sander and there's a lot I can do with my edge sander that I couldn't do with my belt/disc. I traded the belt/disc for a nice miter saw.

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 12:07 PM
It did for me. I suspect it has a lot to do with what you use your sander for. But there was nothing I was doing with my belt/disc sander that I can't do with my edge sander and there's a lot I can do with my edge sander that I couldn't do with my belt/disc. I traded the belt/disc for a nice miter saw.

Matt - Which edge sander did you get? Are you happy with it?

Cary Falk
04-16-2012, 12:31 PM
I have never had a belt disc sander but I have used one before. To me the edge sander is much more useful. I also feel that there isn't anthing I can't do with my edge sander that I could with a belt disc combo. I purchased the Jet OES and love it. My only complaint is that the table is ground rougher than I would like but it sounds like my grind is standard.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2012, 12:45 PM
I bought the Grizzly 6x80 with the laminate table. I have two complaints. First is that the table warped badly (common complaint) so I replaced it with one made from thick maple. Second, its not big enough--would love to have one with platen big enough for 42" tall doors. Overall its great though.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 1:48 PM
As Matt and Cary have mentioned the sdge sander will do pretty much anything a belt sander will and a whole lot more. What is your budget?

If you want the 42" platen like Matt does that usually means a 132" belt or more.

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 2:07 PM
I haven't really considered how much I am willing to pay maximum, but have been looking at the JET. Being an Amazon prime member, there would be no charge for shipping. Size-wise I don't think I would need anything longer, but I am bit concerned about some of the reviews on Amazon's site. There seems to be a complaint about both the table height adjustment and angle adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/708447-OES-80CS-2-Horsepower-Oscillating-230-Volt/dp/B000BWENZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334582009&sr=1-4

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 2:13 PM
Matt - Are you running your JET at 110 or 220? What size circuit do you have it on? The tech support guy at JET recommended a 40 amp circuit if run at 110 (which is what I will likely do). Wow...40 amps.

Matt Meiser
04-16-2012, 2:21 PM
I have the Grizzly, but running it on 110. Its only a 1.5HP motor.

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 2:23 PM
I have the Grizzly, but running it on 110. Its only a 1.5HP motor.

My mistake. Sorry. That question was meant for Cary. BTW, the JET is also only 1.5 HP.

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 2:25 PM
I haven't really considered how much I am willing to pay maximum, but have been looking at the JET. Being an Amazon prime member, there would be no charge for shipping. Size-wise I don't think I would need anything longer, but I am bit concerned about some of the reviews on Amazon's site. There seems to be a complaint about both the table height adjustment and angle adjustment.

http://www.amazon.com/708447-OES-80CS-2-Horsepower-Oscillating-230-Volt/dp/B000BWENZK/ref=sr_1_4?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1334582009&sr=1-4

Jet and Powermatic include liftgate delivery in their prices so it should be the same from anywhere. If you are not in a hurry you can wait until the next 15% off sale, the last one ended a few weeks ago. You may also want to call Toolnut they seems to beat others prices on a regular basis but I haven't ordered from them.

The Jet seems to be the best at the price point although it isn't perfect. You have to make a pretty sizable jump in price to make a huge difference.

Mike Heidrick
04-16-2012, 2:25 PM
I really wish everyon in the market for an OES could come look at my Vega OES. It is seriously one heck of a nice machine for the $$. The main platen is a ground steel I-beam with graphite overlay. It has a 6"X132" belt and you can buy some super nice belts from 3M for it. You can add a second side table to the other side, and end table for curved work, selectable curved platen for the other side, rally a ton of options. The seperate oscilating motor is a Baldor and the main motor is a 2hp Leeson the size of my 5hp baldors. Super nice and built in the USA in Decatur IL. Do yourself a favor and try and see one in perosn before buying the Jet/Griz/PM/Deltas. Best OES under $2K from all my research. Do a search on EBS-6 or vega woodworking. It is a serious machine. Looking at the website you would never guess - when you see it in person you know that it is the one to buy and you just save up for the difference in cost.

Cary Falk
04-16-2012, 3:24 PM
I am running mine on 120V. I am not sure if it is switchable over to 240V. The table height is a PITA but easily fixed with a 8" c clamp from HF

Glen Blanchard
04-16-2012, 3:27 PM
I am running mine on 120V. I am not sure if it is switchable over to 240V. The table height is a PITA but easily fixed with a 8" c clamp from HF

Cary - Do you happen to know what size circuit its on?

