PDA

View Full Version : Whats the deal with classified section

Mitchell Miracle
04-16-2012, 11:02 AM
I wanted to post an item for sale but I guess I do not have permission to do so. What is the procedure for posting in the classifieds. I have been a member here since 2009. I do not do much posting but I am a huge lurker (Ha). Dont' want to list on EBAY if I don't have to. Wanted to offer to woodworkers on this forum first. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Bob Lloyd
04-16-2012, 11:17 AM
I believe that you have to be a contributor to post an article for sale in the classified section.

Bruce Page
04-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Mitchell, Our Classifieds Forum is only open to Contributors. Contributors donate a requested minimum of $6 annually to help support the site. As Contributors, they have additional privileges among which is the ability to post ads in the Classifieds Forum

You can become a Contributor by using the Donate button at the top of the page.

Matt Day
04-16-2012, 11:19 AM
It's entirely worth the $6 too!

Kent A Bathurst
04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
C'mon in - the water's fine.

The huge lurker's fee is a lousy 6 bucks........I'm betting you've gotten 6 bucks worth of good info here. :D

Mitchell Miracle
04-16-2012, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the info. You are correct that it is well worth the 6 bucks. I will pay to play any day. Wow....Cat in the Hat moment. Thanks guys.

Carl Beckett
04-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Glad you are stepping up Mitchell.

BTW - donations arent limited to $6 so you can always pay more (Im serious - its a great site and worth well more than $6 - I chipped in a few more).

It still amazes me how many arent compelled to make a donation. I would likely stay a member even if it cost me 10x that amount. I figure I would spend more than that on books, and would only learn a fraction of what I learn here.

Mitchell Miracle
04-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Ageed. I have completed the process and have posted my plane in the classifieds. Thanks for the help.

Keith Westfall
04-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Friend of the Creek! $50 a year (Just about $4.10 month...)

Really good value and a great chance to support 'the creek'.

Dave Mura
04-17-2012, 1:52 PM
It's a great website loaded with lots of information, that's why I contributed :)
http://chdsolutions.com/img/11d867796d85db8cad5280ac44cec7c1.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/a57d48399922b03419153a9760c5ce53.jpghttp://chdsolutions.com/img/cabad3b9bc0afe08cd9ec861638ed1d9.gif

Richard Dragin
04-19-2012, 1:02 PM
Content is very valuable to a forum and why it attracts more people. With large numbers of people a forum can sell advertising which is lucrative. Without people posting on a forum there would be no content. If you post information you are "contributing" to the forum. If you wish to volunteer money to the forum that is your choice. There should be no guilt or aspersions cast if you choose not to. The forum has every right to offer premium features for a fee. "Contributor" isn't the best choice of label for those who wish to pay.

bob hertle
04-19-2012, 1:12 PM
Content is very valuable to a forum and why it attracts more people. With large numbers of people a forum can sell advertising which is lucrative. Without people posting on a forum there would be no content. If you post information you are "contributing" to the forum. If you wish to volunteer money to the forum that is your choice. There should be no guilt or aspersions cast if you choose not to. The forum has every right to offer premium features for a fee. "Contributor" isn't the best choice of label for those who wish to pay.

Well said, Richard!

Harold Burrell
04-19-2012, 4:41 PM

con·trib·u·tor /kənˈtrɪbyətər/ Show Spelled[kuhn-trib-yuh-ter]
noun 1. a person who contributes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/browse/contribute) money, assistance, etc.
2. a person who contributes (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/browse/contribute) an article, story, etc., to a newspaper, magazine, or the like.

Hmmm...looks like both you and SMC are right.

scott vroom
04-19-2012, 5:19 PM

Richard, you're playing semantics with the word "contributor". We're all intelligent enough to know that contributions can come in many forms including financial and editorial etc. You and all other non-paying contributors are under no pressure to donate as evidenced by the fact that you're allowed the privalege of free, limited participation on this forum by the forum administrators. I believe you are confusing paying contributor's enthusiasm with pressure....that's not what's going on here. You are correct that high forum membership often correlates with higher advertising dollars. One of the attractive aspects of this forum is that the administrators choose to not sell out to massive advertising and instead operate on a minimum budget. Personally, I make no distinction between paying and non-paying contributors. I choose to pay; whichever you choose is your business.

Bob Lloyd
04-19-2012, 5:39 PM
Richard, you're playing semantics with the word "contributor". We're all intelligent enough to know that contributions can come in many forms including financial and editorial etc. You and all other non-paying contributors are under no pressure to donate as evidenced by the fact that you're allowed the privalege of free, limited participation on this forum by the forum administrators. I believe you are confusing paying contributor's enthusiasm with pressure....that's not what's going on here. You are correct that high forum membership often correlates with higher advertising dollars. One of the attractive aspects of this forum is that the administrators choose to not sell out to massive advertising and instead operate on a minimum budget. Personally, I make no distinction between paying and non-paying contributors. I choose to pay; whichever you choose is your business.

Well put Scott. We are all contributors in one way or another.

Richard Dragin
04-19-2012, 6:28 PM
I don't really think I am playing a game with the language or trying to insult anyone's intelligence. There are definite benefits to being a paid contributor and turning off banner ads is certainly one of them.

To keep this on topic.....Knowing that you are dealing with someone who has linked a Paypal account or sent in a personal check to the forum, while not a guarantee, certainly decreases the chance that you are dealing with a scammer. Now if it was paid with a Western Union money order, all bets are off.;)
I wonder if SMC incurs some liabilty because of this policy?