PDA

View Full Version : salvaging firewood

Lee Alkureishi
04-16-2012, 9:41 AM
Hi all,

I see multiple posts with projects completed from"firewood", which obviously hasn't been processed in the "ideal" way (pith removed, ends sealed, etc). How are you guys working with this type of wood?

1) cutting around the cracks?
2) fixing cracks with CA glue?
3) turning the whole log, with pith, or chopping up smaller pieces?

I have quite a few logs that I'd like to use, that are unprocessed like this - walnut, honey locust, and a few others - looking forward to seeing how best to tackle these!

Lee

Steve Leibold
04-16-2012, 2:57 PM
I'll find the biggest crack and cut the log in half lengthwise through this crack and the pith. Then I cut a couple inches off the ends and see what I have left. If it's still badly cracked it stays on the firewood pile and I grab the next one. But a lot of times the cracks are more on the surface and ends than inside the log. Even if it's real dry sometimes they will continue to crack after being cut up like this, especially harder woods. I've had better luck with soft maple, boxelder, walnut, poplar; not so much luck with hard maple, locust.

John Aspinall
04-16-2012, 9:10 PM
Most of my pieces are just for practice, but I'm enjoying the process of cutting open some less-then-ideal wood and seeing what emerges.
Like Steve says above, this sugar maple branch had cracked at the ends, but the center was (fairly) solid. CA glue in the cracks; I've still got some repairs to do on these ones.

Lee Alkureishi
04-17-2012, 11:13 AM
Thanks for the tips folks - time to break out the chainsaw :)

Lee