Cary Falk
04-16-2012, 3:31 PM
It's on a 15A circuit and I usually have a TV and probably other stuff running without any problems

Van Huskey
04-16-2012, 3:39 PM
I really wish everyon in the market for an OES could come look at my Vega OES. It is seriously one heck of a nice machine for the $$. The main platen is a ground steel I-beam with graphite overlay. It has a 6"X132" belt and you can buy some super nice belts from 3M for it. You can add a second side table to the other side, and end table for curved work, selectable curved platen for the other side, rally a ton of options. The seperate oscilating motor is a Baldor and the main motor is a 2hp Leeson the size of my 5hp baldors. Super nice and built in the USA in Decatur IL. Do yourself a favor and try and see one in perosn before buying the Jet/Griz/PM/Deltas. Best OES under $2K from all my research. Do a search on EBS-6 or vega woodworking. It is a serious machine. Looking at the website you would never guess - when you see it in person you know that it is the one to buy and you just save up for the difference in cost.

Mike, as you know I am a BIG fan as well, if Glen's budget allows it would be #1 on my list until you make another BIG jump up in budget!

Steve Kohn
04-16-2012, 9:56 PM
I've got the Powermatic non-oscillating 89 inch belt model (same machine as Jet with a different color). It is running on 115V 20 amp circuit with no issue. I picked it off Craigslist pretty cheaply. If I was willing to spend 5X the money I would have gone with the Vega. It is a great machine.

And to answer the OP, I got rid of my disc/belt sander when I got the Powermatic. However, since then I've gotten a very good deal on a Powermatic 30B that I'm trying to find time to restore. I'm not sure whether I'll keep it or not.

Glen Blanchard
04-17-2012, 10:37 AM

Good idea, Cary. I have a few questions for you.

Did you place one at each end of the table? I suppose it doesn't really matter much if the table is absolute level as long as it (the miter slot) is parallel with the belt and the desired table:belt angle is maintained.
Did you consider placing just one (beefier) threaded adjusters in the center?
Do you also tighten the stock knobs under the table once the desired height is achieved or do you leave those loose and rely totally on your threaded adjusters to bear the weight of the table?
How often do you find a need to change the height of the table? Is it primarily to use a cleaner portion of the belt?

Sam Layton
04-17-2012, 12:13 PM
I also have the Vega. However, mine is non-oscillating. The thing I like about the Vega is that I can add the parts kit to make it oscillating. I found mine on Craig List in new condition.

The edge sander is my go to sander. I have a belt/disk sander that is collecting dust...

Sam

Cary Falk
04-17-2012, 1:45 PM
Did you place one at each end of the table? I suppose it doesn't really matter much if the table is absolute level as long as it (the miter slot) is parallel with the belt and the desired table:belt angle is maintained. I only used one and it is centered on the table both left to right and back to front. The table doesn't need to be level. A lot of people with non-oscillating sanders ramp the table to use the belt more evenly. I am not affecting the miter slot to platten parallelism. I'm not sure how parallel it is in the first place since the table locking mechanim isnot preion.
Did you consider placing just one (beefier) threaded adjusters in the center? It is in the center. It doesn't have to be real beefy because you are not holding the table, you are just raising it. I use the lock knobs when I get the table where I want it.
Do you also tighten the stock knobs under the table once the desired height is achieved or do you leave those loose and rely totally on your threaded adjusters to bear the weight of the table? I lock the table. There is only on thread tht is centered and pushing down on either end of the tabel will moe it if I don't
How often do you find a need to change the height of the table? Is it primarily to use a cleaner portion of the belt? Not very often. Yes.

Mike Heidrick
04-17-2012, 1:47 PM
In the other thread I posted pics of the Vega and many of its options. As with any American company I would buy the options I wanted now for fear in a few years they may not be available and it sure would be a shame not to get them. The Vega guys used to read the forums so ask any questions.

I angle my table diagonally down the path of the paper width (still perpendicular to the platen) and between that and the oscillation I get awesome use out of the full belt.

Glen Blanchard
04-17-2012, 1:51 PM
I only used one and it is centered on the table both left to right and back to front.

Cary - From the photos, it sure looks like you placed it up against one of the vertical table supports (which would place it closer to one end of the table). Are those pics of your sander?

Cary Falk
04-17-2012, 2:33 PM
Cary - From the photos, it sure looks like you placed it up against one of the vertical table supports (which would place it closer to one end of the table). Are those pics of your sander?

Yeah, it's mine. Here is a picture before I installed the lift. See how offcentered the table is?

Glen Blanchard
04-17-2012, 2:46 PM
Yep. It's offset. I see that now. The other photos are a bit deceiving. Thanks.